Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2022, 04:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #20539
Sold it!

Well, we did it...we faced reality and sold our 2018 Citation 24SJ...yep, I took the forums advice...we enjoyed the 16 month experience...it got us thru the really ugly piece of Covid during retirement...we covered 13000+ miles in the Western States during our isolation...

...but the DW and I were not impressed with the quality issues, the poor repair network, parts procurement issues and the house noise on crappy roads...she would not have dealt well if we ever gotten a flat tire!...(we had 10 on the road at any one time)...the issue of the fridge turning off while parked on a 4' slope for 2 days was a significant straw that helped break the camel's back...we lost all frozen food/meals...

...what we did enjoy was the new memory foam mattress we bought and the great sleep due to the fresh air, the tankless water heated showers, the HVAC system, the induction cooktop too...we put in a ROKU and added 40Gigs of 4G to our T-Mobile hotspot's for $15/month each...gave us 50+ hours of streaming per phone...brilliant!..the Winegard 2T was worthless!

Now the loan is paid off, we do have residue to deal with: a 12 month old RoadMaster $2000 tow dolly: a new $350 EMS: a life time $3000 membership to an RV park on the upper Oregon Coast...send me a PM if you need any of those items...

The learnings were vast and the issues that the forum helped me handle were resolved wonderfully well...the forum experience and knowledge is fantastic...forums are great institutions...thanks to the numerous respondents, Bob, Paul, Duck, Jamie, Scuba, EA37, 16ACE, Lt K, Chat Nomad, Chunker, DKoldman, Judge, Jimbo, LWMcguire and many others that I should have mentioned here...some of the senior members and site overseers are a little too grumpy for my liking but if you can get thru their crap, their advice is priceless...

The RV parks are mostly of tremendous value but too many are now housing permanently parked RV's and trailers, therefore not recreational and they've disappointingly let a few standards slip allowing crap to be stored or leant against a parked trailer or RV...we will miss Harvest Hosts!...brilliant set up.

Again, much love and thanks to all!...Ian (Harmsy)

Old 01-22-2022, 10:26 AM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Good luck going forward on your new direction!
Old 01-22-2022, 11:14 AM   #3

Model: WindSport 36Z
State: Kentucky
THOR #25506
We are in the process of getting ours sold. Our dream was rapidly becoming a nightmare and we decided to cut our losses and get out from under. After MONTHS of research and questions, it STILL wasn't enough to prepare us for the constant little (some BIG) repairs, breakers tripping, things that work one minute and, for no apparent reason, stop the next. We're done before we even leave the starting blocks. I wish you all the very best in your RV endeavors. This is not my idea of fun.
Underway. Shift colors!
Fweezal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:08 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Selling as a way to buy some happy
AND
admitting you liked the tankless water heater?
Wow.

I'm truly sorry it didnt work out
But
What a guy's guy to know to cut the loss.

Whatever is next for you:
I hope that path leads to happy.

ps
I'm sorry I came off as grumpy. When you read The path some folks here are taking there just isn't time to honey/baby/little buddy them.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:19 PM   #5

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweezal View Post
We are in the process of getting ours sold. Our dream was rapidly becoming a nightmare and we decided to cut our losses and get out from under. After MONTHS of research and questions, it STILL wasn't enough to prepare us for the constant little (some BIG) repairs, breakers tripping, things that work one minute and, for no apparent reason, stop the next. We're done before we even leave the starting blocks. I wish you all the very best in your RV endeavors. This is not my idea of fun.
It's a lifestyle.
The only reason I wouldn't have given up at 5,000 miles is (and actually I hate this saying because with 90%of folks it's just horsecrap they say)

We've done so much with so little that we can now do practically anything with nothing.

This is the ONLY reason I can have an RV. Relatively, it can't throw anything at me I haven't had thrown at me in the past(or I can't extrapolate and adapt), I whooped it, moved on.

When I see posts of
'I called Thor to order new wiper blades for my 6yr old RV'
I always wonder how far apart that person and I must live on a life-experience measuring device.

Be happy first.
A slight list of things I've sold when happy wasn't happening:

1. every Damn thing that vexed me.
2. See 1.

It's good to know you're placing happy first.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:19 PM   #6

Model: Siesta 24SS
State: California
THOR #12698
Good luck in the future. It was an adventure to say the least. You tried it and it didn't work out.

Paul
Old 01-22-2022, 02:32 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Hope your next venture is more to your liking.

Good Luck in your future endeavors!
Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:50 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
I truly believe that there will lot more out there doing the very same!
I believe in the next year or so there will be a glut of used rvs of all shapes & sizes on the market as those trying to escape Covid realize rving isn't for them.
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:17 PM   #9

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I truly believe that there will lot more out there doing the very same!
I believe in the next year or so there will be a glut of used rvs of all shapes & sizes on the market as those trying to escape Covid realize rving isn't for them.
That was just one of the covid myths out there but one we are more likely to discuss without the thread being closed. Myth; Go out and travel in the safety of your "house" with just your family, and stay at the pristine lakeshore with kids running in the meadow. Freedom and fresh air abounds. True if you made your reservations 6 months prior, maybe but yet many bought that myth along with others. Reality sucks sometimes and the awareness that an RV isn't made by Toyota, the RV parks are full, and once you got there you couldn't do anything in some states really put a damper on the RV enthusiasm. Oh that is unless you new RV was sitting at the dealer waiting on the $.50 part.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:44 PM   #10

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
That was just one of the covid myths out there but one we are more likely to discuss without the thread being closed. Myth; Go out and travel in the safety of your "house" with just your family, and stay at the pristine lakeshore with kids running in the meadow. Freedom and fresh air abounds. True if you made your reservations 6 months prior, maybe but yet many bought that myth along with others. Reality sucks sometimes and the awareness that an RV isn't made by Toyota, the RV parks are full, and once you got there you couldn't do anything in some states really put a damper on the RV enthusiasm. Oh that is unless you new RV was sitting at the dealer waiting on the $.50 part.
You might want to read any rv park post by scuba, and any by me.

Unless you just insist on having someones black hose 12 feet from your front door and parking on pavement with a slab to step out on....
Some of us have no idea what a reservation means .

You're spreading a myth many of us have never experienced.
30,000 miles and I've never made a reservation.
I guess I could make it that complicated and some enjoy the complication.

I'm not being mean.
I'm telling you you're moving along a self-decided difficult path some of us didn't choose.
We promote the happy of our no-reservation stays.

The op mentioned harvest hosts.
Look into it and save some grief and have trips at hand no matter the status of some sardine type rv park.

Edit:
One park reservation.
The thor west coast gathering.
No deposit, no credit card on file, no expenditure until we arrived.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:08 PM   #11

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
You might want to read any rv park post by scuba, and any by me.

Unless you just insist on having someones black hose 12 feet from your front door and parking on pavement with a slab to step out on....
Some of us have no idea what a reservation means .

You're spreading a myth many of us have never experienced.
30,000 miles and I've never made a reservation.
I guess I could make it that complicated and some enjoy the complication.

I'm not being mean.
I'm telling you you're moving along a self-decided difficult path some of us didn't choose.
We promote the happy of our no-reservation stays.

The op mentioned harvest hosts.
Look into it and save some grief and have trips at hand no matter the status of some sardine type rv park.

Edit:
One park reservation.
The thor west coast gathering.
No deposit, no credit card on file, no expenditure until we arrived.
No dispute I'm referring to the newly RV buyers and users. They bought into the various dealer and manufacturer advertisements which of course were highly incorrect and inflated. We make some reservations, military bases mainly, wing it some. We also tend to avoid the big NPs and those crowds. When someone gets their first RV from a CW they buy that "phonebook sized" book of RV parks and figure with all these places, no problem. Reality sets in so I'm not perpetuating a myth, that's what the dealers and manufacturers do.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-22-2022, 06:09 PM   #12

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
No dispute I'm referring to the newly RV buyers and users. They bought into the various dealer and manufacturer advertisements which of course were highly incorrect and inflated. We make some reservations, military bases mainly, wing it some. We also tend to avoid the big NPs and those crowds. When someone gets their first RV from a CW they buy that "phonebook sized" book of RV parks and figure with all these places, no problem. Reality sets in so I'm not perpetuating a myth, that's what the dealers and manufacturers do.
Ok, I'll buy that.

I should have used
You all
Instead of
You

You're dead-on correct. Some would never be able to find an alternative on their own.

I wrote that as a counter So the newbs could see both sides.
I'm sure there's a new owner somewhere not going to florida this year Because the first and only place they called said they were full, then said all other parks were full.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:59 PM   #13

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Ok, I'll buy that.

I should have used
You all
Instead of
You

You're dead-on correct. Some would never be able to find an alternative on their own.

I wrote that as a counter So the newbs could see both sides.
I'm sure there's a new owner somewhere not going to florida this year Because the first and only place they called said they were full, then said all other parks were full.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-22-2022, 08:23 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsy View Post
Well, we did it...we faced reality and sold our 2018 Citation 24SJ...yep, I took the forums advice...we enjoyed the 16 month experience...it got us thru the really ugly piece of Covid during retirement...we covered 13000+ miles in the Western States during our isolation...

