Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2021, 02:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #21850
Slide Trouble, Need Service in the SouthWest

tldr: My slide is misbehaving badly and I am looking for a good shop somewhere in the SW, maybe Tuscon or Phoenix.

Long story:

I got a used 2016 ACE 30.2 (this has the bunks and a full wall slide). We have been mostly full-time in it since last November.

The slide never sounded that great, but I figured that was how slides might sound. First RV. The controller also would flash 9 times sometimes, which is a hall sensor short to ground, but it always worked.

Last week we had trouble getting it out. It would go a few inches and then stop. It looked like it was struggling in the bottom front. I put my feet on it and heavily assisted it into starting. We didn't have any trouble getting it back in. We were in an RV park and very level on the jacks. I saw a few loose screws on the tracks and put them back in. I tried "retiming" it according to the instructions.

Next time we weren't nearly as level and couldn't get it out again, I put my feet on it and it went out after an initial push.

Then...when we tried to put it back in, it only went a few inches and stopped. It was flashing 6 times on motor 2, which is a short in the motor. It wouldn't move at all. Unfortunately we are in Big Bend Ranch State Park TX where there is no cell service, no RV shops, etc. etc. (beautiful though!) Kinda freaked out and tried a bunch of things. We tried the electronic override, pushing on it, disconnecting the motors and pushing, etc. We took all of the weight off the slide (food under the benches, clothes in the closet etc). We releveled the coach a few times and eventually it went right in. (phew, that would have been a huge, huge problem). (For the record, pushing the slide in manually is a bit of a joke, this thing is massive).

One of the rubber/metal wheels under the front track doesn't look that great, perhaps a bit smashed? Perhaps we had too much weight on it? No obvious wiring problems, but it runs under the floor somewhere and I can't see all of it. But the wiring isn't pinched by the motors. The motors must be working since the slide does work sometimes. The tracks don't look chewed up and I can't find any obvious obstructions.

So...this is a little beyond me. We are stuck in turtle mode and want to find a good shop somewhere in the SW to look at it. We are flexible on location. The priority is someone who isn't going to sit on it for 6 weeks and we have to rent AirBnB etc. It seems like the parts have pretty good availability online at least.

I am thinking Tucson or Phoenix. I would rather be in AZ than TX. I went to a good shop in ABQ, but even he said you can get better service in AZ. Any suggestions? (I have heard nothing but great things about Camping World hahaha....).

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2021, 03:14 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I feel your pain. Slide issues are my worst nightmare fortunately for us no issues so far, (knock on wood!)
If no one on the site has a recommendation I would call Thor customer service and ask if they could advise you, either A) on troubleshooting your issue or B) recommending a good RV repair shop.
Good luck and keep us in the loop on how it goes.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:25 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A shop that kicks the can an entire state to the left really meant:
We don't want to deal with this at all.

What kind of better service did he mean?
Timely, experienced?

However:
If the Campers World in Tucson has a tech there named Rob, ask for him. I'd trust him with anything.
If he remembers the 4x4 axis, it's him. If he doesn't, you're on your own.
Take 20 $1 tacos when you first walk into the service department.(trust me on this)

Personally,
I'd get that slide bolted shut and do nothingness to it until I was at home base.

Lots of crap techs out there.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:16 PM   #4

THOR #21850
Haha, good point on the tacos. we aren't sliding this out until I am in front of an RV repair place. Google has some decently rated small shops in Phoenix and Mesa that is what I am thinking.

The more I think about it, I think the slide is maybe riding low. But it is very hard to tell with all of the seals in place etc.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #5

THOR #21850
Update: made an appointment in Tucson at Carl's RV. Gets very good reviews on google and the woman on the phone was super great.

They said that they generally replace the entire system (somewhere around $2500 parts and labor). Three weeks to get parts from Lippert. They have replaced individual parts in the past, but then it comes back again broken. I am inclined to believe them, but they are looking at it in a week and a half.

So turtle mode for at least a month.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorner View Post
Update: made an appointment in Tucson at Carl's RV. Gets very good reviews on google and the woman on the phone was super great.

They said that they generally replace the entire system (somewhere around $2500 parts and labor). Three weeks to get parts from Lippert. They have replaced individual parts in the past, but then it comes back again broken. I am inclined to believe them, but they are looking at it in a week and a half.

So turtle mode for at least a month.

I’m always pretty skeptical of any service center that just wants to replace everything - especially if they haven’t even looked at it yet. Do the proper diagnostics and then fix what’s broken. Just my opinion though. In any event, good luck.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:07 AM   #7

THOR #21850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I’m always pretty skeptical of any service center that just wants to replace everything - especially if they haven’t even looked at it yet. Do the proper diagnostics and then fix what’s broken. Just my opinion though. In any event, good luck.
Their point was that when they only replaced what was broken, it broke again anyway, but we will see what they say in person. I just ran into someone at the campground we are at now....they asked "how do you like you ACE, we have one". I said "not so much at the moment because the slide broke". Turns out, theirs did too and (in Zion) and they had the whole things replaced as well.

Fingers crossed for a lasting repair.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:38 PM   #8

Model: Palazzo
State: Alaska
THOR #20592
THOR slide issue

If its the 2 motor 20 footer slide, Thor has had nothing but problems with this one. They have now gone to a three rail system which I'm sure is much better.

BRING A BIG CHECK!!!!

Cost me $5000. with three trips for repair.

Best to replace all components. Found that out the hard way.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:58 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Tucson RV Repair

If Tucson, Cameron's Reliable should be able to hook you up.

Call and get a 'quote', not an estimate. I thought he was a little pricey but I might have been a little naïve at the time (newbie). He gets great reviews and sure knew his stuff.

Cameron Reliable Maintenance
(520) 490-7632
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=lc...2975907477;mv:[[32.62662613909175,-110.05140315722656],[31.90900581589886,-111.55653011035157]]
Old 03-07-2021, 01:12 AM   #10

State: Ohio
THOR #15042
Quote:
tldr: My slide is misbehaving badly and I am looking for a good shop somewhere in the SW, maybe Tuscon or Phoenix.

Long story:

I got a used 2016 ACE 30.2 (this has the bunks and a full wall slide). We have been mostly full-time in it since last November.

The slide never sounded that great, but I figured that was how slides might sound. First RV. The controller also would flash 9 times sometimes, which is a hall sensor short to ground, but it always worked.

Last week we had trouble getting it out. It would go a few inches and then stop. It looked like it was struggling in the bottom front. I put my feet on it and heavily assisted it into starting. We didn't have any trouble getting it back in. We were in an RV park and very level on the jacks. I saw a few loose screws on the tracks and put them back in. I tried "retiming" it according to the instructions.

Next time we weren't nearly as level and couldn't get it out again, I put my feet on it and it went out after an initial push.

Then...when we tried to put it back in, it only went a few inches and stopped. It was flashing 6 times on motor 2, which is a short in the motor. It wouldn't move at all. Unfortunately we are in Big Bend Ranch State Park TX where there is no cell service, no RV shops, etc. etc. (beautiful though!) Kinda freaked out and tried a bunch of things. We tried the electronic override, pushing on it, disconnecting the motors and pushing, etc. We took all of the weight off the slide (food under the benches, clothes in the closet etc). We releveled the coach a few times and eventually it went right in. (phew, that would have been a huge, huge problem). (For the record, pushing the slide in manually is a bit of a joke, this thing is massive).

One of the rubber/metal wheels under the front track doesn't look that great, perhaps a bit smashed? Perhaps we had too much weight on it? No obvious wiring problems, but it runs under the floor somewhere and I can't see all of it. But the wiring isn't pinched by the motors. The motors must be working since the slide does work sometimes. The tracks don't look chewed up and I can't find any obvious obstructions.

So...this is a little beyond me. We are stuck in turtle mode and want to find a good shop somewhere in the SW to look at it. We are flexible on location. The priority is someone who isn't going to sit on it for 6 weeks and we have to rent AirBnB etc. It seems like the parts have pretty good availability online at least.

I am thinking Tucson or Phoenix. I would rather be in AZ than TX. I went to a good shop in ABQ, but even he said you can get better service in AZ. Any suggestions? (I have heard nothing but great things about Camping World hahaha....).

Thanks!
Sorry can’t help call lipert customer service. No slides for me anymore
Old 03-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #11

Model: 34j hurricane
THOR #20884
I hate reading slide out issues knowing one day it will happen to me.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance1 View Post
I hate reading slide out issues knowing one day it will happen to me.

I had a dreaded failure to retract once when preparing to leave a campground. After an anguished hour of handwringing I got down to work and figured out how to do a manual retract. It turned out to be not very difficult and from that day forward I was never worried about it again. Mine was not a full wall slide but it was still pretty large and I was very surprised how easy it was to push in manually. I recommend that you learn and try a manual retract some nice day when you have time. It’ll beat the heck out of trying to figure it out someday when it’s raining and you have to be somewhere else. You’ll also be sure to have the few needed tools - a ladder, screw driver and a short length of 2x4 to serve as a slide lock.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #13
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:

Thanks!
I trust you have solved your slide issue by now...Having read all the responses to your initial post...
I WANT TO ADD ... be sure to get some Silicone Spray ... and spray your slide rails when the slide is out...and before you retract it...it sure helps.We spray all rubber on our motorhome ! GOOD LUCK !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:02 PM   #14

THOR #21850
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
I trust you have solved your slide issue by now...Having read all the responses to your initial post...
I WANT TO ADD ... be sure to get some Silicone Spray ... and spray your slide rails when the slide is out...and before you retract it...it sure helps.We spray all rubber on our motorhome ! GOOD LUCK !
Not solved yet! We have the parts ordered, so still about three weeks until the install. About $2700 total to replace everything. We are working with Carl's RV in Tucson. So far they have been fantastic.... Super nice.

I have a can of CRC to use when it is fixed.

I asked why it failed: "because it is a Schwintek".
Old 03-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #15

Model: 34j hurricane
THOR #20884
Wishing you happiness once done.