Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Class C (Outlaw 29H) Passenger Rear Shock

Anyone with a longer Class C ever replace their shocks themselves?

I am considering upgrading the shocks on my Outlaw 29H to the Bilstein Shocks. I know the driver side front on the E-450 can be a challenge but I believe their is an access hole on the firewall under the floor mat to access the top nut on the shaft.

I figured the rears would be easy until I crawled under and took a look. The driver side is fairly easy but the passenger side is not.

Apparently Thor welded a thin metal plate on this side of the coach to protect the floor from exhaust heat. In doing so they have covered up access to the top of the shock to remove the nut, etc. from the top of the shock.

There is a very small opening near the top of the shock as you can see from this picture where they made the muffler hanger bracket. Might be able to get an open end wrench in there to hold the nut.... that may be a trick in itself..... but going to be tough to loosen it, remove it and install a new shock. I can barely get one or two fingers in there.

Access to the top of the other side of the shock is completely blocked off by the metal plate.

I am thinking I would have to try and cut a hole in the metal they installed but that won't be easy either given the floor is above it.

Anyone have a similar setup and replaced the shocks and know of any tricks I might be missing?

Thor sure doesn't make it easy sometimes.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Passenger Shock.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	19183

Old 07-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I been thinking of installing Bilsteins on my Axis as well (E450 chassis). I know the front looks like it has plenty of room (Axis body alows more room compared to C class). But I have not looked at the back yet. I bet it looks like yours.

Surley Thor figured sooner or later someone might have to replace a shock on these RV's.

Or are the disposable?

I haven't seen any expiration dates on mine.... Yet. LOL.

Oh here it it.... expires one year after purchase.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:42 AM   #3

THOR #12751
Yep..... pretty obvious they never thought someone might need to replace the shock.

I can see it now.... if the shock starts leaking under warranty, Thor tells me to take it to Ford. I take it to Ford and they see the RV manufacturer covered up the top of the shock. Then Ford tells me to take it to Thor.

Guess I'm going to try to figure out how I can cut some of that metal heat shield to gain access to the top of the shock.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:57 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Can you bend it to gain clearance? Then bend it back when done?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #5

THOR #12751
Unfortunately it is a solid piece of metal.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The question might have to be: "How much are you willing to pay; to let somebody else bust their knuckles on this situation?"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #7

THOR #12751
Class C (Outlaw 29H) Passenger Rear Shock

You may be right Bob....

I have done all of the mods on my rig..... both sway bars, sumos, steering stabilizer, upgraded Inverter and rewriting, solar.....

I feel like I should be able to do the shocks and the driver slider front should be the hard one.

You would just think someone at Thor would think about access when they are adding stuff like this..... but clearly it’s not in the thought process at all.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thor's assembly folks only have eyes for completing the build as quickly as possible.

Servicing the RV clearly isn't on their radar...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote