Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2022, 12:11 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I would never own something I couldn't use. Maybe you should look at a coach with no slides.

I would never own something I couldn’t “trust”.

I know most slides don’t fail, but enough do that I don’t trust their reliability enough to risk consequences of a failure. It would be different for me if there were no other options, but with added RV length and or efficient floor plan, it’s a problem that can be avoided completely if one is willing to compromise a little.

Old 04-22-2022, 12:20 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

I know most slides don’t fail, but enough do that I don’t trust their reliability enough to risk consequences of a failure. It would be different for me if there were no other options, but with added RV length and or efficient floor plan, it’s a problem that can be avoided completely if one is willing to compromise a little.

I think the Vroom slide system is a game changer for any Schwintek slide owner. I no longer cross my fingers when extending or retracting my slide. It’s at the bottom of my list of concerns when we are on the road now.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:34 AM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I would never own something I couldn't use. Maybe you should look at a coach with no slides.
Thanks LT. Actually, our Vegas 25.5 is perfectly useable with the slide retracted. Full access to everything - just a bit less room in the center isle.
Personally, I have never had a total slide failure - but - it was touch and go with our cable operated slide on our old Ragen Stryker 5th wheel a few times.

Of all the failures we’ve all read about in these online forums, it is the slide failure that is common across all brands and models. With that, I don’t think my concerns are ill founded..
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 12:39 AM   #24

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

There’s ALWAYS a manual procedure though. You just have to take the time to learn it, and maybe even practice it a time or two before it actually fails. Most people don’t. Still, if it was just me I might choose a slide less machine next time. Simplicity has its reward.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
There’s ALWAYS a manual procedure though. You just have to take the time to learn it, and maybe even practice it a time or two before it actually fails. Most people don’t. Still, if it was just me I might choose a slide less machine next time. Simplicity has its reward.
Just curious....
I went and checked the generic RV Pamphlet that Thor included as “the owners manual” with all my other paperwork, and there’s no mention of a manual procedure that I could find. Where should we be looking for this procedure?
Thanks!
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:48 AM   #26

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Just curious....
I went and checked the generic RV Pamphlet that Thor included as “the owners manual” with all my other paperwork, and there’s no mention of a manual procedure that I could find. Where should we be looking for this procedure?
Thanks!
You want to search the LCI / Schwintek documentation. There are two "manual" procedures:

1. There is one procedure for manually overriding the controller to bring in the slide. This assumes there is power to both motors. It overrides the encoder and the control mechanism that measures the RPM's of both motors to try and keep the slide coming in equally front to back.

2. You remove the set screw holding the motor in the bearing block so you can lift each motor out of the bearing block to manually push in the slide with two people.... or a college football team.... depending on the size and weight of the slide.

In the remote chance the slide is retracted and there is a nonfunctional motor, it will be VERY difficult to get the slide out enough to access the set screw to remove it to remove the motor.

There is one procedure that says remove the motor harness from the controller to release the electric breaking mechanism so you can manually push the slide. I call BS on that one completely..... at least for the 500:1 motor.

I had a spare 500:1 motor out and put a wrench on the keyed shaft and could not rotate the shaft regardless how much force I put on it the wrench. There is no way you are going to push a large slide out that is fully retracted if you can't get the motors out of the bearing block.

You would need to know exactly where the set screw is located and then drill a large enough hole through the trim to get to the head of the screw to loosen and remove it for each motor so you could get the motors out of the their bearing blocks.

Anyway...... here are some videos that should help.....

Old 04-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #27
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
With Schwintek slides (ALWAYS) hold the extend/retract button for 5 seconds after it is fully closed or open.This helps keeping the two motors in sync.
Old 04-23-2022, 04:22 PM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post

Agree. I’m fortunate that my wife isn’t a big fan of slides or of large motorhomes also, so agreeing on small motorhome without a slide isn’t an issue as much as finding the right one. Unfortunately smaller motorhomes either have poor floor plans or slides — sometimes both.

As I’ve mentioned before in other threads, fear of slide failure or breakdown isn’t my main objection anyway. I mostly don’t like how slides make a smaller motorhome look and feel inside when retracted. They also add weight and cost, plus most leak; it’s just a matter of how much and under what conditions. For us slides don’t offer enough value because we don’t need that much space.