Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Slides, Awnings, Overhead Bunk all stopped working

First off apologies for being gone for so long. We've been on a 3 month cross country road trip. Our Challenger has performed GREAT.

Now for the problem we bumped into on our way back from the west coast. We'd spent 3 great days in Lewisville, Tx at COE at Hickory Lake. While preparing to leave and closing up the coach, DW found no slides worked. Also, overhead bunk and all awnings were not working. It sounds bad but all of them not working helped to narrow the problem down to a single point.

Called Thor's 24 Hour line and got some help to troubleshoot the issue. Still a no go but we did narrow the issue down to the Rapid Camp multi-function board. Finding the multi-function board was THE toughest part. It was under the master bed BUT inside a small finished space by the fuse boxes. I then checked the power to the Rapid Camp Relay and the fuse box. Relay had no power and fuse was working.

To make sure we could at least retract the slides and move, I made a jumper cable from the battery directly to the battery power terminal on the Rapid Camp board. Slide worked!! Removed the jumper wire - slides didn't work. So at least we could continue on towards home.

I have a real aversion to letting someone I don't know charge me $100/hour to maybe fix a problem.

So I contacted Thor again on Monday and got the schematic for the Rapid Camp system. After a series of test to narrow the problem down, I found no power to the relay. UUGGHH. I was then able to trace the wiring back to the fuse panel - THE FUSE PANEL WAS MIS-LABLED!!!! Tested each fuse then for continuity and found the blown fuse. Replaced and immediately fixed the problem.

Here is the text from my follow up with Thor:

"First off thank you and Bill for your support and assistance.

Next, after studying the supplied documents - I was able to test the relay for proper operation. What I found was there no power to the relay. Using the schematic, I traced the wiring back to the fuse panel. What I found was the fuse cover indicating the use of each fuse was mislabeled. I found the correct fuse and tested for continuity. The fuse was open/blown. I simply replaced the fuse and the problem is corrected.

A couple of take aways for future assistance:

1. First thing to check is ALL fuses to ensure proper function (closed circuit).

2. The Rapid Camp system is under the bed in the master bedroom but INSIDE a finished panel next to fuse boxes - both 12v and 110v. You MUST remove the panel to reveal it.

Again, many thanks for your time and assistance. Hopefully this will help future problem solvers."

I've attached the wiring schematics also.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thor wiring diagram.pdf (108.0 KB, 473 views)

Old 10-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
BigBen,

That was a very polite way to point out their error, to aid in correction for other readers of this Forum AND to recommend improvement on QC out the door at the plant (to at least label the panels correctly).

Nicely done.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:44 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
First off apologies for being gone for so long. We've been on a 3 month cross country road trip. Our Challenger has performed GREAT.

Now for the problem we bumped into on our way back from the west coast. We'd spent 3 great days in Lewisville, Tx at COE at Hickory Lake. While preparing to leave and closing up the coach, DW found no slides worked. Also, overhead bunk and all awnings were not working. It sounds bad but all of them not working helped to narrow the problem down to a single point.

Called Thor's 24 Hour line and got some help to troubleshoot the issue. Still a no go but we did narrow the issue down to the Rapid Camp multi-function board. Finding the multi-function board was THE toughest part. It was under the master bed BUT inside a small finished space by the fuse boxes. I then checked the power to the Rapid Camp Relay and the fuse box. Relay had no power and fuse was working.

To make sure we could at least retract the slides and move, I made a jumper cable from the battery directly to the battery power terminal on the Rapid Camp board. Slide worked!! Removed the jumper wire - slides didn't work. So at least we could continue on towards home.

I have a real aversion to letting someone I don't know charge me $100/hour to maybe fix a problem.

So I contacted Thor again on Monday and got the schematic for the Rapid Camp system. After a series of test to narrow the problem down, I found no power to the relay. UUGGHH. I was then able to trace the wiring back to the fuse panel - THE FUSE PANEL WAS MIS-LABLED!!!! Tested each fuse then for continuity and found the blown fuse. Replaced and immediately fixed the problem.

Here is the text from my follow up with Thor:

"First off thank you and Bill for your support and assistance.

Next, after studying the supplied documents - I was able to test the relay for proper operation. What I found was there no power to the relay. Using the schematic, I traced the wiring back to the fuse panel. What I found was the fuse cover indicating the use of each fuse was mislabeled. I found the correct fuse and tested for continuity. The fuse was open/blown. I simply replaced the fuse and the problem is corrected.

A couple of take aways for future assistance:

1. First thing to check is ALL fuses to ensure proper function (closed circuit).

2. The Rapid Camp system is under the bed in the master bedroom but INSIDE a finished panel next to fuse boxes - both 12v and 110v. You MUST remove the panel to reveal it.

Again, many thanks for your time and assistance. Hopefully this will help future problem solvers."

I've attached the wiring schematics also.

Very good information. Sorry to hear about the issues. I was actually going to get around to taking pictures of all the locations of the modules, controllers, and fuse boxes. So far, knock on wood, I have only had one small issue with rapid camp and that was my levelers were not listed as an option. I contacted Thor and they sent me instructions on re-programming the rapid camp to include those. So far, I think I have found every module in case something happens but the biggest part is tracing it all out.

Great writeup.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:57 AM   #4

State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Great info as usual. I have already found that my wiring is incorrectly labeled and in some cases wired to the incorrect amperage. Listing everything for a week long visit in March of next year at their factory.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #5

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Very good post/information. I am still in the learning curve on my systems and this certainly helped push me along.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #6

THOR #1020
RVCampingNut - your setup sounds very similar to ours. We prefer to operate on preventing problems - thus our TPS and surge protection.

As an aside - I guess the systems need a way to prevent use when the ignition is turned on but darn if the Rapid Camp System is what I use from a design concept to be the likely candidate.

In hindsight I could have saved a lot of time and energy just knowing where everything was BEFORE I needed to trouble shoot.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:27 AM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Update:
I had a mobile RV tech come out to the house late this afternoon.

It appears my problem is either a bad controller which is in one of
the left side bays or a broken wire. Probably the controller.
Now I need to get it fixed still.

Note: I have never used the Rapid setup remote in the two years
that I have owned the MH. It is not even programed.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:39 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Phil

See if the model numbers are the same for you slide controller and the overhead bunk controller. If they are the same swap them out to verify the problem is the controller and not the wiring.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #9

THOR #1020
Phil - while you haven't used the remote, you are constantly using the Rapid Camp Controller module. It is the electronic controller for locking out the slides with the ignition switch on and a few other things. Programming or use of the remote doesn't mean the controller cannot be whacked.

First thing - do your awnings and bunk operate? I believe both of these also run through the Rapid Controller module. If these work, then it more than likely is NOT the Rapid Camp Controller.

Next, before I did anything else - I'd get a multimeter and check all of the fuses for continuity (closed or open circuit). Don't believe the labels. If the fuses check out, I'd go next to the Rapid Camp Controller and make sure it has power in and power out. If it doesn't, I'd run a jumper wire (12 volts) to the controller side and then attempt to operate the slides. If the still don't work, it is the controller. Don't confuse the motor controller with the Rapid Camp Controller - 2 different electronic purposes.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:06 AM   #10

State: Alabama
THOR #7114
Your posting is very useful.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:12 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Phil - while you haven't used the remote, you are constantly using the Rapid Camp Controller module. It is the electronic controller for locking out the slides with the ignition switch on and a few other things. Programming or use of the remote doesn't mean the controller cannot be whacked.

First thing - do your awnings and bunk operate? I believe both of these also run through the Rapid Controller module. If these work, then it more than likely is NOT the Rapid Camp Controller.

Next, before I did anything else - I'd get a multimeter and check all of the fuses for continuity (closed or open circuit). Don't believe the labels. If the fuses check out, I'd go next to the Rapid Camp Controller and make sure it has power in and power out. If it doesn't, I'd run a jumper wire (12 volts) to the controller side and then attempt to operate the slides. If the still don't work, it is the controller. Don't confuse the motor controller with the Rapid Camp Controller - 2 different electronic purposes.
I subscribed to this thread in order to refer back if I encounter a problem. I have the full wall slide, makes me a little nervous. Anyway, the rapid camp work for all except the levelers. Any idea how why the remote won't operate the leveling system?
Old 06-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Arizona
THOR #5028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
I subscribed to this thread in order to refer back if I encounter a problem. I have the full wall slide, makes me a little nervous. Anyway, the rapid camp work for all except the levelers. Any idea how why the remote won't operate the leveling system?
For my Chateau the jacks must be in manual mode to be operated by the rapid camp. Works great then!
Old 06-04-2017, 12:43 AM   #13

THOR #1020
Since I posted this, I've referred several fellow RVers. When it first happens, most are like we were - concerned!
Old 06-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #14

THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluff View Post
For my Chateau the jacks must be in manual mode to be operated by the rapid camp. Works great then!
That did the trick, thanks! I did not get a manual for the levelers, the slide out, the jacks, the awning, the drop-down bed... none of the systems. I have to figure out how to get manuals
Old 06-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #15

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
For manuals contact the manufacture of the systems. More than
likely it is Lippert.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #6782
Slide & Bed will not extend or raise

Well my knowledgeable Thor peeps, we've been out a half dozen times with no problems with our slide but our luck just ran out. When packing up and getting ready to return the slide would not retract.
1) No error codes on the controller
2) Manual override did not work although the controller LEDs flashed as indicated.
3) Both over head bed and slide do not work.
4) 30 amp fuse in the converter fuse panel labeled Slide Power checks good as does the bed fuse. however a red LED indicator comes on when I removed the 30 amp fuse and went back out when I re-installed the fuse. No red LED when I removed the 15 amp fuse labeled Bed. Hummmm

Suggestions? I'm at a loss but do have an emergency appointment at the dealer next week as we're supposed to hit the dusty trail again for the 4th of July. I do so like to be savvy on all systems in the RV but this has me stumped.
fknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #17

THOR #7673
Do you have rapid camp? Since you lost function of both the slide and bunk, it could be the rapid camp multi-function board. Check to see if you have power to the rapid camp relay. If no power, check all your 12V fuses as sometimes they are mislabeled. Do you have power to your awning?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:15 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #6782
I don't believe the Vegas 24.1 has a Rapid Camp.
fknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroop View Post
LCI had trouble integrating the Rapid Camp module with the LCI leveling system. There are many post as to the problem and solutions. As of October 2015, no Rapid Camp modules having LCI leveling systems were installed in plant 750 coaches. This was the tale told by engineer giving the plant 750 tour in July 2016. I could can not comment on coaches built at plants 650 and 850.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:31 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
fknapp: is/was the engine running?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote