Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Slideout stops part way while retracting

I have a 2018 Chateau 31E, and the slideout often stops part way while retracting. It will usually retract after extending and attempting to retract several times. There are no error codes indicated on the controller, and it appears to be a mechanical binding problem rather than electrical.

It looks like both the front and the rear of the slide move in a few inches, then the rear of the slide stops while the front continues for another couple of inches, then the motors shut off.

The gear tracks on the slide look okay, and I tightened their mounting screws.

I have followed the procedure to synchronize the motors, but this didn't resolve the problem.

Any suggestions on what I should check next?

Old 11-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
The auto reset breaker is getting weak. LCI repacked mine with a 80 amp and I never had another problem
Old 11-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #3

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
The auto reset breaker is getting weak. LCI repacked mine with a 80 amp and I never had another problem

Where is that breaker located?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I had the same problem on my ACE; one motor stops intermittently and the other continues until the slide is cocked and the working motor stops due to overcurrent. My fix was to replace the intermittently stopping motor. The commutator and brushes had worn to the point they would lose contact.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:10 PM   #5

State: Ohio
THOR #15559
Angry Slide Retract Failure on ACE 29.3

I have a 2017 Thor ACE 29.3 with a full side slide out. This morning I could not retract the slide. After ensuring there were no obstructions and trying EVERYTHING the THOR manual and help desk prescribed, nothing worked. So finally I decided to manually adjust the leveling jacks to raise the SLIDE side of my coach above level. WHA LA! The slide finally retracted normally.

My conclusion - Full side slides are nice BUT, the motors used on them are marginally able to produce the torque necessary to move them. YOU MUST BE LEVEL OR SLIGHTLY OFF LEVEL TO THE ADVANTAGE OF THE SLIDE. In my case, despite being certain I was level, I had to get unlevel to help the motors bring the slide back in.

I may find I have other underlying issues with one or more motors. But this slide has been deployed maybe 25-30 times in its short life. If motors are failing already then I'm really pissed.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
But if you raise the slide side above level won’t the slide motors have trouble extending the slide? Or do you have that side low when extending and high when retracting? Good luck getting to the bottom of it all.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:33 PM   #7

THOR #15559
Arrow Thor Slide

Yes - while I have not had any trouble extending the slide I would assume that dipping that side down slightly would be OK. Frankly though, if it won't go out on command and on the level I wouldn't work too hard to get it out for fear of not getting it to retract.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #8

THOR #15559
Exclamation Thor ACE 29.3 Slide failures

Reported earlier on failures to retract my full-side slide on a ACE 29.3.

Though I had not used the slide a whole lot in two years time, I took the unit in for non-warranty repair and learned that one of the high torque motors had gone bad. I had both motors replaced. $1100!

The slide works normally again. BUT, I am very uncomfortable with this slide out. It is a BIG box. I try to ensure all unnecessary weight is removed from the slide (like tools, liquids, and kids) before pulling the slide back in.

If I buy again I will avoid buying a coach with such a long slide-out. The high torque motors are simply at their max dealing with this one.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Replacing the circuit breaker from 50 amp to an 80 amp should cure that problem, it's been an issue for a few years.
As to leveling & the slide moving easily, I'd recommend manually level your coach so the slide moves in/out with ease then recalibrate the levelling system in that position, then every time you auto level it should go to that same position regardless of how/where you're parked. Not sure on your coach so you'll need to read as to how to calibrate the system, just a matter of pushing buttons on the display panel, shouldn't have to do it again.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote