Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #2871
DVD Audio Trouble

I have a 2016 Challenger. There is a DVD player and an HDMI splitter in a cabinet below the front TV. The TV sound comes through a sound bar. When I play a DVD, I get no sound. I have tried every button, every menu (TV, DVD player, and splitter) item, even looked in the manual (if you can call it that). TV sound is fine. Any ideas?

2015 Ford Focus
rbmartiniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Robert,

Are you getting a picture from the DVD with no sound or are you getting nothing at all?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:44 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartiniv View Post
I have a 2016 Challenger. There is a DVD player and an HDMI splitter in a cabinet below the front TV. The TV sound comes through a sound bar. When I play a DVD, I get no sound. I have tried every button, every menu (TV, DVD player, and splitter) item, even looked in the manual (if you can call it that). TV sound is fine. Any ideas?
Well I think we should have just about the same set up. I have a DVD playing right now in the front main tv. Looking at this picture you see the bottom switch box is set is set to input 1 and you do that by pushing the switch button right next to the power switch, and the tv it self is set on HDMI2. All TV's are set up the same and even use the same remote. Hope this helps....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1937  
Old 05-04-2016, 12:43 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
On a side note, have you Challenger folks thought about adding a HDMI True Matrix switch so folks can watch different stuff at the same time.

When I installed the Sharp in the coach over the weekend and was connecting in my iPad I realized that if I wanted to watch something different than the other half it would have to be cable or nothing.

Not sure where this will land on the list of priorities but this is what I am considering as a replacement for the current HDMI switch. This is also a 4 by 4 switch rather than a 2 by 4 so you can connect in 4 inputs rather than just 2.

4X4 True Matrix HDMI® Powered Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0) - Monoprice.com

I guess I got spoiled with the Magnadyne AV switch that was in my prior coach.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-04-2016, 02:40 AM   #5

THOR #3789
So Dave... Let me get this right because I am not very smart when it come to TV's and electronics. I can replace this box with the switch box I have now, then on any of the 3 TV's I have I can watch satellite on one, DVD on another and lets say maybe park cable on another? And all with no other cables than the HDMI that we all ready have? Please talk to me like a 5 year old on this one.... LOL...
Old 05-04-2016, 02:43 AM   #6

THOR #3789
sorry but that video was 5 year old technology, things have to be much better than that if you know where to get it and what to ask for... Hhhmmm...
Old 05-04-2016, 03:27 AM   #7

THOR #2871
Picture with no sound.
2015 Ford Focus
Old 05-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Quote:
Same problem developed on mine, now being replaced on Warranty. Waiting for new TV, can't wait to see what I get
Old 05-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94@hot.rr.com View Post
So Dave... Let me get this right because I am not very smart when it come to TV's and electronics. I can replace this box with the switch box I have now, then on any of the 3 TV's I have I can watch satellite on one, DVD on another and lets say maybe park cable on another? And all with no other cables than the HDMI that we all ready have? Please talk to me like a 5 year old on this one.... LOL...
You are kind of correct. Cable is a coax connection and comes into a separate splitter and then out to the TVs. When viewing cable one sets the TV source as cable or antenna to view and then selects the channel.

The HDMI switch I referenced would allow you to have multiple HDMI inputs such as DVD, iPad, Xbox and play any of these on any TV at the same time. For example someone could be watching a DVD on the bedroom TV while another person switches over to the iPad streaming video for the outdoor TV. If the satellite control box connects through HDMI the same applies. Someone could watch a DVD while another person watches satellite on another television.

My prior coach had an AV switch that allowed this type of viewing but it was based on coax and RCA AV cables rather than HDMI. The box in my prior link is the first HDMI version I found for under 500.00.

