Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2020, 11:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor ACE 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #9280
ACE 30.2 engine will not start

Tried to start engine after radio would not come on - nothing - emergency start did not work - last time I started engine it was all good - noticed jacks have been making popping noise and other posts have implied this relates to battery power - any suggestions how best to proceed?

Just an FYI we are two months into a four month stay at a campground so limited need for engine - but it has been started at least 3 times while here - no problems until today

Old 03-08-2020, 12:00 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
'will not start'
Isn't good enough.
Tell us what sounds it makes, what sounds it doesn't make, what you've tried, if it's in park or neutral, why you didn't start it often, if you've tried a jumper, if you have aaa or other service, what the people parked near you have said to try.

Help us help you.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:37 AM   #3

THOR #9280
It makes no sound - no lights on the panel - can't shift gears - totally unresponsive - shore power is working fine so was unaware of issue until I decided to start the engine since it had been about 1 month since last start - battery indicator showing full power - looking for educated/experienced suggestions on how to attack this - thanks Chuck
Old 03-08-2020, 01:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Have you tried jump starting?
Old 03-08-2020, 01:12 AM   #5

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Try charging the chassis battery.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:12 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Radio works off house battery’s, is the use store switch off?
Which battery indicator reading full charge? The panel on the wall of coach?
When the ignition key is turned on do you get any response from gauges or indicator lights on dash?
Do you have a multimeter and if so have you checked voltage across chassis battery?
How old is the coach battery? There is always some parasitic draw on the chassis an older end of life battery will not stand up to the drawdown but for a cpl weeks without being charged.

If that chassis battery is totally dead to start the engine from emergency start switch will take a fair amount of time holding the switch down to get enough voltage into the dead chassis battery to turn the over.
Just throwing out things to check.
If that use store switch is off radio won’t work and I don’t think you are charging house or coach batteries. If you are plugged in you are running coach off the convereter.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #7

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Have you found the problem yet?

If you don’t have a volt meter, try this.
Throw the breaker off at the pedestal,
See if you have 12 volt power in the coach.

If you don’t then the use,store switch was thrown by mistake and all the batteries drained.

If all batteries are dead you will not be able to put the switch back to use until coach batteries are charged.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:35 PM   #8

THOR #9280
Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions - will try today during daylight to get it started
Old 03-09-2020, 01:04 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If the batteries are good I’d look for a loose connection at the chassis battery or the starter. Another way to see if the house batteries are charged is to try to start the generator. It needs to be exercised about once a month anyway.the fact that your emergency start switch didn’t help leads me to thing it might be something other than the batteries.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #10

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
Any chance rodents have chewed wiring?
Old 03-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #11

THOR #2027
We have a 30.2. We have been in this same position before.
Check to make sure the awning is in. Check to make sure the key is not on (like clicked backwards to run the radio). Check to make sure the key to the loft is in the “off” position.
We have learned a lot by trial and error.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:07 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Not sure of your level of expertise so replies above may be hard to follow. Forgive me if this is too basic. The chassis battery that starts the engine is separate from the house batteries. Also If you are plugged in to shore power the RV house will work even if batteries are dead. Best solution is testing both battery sets with a voltmeter. If not possible I would check to be sure use switch is "on" while plugged into shore power, as suggested above. If voltmeter shows all batteries have 12 or more volts then come back for more suggestions.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:24 PM   #13

THOR #2027
In the house batter compartment, there is a fault switch. Under the hood, there is a similar fault switch. If either has tripped, the yellow or red tab will show. Push the tab back up.
But, the prior response, suggesting to suggest the use /store switch is definitely a good suggestion. I would start with that one.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:10 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #15745
I just purchased a NOCO Boost HD GB150 4000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Portable Lithium Car Battery Jump Starter Pack For Up To 10-Liter Gasoline And Diesel Engines. Works great starts my V10 no problem.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:26 PM   #15

Model: Axis 25.5
State: California
THOR #18046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckCooperDuke View Post
Tried to start engine after radio would not come on - nothing - emergency start did not work - last time I started engine it was all good - noticed jacks have been making popping noise and other posts have implied this relates to battery power - any suggestions how best to proceed?

Just an FYI we are two months into a four month stay at a campground so limited need for engine - but it has been started at least 3 times while here - no problems until today
My 2019 Thor axis 27ft had same problem.Both of my house batteries tested bad. 3 cells in each battery tested bad with hydrometer test.They tested good when AAA came out to jump me with there machine.But test bad on the bench test with hydrometer.2 new batteries and rv started
Old 03-19-2020, 02:41 AM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Awol

Last post 03/08/20 “Thanks for all the suggestions - will try today during daylight to get it started.”

Always surprised that after sending out what seems like an SOS some OPs just vanish without a trace...alien abductions perhaps.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:24 AM   #17

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgtx View Post
Last post 03/08/20 “Thanks for all the suggestions - will try today during daylight to get it started.”

Always surprised that after sending out what seems like an SOS some OPs just vanish without a trace...alien abductions perhaps.
I was thinking maybe a virus...

in his computer.