...but the DW and I were not impressed with the quality issues, the poor repair network, parts procurement issues and the house noise on crappy roads...she would not have dealt well if we ever gotten a flat tire!...(we had 10 on the road at any one time)...the issue of the fridge turning off while parked on a 4' slope for 2 days was a significant straw that helped break the camel's back...we lost all frozen food/meals...

...what we did enjoy was the new memory foam mattress we bought and the great sleep due to the fresh air, the tankless water heated showers, the HVAC system, the induction cooktop too...we put in a ROKU and added 40Gigs of 4G to our T-Mobile hotspot's for $15/month each...gave us 50+ hours of streaming per phone...brilliant!..the Winegard 2T was worthless!

Now the loan is paid off, we do have residue to deal with: a 12 month old RoadMaster $2000 tow dolly: a new $350 EMS: a life time $3000 membership to an RV park on the upper Oregon Coast...send me a PM if you need any of those items...

The learnings were vast and the issues that the forum helped me handle were resolved wonderfully well...the forum experience and knowledge is fantastic...forums are great institutions...thanks to the numerous respondents, Bob, Paul, Duck, Jamie, Scuba, EA37, 16ACE, Lt K, Chat Nomad, Chunker, DKoldman, Judge, Jimbo, LWMcguire and many others that I should have mentioned here...some of the senior members and site overseers are a little too grumpy for my liking but if you can get thru their crap, their advice is priceless...

The RV parks are mostly of tremendous value but too many are now housing permanently parked RV's and trailers, therefore not recreational and they've disappointingly let a few standards slip allowing crap to be stored or leant against a parked trailer or RV...we will miss Harvest Hosts!...brilliant set up.

Again, much love and thanks to all!...Ian (Harmsy)
Well said, I pulled into a park earlier this week, I had never seen before. Found it due to that RV Travel wizard, it had really great reviews. But when I got their half the site was permanent parked RVs exactly as you described. It may be alright for overnight, but then again any rest stop is alright for overnight and with a bill that is NOT $40/night nor the hassle to register etc.

I wish you well and you sound like a man with a plan. Who knows over time you may miss that lifestyle and buy something else (I did). Who knows...you may make a good SOB one day

Good luck and happy trails
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet WiFi6 w/Nighthawk Extender; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:46 AM   #15

Model: 2016 Hurricane 27K
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Wish you well on whatever path you choose. A friend had a similar experience and since he sold his rig he has rented a RV for shorter outings and been happier. That plan might work for you, too.
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:10 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #2121
I agree renting is a great way to discover if RVing is for you. Its a lot like riding a tandem bicycle with your spouse; it wont take long to know if you are going to love it or hate it. There seems to be little middle ground.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:59 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
After 7 years and 54,000 miles I just sold mine. My ownership cost was $16,000 a year for a $75,000 brand new motorhome. I sold it for $45,000, the rest was cost to keep to on the road and travels expenses. Not including another 30k tied up in a Jeep. I got to see and do things I would never have the chance. I am now looking for something that is more livable for shorter travels but staying longer. I made many reservations way ahead, and am glad I did. I also did a few trips winging it.. And many were boondocking with friends.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:12 PM   #18

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
After 7 years and 54,000 miles I just sold mine. My ownership cost was $16,000 a year for a $75,000 brand new motorhome. I sold it for $45,000, the rest was cost to keep to on the road and travels expenses. Not including another 30k tied up in a Jeep. I got to see and do things I would never have the chance. I am now looking for something that is more livable for shorter travels but staying longer. I made many reservations way ahead, and am glad I did. I also did a few trips winging it.. And many were boondocking with friends.
Perfect.
Congratulations on knowing what you want and need and being willing to do what it takes to get it.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:04 PM   #19

Model: East to West Alta 2600KRB
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
There will be many more RV owners like the OP. Bought an RV because of Covid without doing a lot of research or soul searching just to find out that it's not for them. Most of them will probably lose a good chunk of money when they sell....oh well, an expensive lesson.

I venture to say that used RV prices will starting to plummet once Covid goes away. On the plus side, campgrounds will be less crowded eventually.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:17 PM   #20

Model: Chateau
State: California
THOR #10653
Oh my gosh We Sold Our RV Today!!! Same reasons as you with some boring variations. We’ve had our Chateau 22E for 4 years almost to the day. We went on many trips including two 2-month trips around the country and eastern Canada. Redwoods, oceans, Southwest. Definitely used it. Coming home from our last trip we both agreed we were done. That was I think in Iowa. Waited a couple months and didn’t get RV wanderlust at all. So another chapter… We bought new 2018 for $59K and sold it back this AM to same dealership for $55K. Couldn’t believe it.