Hopefully this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #10

THOR #2871
The way I understand it, their are HDMI Splitters and Switches. I, and most Thors I presume, have a splitter. Their are two inputs, only one of mine is used, for the DVD player. There are four outputs, one for each TV in the coach. I can send either one of the inputs to all four TVs by pushing a button to make my selection but I can't send one input to some of the four TVs and a second input to the other TVs. It's all or none. A Switch is more or less automatic, allowing me to watch different inputs on different TVs without having to push buttons. It's smart because most of us are not!! At least not smart enough. I'm looking at switches but have no idea which one to get there are so many. Just remember when buying a device to know if it is a switch or a splitter. Many people use the terms interchangeably so you would need to look on the box or printed literature.
2015 Ford Focus
Old 05-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Here is the link to a good explanation on the differences between splitters, switches and HDMI matrix. They explain it far better than I can.

https://sewelldirect.com/learning-ce...tches-matrixes

The link I provided above falls into the matrix category.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Robert,

Have you tried connecting something like an iPad or another DVD player into the splitter and seeing if you get sound and eliminate the DVD player from the equation.

After our second trip out I replaced the cheap RCA DVD player with a Sony Blu Ray because the RCA couldn't handle an HD DVD we wanted to watch one night.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #13

THOR #2871
I'll give that a try. I am planning on replacing the DVD player and the splitter (for a switch). I figure Thor put no more that $50 into that combination.
2015 Ford Focus
Old 05-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Not sure how your television is mounted but on my Seiki the tv was connected to the sound bar through the television's headphone jack which is on the side of the television. They use a cable that is a 3.5 mm jack on the TV split into two RCA connectors at the sound bar. The headphone jack is located on the left side of the 40 inch Seiki. If you can access that cable you might try disconnecting it and see if the DVD get sounds through the televisions built in speaker which will eliminate the headphone jack and sound cable from the equation as well.

The cable on my house bedroom tv (32 inch Samsung) went out the other night and it turned out to be the TV's HDMI ports are shot. Connected up to the digital cable in port using coax and everything works fine. I was going to take the Seiki to Goodwill but instead I ordered a table top stand which should be here today and the 40 inch Seiki from the RV will replace the Samsung in the house bedroom.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #15

THOR #2871
Hadn't thought about headphone jacks. I'll look and see. They make it so difficult to see behind the TV and the sound bar. Thanks.
2015 Ford Focus
Old 05-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Thor must have done away with that unit in mine, as every TV has it's own DVD player and plug in for that other stuff (we don't use anyway). So anyone can watch what they want.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Hadn't thought about headphone jacks. I'll look and see. They make it so difficult to see behind the TV and the sound bar. Thanks.
The headphone jack on the TV is on the left side when looking at the screen. I found that an inspection mirror and 90 degree bent nose pliers work well in situations like this. I have a pair of pliers like these that have handled quite a few jobs of this nature.

TEKTON 10 in. 90° Reach Bent Long Nose Pliers-34406 - The Home Depot

Also, my sound bar was easy to remove to look behind. The mounts are slotted and pulling the bar forward about 1/4 inch will allow the mounts to come loose from the screws so it can be lifted out of place. The TV was held in by 4 screws which could be removed with a long driver bit just above and under the TV. This allowed removing the TV and mount and allowed access to the cables.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-05-2016, 02:41 AM   #18

THOR #2871
Found the Problem

I managed to remove the TV and bracket from the wall. Had to first remove the bottom to the cabinet above the TV and take the fireplace out from under the TV, then I could remove the soundbar. The headphone jack wasn't pushed in all the way on the TV. There was also some suspicious electrical tape around the RCA plug on the soundbar end. I unwrapped it and found they had taped on "elbow" connector (not even needed) and it wasn't a good connection. I've got an adjustable wall bracket, DVD player, and HDMI Matrix switch ordered. I'll put it all back together next week. Here's what it looks like now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-04 15.48.57 copy.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1952  
2015 Ford Focus
Old 05-05-2016, 03:03 AM   #19

THOR #3789
WOW.... what a mess....
Take your time and it will all come together...
Old 05-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I managed to remove the TV and bracket from the wall. Had to first remove the bottom to the cabinet above the TV and take the fireplace out from under the TV, then I could remove the soundbar. The headphone jack wasn't pushed in all the way on the TV. There was also some suspicious electrical tape around the RCA plug on the soundbar end. I unwrapped it and found they had taped on "elbow" connector (not even needed) and it wasn't a good connection. I've got an adjustable wall bracket, DVD player, and HDMI Matrix switch ordered. I'll put it all back together next week. Here's what it looks like now.
Robert,

Is that the sub woofer for the sound bar sitting behind where the fireplace would be? If so, is it connected to the sound bar?
FMCA - F432054