Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2022, 12:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #20901
Slideout won't retract

2018 THOR WINDSPORT 29M
SLIDEOUT PROBLEM

During recent trip out west…
While retracting slideout one day, the slideout was more noisy than usual, then stopped about halfway in. I extended it abt 1”, then retracted again several times. Eventually, after a notable ‘pop’ sound, the slideout retracted successfully. Westward trip continued with normal slideout extension and retractions, although somewhat noisy. On return trip, again the slideout retraction stopped appr. midway. After cycling in/out several times the slideout was ‘stuck’ in midposition. My wife noticed that the bottom/rear track appeared to be the ‘stopping point’. After some consultation, I used the slideout override and was able to complete the retraction fully. The rest of the homeward trip was completed with the slideout fully retracted (resulting in much inconvenience due to the tight quarters). Now at home. I need to extend the slideout to unpack. Any experience/suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35m
THOR #13505
Had the same problems on our Hurricane 2020

Shop replaced all my motors with more powerful ones

I recall they took use from 3 hp to 5hp slide motors.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:28 PM   #3

THOR #20901
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
Had the same problems on our Hurricane 2020

Shop replaced all my motors with more powerful ones

I recall they took use from 3 hp to 5hp slide motors.
This AM, the slideout extension stopped after abt 2" travel. I used the 'bypass mode' to extend the slideout fully out. The wife was then able to retrieve all of our clothing from the closet area.

On the lower, rear slide channel, the screws holding the track in place were loose appr. 1/4" out. I retightened all 6 screws.

Questions:
1/ What does the 'bypass mode' on the slideout controller accomplish?? It appears to bypass the motor trip setpoints.
2/ How many motors are on the slideout ?? There appears to be six channels/tracks, i.e. 2 at top and one at bottom on each end.
3/ What was the appr. $$ cost reg. replacing with 5HP motors ??
Old 06-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM SNYDER View Post
This AM, the slideout extension stopped after abt 2" travel. I used the 'bypass mode' to extend the slideout fully out. The wife was then able to retrieve all of our clothing from the closet area.

On the lower, rear slide channel, the screws holding the track in place were loose appr. 1/4" out. I retightened all 6 screws.

Questions:
1/ What does the 'bypass mode' on the slideout controller accomplish?? It appears to bypass the motor trip setpoints.
2/ How many motors are on the slideout ?? There appears to be six channels/tracks, i.e. 2 at top and one at bottom on each end.
The mode is "Emergency Override". It removes all safety precautions built into the slide system. It allows full current to be supplied to the slides two motors and can cause the slide to cock and jam during extension or retraction.

Two motors and vary in price depending on model and reduction ratio of the motors. Yours are heavy duty, high torque 500:1 gear reduction. On rvupgrades.com they are About $225.
When the slide stops moving and is not at its limit, the controller will display an error code.
If you touch the extend or retract button again in will reset the controller and it will again try to move the slide, but usually the error code will not reappear.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:03 PM   #5

THOR #13505

Hey Jim
Have no clue how many motors or cost. Judge, Duck and rest probably know all that stuff.
Both my side motors and tracks were replaced while on 1st year warranty. We had issues like you posted.
I paid 2700 for 7-year warrantee with dealer repair shop at Riverside RV down the road from Cherry Point NC Marine base.
We pay NO copay when I use them.
Great example of my warranty, last week we had these issues in our rv

Bunk motors slowly creep down on the pens (motors ordered)
Wanted two more pull out drawers in pantry (order and installed)
Lippert step motor stripped (replaced)
Dinette table lift support (replaced)
Fixed a blind in bedroom
Washed and groom my rig to see if any other issues.
Cost me 70 bucks for drawers and 100 bucks tip to buy the shop lunch!
Looks like you are 300 miles away from the shop.
And dropped off and Wed last week and picked up last Saturday! We do call ahead to find out when good time to come in.
Service manager Tom is the man!

I did get laugh at, bought convention oven from Home Depot off the net and never check how much it weight. Almost 100 lbs., No way rig wall would ever support it! Ha
They are ordering me RV one now!
Old 06-01-2022, 09:59 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
3/ [snip]
I did get laugh at, bought convention oven from Home Depot off the net and never check how much it weight. Almost 100 lbs., No way rig wall would ever support it! Ha
They are ordering me RV one now!
Home convection ovens are usually 240 volt. RV combo convection ovens are 120 volt. Weight is not important in a sticks and bricks but is important in moving vehicles (cars, airplanes, buses and RVs).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:55 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
After tightening the screws does the slide operate?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:55 PM   #8

THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Home convection ovens are usually 240 volt. RV combo convection ovens are 120 volt. Weight is not important in a sticks and bricks but is important in moving vehicles (cars, airplanes, buses and RVs).

No, its 120v model number wmh78019hz

"A 120-volt, 60 Hz, AC-only, 15- or 20-amp electrical supply with a fuse
or circuit breaker."

I have install hundreds of standard microwaves over the last 20 years doing property management in our realestate office. I rent to ton of homes/townhome to young marines and sailors that like to take out frustration on the microwaves! HA

I just didn't look to see it weight 77lbs!

I was all excited to hook it up to my winegard!

Boss lady already over one off Recpro