Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Dave, thanks for the reference. I missed the info in post 3 the first time.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Nice work Dave.

Did you test engine at 1750 under load (while driving) or stationary while parked? I assume the latter. Under load the engine should be louder so improvement may be even more (on absolute basis, not sure as percent).

Have you driven the motorhome since upgrade? I'm curious how much of the reduction remains with wind and road noise in background.
Chance,

Thanks. The sound level was tested while stationary and then again driving while coming back from 4 Paws last month. The sound levels driving at 2150 RPM were the same as stationary at 1750 RPM. Overall the sound levels are such that my wife and I can be travelling and hold a normal conversation and still here the radio at about 1/4 volume.

If you read the original post (number 1) I noted a couple of interesting items related to road noise and being parked 350 feet from the source of the noise. During nice days this winter I want to tackle a couple of areas on the floor pan under the driver's feet and possibly under the dash. That all depends, however, on the head travel bosses schedule. We are planning Charleston, SC the beginning of December and today she mentioned Fort Wilderness again in January.

The again, who knows, maybe I'll say the heck with it install a set of headers and a magna flow system and road noise be d***ed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:22 PM   #23

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
Dave, great post. You inspired me to do the same. Keep us informed when the pans are completed. Now I guess it's time to get off the butt and order some dynamat.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #24

Model: Outlaw 38 RE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3657
Sound deadening

Did u do the floor pans?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #25
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normfitz View Post
Did u do the floor pans?
Not yet. The floor pans are going to be a project for when I have a few days to actually remove the drives seat so the mounting bolts are not in the way. The passenger's side is pretty well insulated but I will check it again.

Right now we are planning a weekend trip just to get the coach out and exercise systems in a week or two and we have another trip planned for May. Right now nothing is scheduled for June so that may be floor pan time.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #26

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Dave, getting ready to do the sound deadening on my new coach but have a couple of questions. Did you remove the original insulation from the doghouse, doesn't look like you did, if not why? When you installed the Dynamat why use the 3/4" and the sound deadening mat, I would think the 3/4" would kill the sound. Any tips?

Your doghouse looks great, you did a really nice clean job! Looking forward to doing this, Thank You in advance for your advice!
Old 10-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #27
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Dave, getting ready to do the sound deadening on my new coach but have a couple of questions. Did you remove the original insulation from the doghouse, doesn't look like you did, if not why? When you installed the Dynamat why use the 3/4" and the sound deadening mat, I would think the 3/4" would kill the sound. Any tips?

Your doghouse looks great, you did a really nice clean job! Looking forward to doing this, Thank You in advance for your advice!
The original stuff on my doghouse appeared to be super glued in place so I kept it on that on than fight with trying to remove the old adhesive and get a clean mounting surface.

I used both because the DynaMat provides more sound deadening and vibration control and less insulation than the 3/4 inch hood liner. To me, using both provides the best of both worlds.

During nice days this winter I hope to remove my seat pedestals and use DynaMat on the floor pans. I want to remove the seats so I can use a single sheet of DynaMat rather than have to cut around bolts and piece things together. The problem with this so far has been whenever I would get ready to tackle this task Kathy would say "Let's go ..." and down the road we went. Happened again this morning with let's go to ... for Veteran's Day and then go to ... for Thanksgiving. As always, when she speaks I
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #28

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Thanks Dave!!! Makes sense to me. Guess I need to order and get busy! I do appreciate the advice, hope you have a Great Day!
Old 10-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #29

State: Oklahoma
THOR #4330
Dave,

I am impressed with your sound proofing project. With your approval I shall copy your plans to the letter with my 2016 Hurricane 34F.
One short question please. I thought about having the outside of my doghouse carpeted to also help in sound proofing. Any ideas on this? Might it help or is this just for not?

Thanks again for your great work and explanation.
Allan
Old 10-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #30
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by allantodd1 View Post
Dave,

I am impressed with your sound proofing project. With your approval I shall copy your plans to the letter with my 2016 Hurricane 34F.
One short question please. I thought about having the outside of my doghouse carpeted to also help in sound proofing. Any ideas on this? Might it help or is this just for not?

Thanks again for your great work and explanation.
Allan
Allan,

I personally believe, that after the Dynamat and Hoodliner, carpet on the doghouse would provide minimal benefit in sound proofing and insulation. The benefit provided by carpet would depend on the backing of the carpet. If it is a woven back with the large holes the benefit, IMO, would be little to none. A rubber backed carpet, similar to a bath mat, might provide some additional benefit.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #31

State: Oklahoma
THOR #4330
I agree. And thank you.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:49 AM   #32

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
Have they changed the engine cover since 2015? I don't have mine handy to check, but it appeared the top of mine might be different. Just wondered if anyone had looked. Definitely want to do the Dynamat update to make it quieter.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #33

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6099
Yes, great pics and explanations. I am considering doing this to mine as well. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:53 PM   #34

THOR #6162
Ordered my supplies today. Some will be here tomorrow, some Wednesday. Any tips on removing the doghouse? I pulled the 4 bolts, but it didn't want to move. Did I miss something or is it just stuck a bit and needs some gentle prying? Thanks for all the great ideas and help.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:30 AM   #35

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash557 View Post
Ordered my supplies today. Some will be here tomorrow, some Wednesday. Any tips on removing the doghouse? I pulled the 4 bolts, but it didn't want to move. Did I miss something or is it just stuck a bit and needs some gentle prying? Thanks for all the great ideas and help.
Although we have a Thor 29.3, the dog house looks to be the same. 4 bolts hold it down and yes it takes some careful prying to get it up.
On another note, I added some more sound proofing too. Mainly because I installed a cold air intake. It raised the interior noise by about 5 to 10 db. So I was turning up the radio so loud for anyone to be able to talk to one and another.
This is what I used, mainly because I had read some other how-to's and the cost involved. It works pretty good. But I also bought some 3/4 inch insolation from Amazon. It's a bit of a hassle because the sticky part will stick to anything it touches. That also could be a good thing but just makes for harder installation. I wrapped the intake tube also. This could also help with keeping the air intake a bit cooler if you live in areas of high heat. Sealing all gaps with insolation tape. Good luck with your install!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66aa9cd9-2bfd-4d71-9cfe-19c1ce0e5e75_1000.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	4103  
Old 02-28-2017, 12:34 AM   #36

THOR #6162
Thanks Thor29.3. That's kinda what I thought. Will see how this does and proceed as I find the noise..
Old 07-11-2017, 04:54 AM   #37

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Looks like i will be doing this mod soon. Thanks everyone for the tips

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:37 PM   #38

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
THOR #7993
There is a 29" x 5" rectangular tunnel connecting the left and right outside storage compartments in my 2017 Vegas. It is directly under the floor where the captain's chairs are mounted (you can see the plates that the seats are bolted to in the center of the tunnel. I went to Lowe's and bought some of this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Roxul-R-0-5...saAp-_EALw_wcB

And stuffed the tunnel full of it. It's water and fire proof. Made quite a difference in noise level.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #39

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
THOR #7993
Here's a pic:

Old 10-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #40

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
Here's a pic:

Thanks jb1911, the photo helps. That whole under-space is like a drum, with the tubs being like trash cans. I have some adhesive dampening mat leftover from another project and will put some squares one the sides of the front tubs.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote