Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5745
Spare Tire

I am ready to take my first long trip and currently, I do not have a spare tire. From what I read, some people don't have a spare. I am not sure I am comfortable with that option. What are the thoughts on the spare tire issue.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I keep a spare for my Vegas. Is only 16" wheel so changing is no issue. Also carry a big bottle jack, long breaker bar and cheater. I normaly tow a drag car on open trailer so I carry a lot of stuff.

I have 3 separate "Roadside" assistance plans but may not use is schedule is tight.

I also carry a spare water pump and extra stuff for RV.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Search for the thread in this forum on the topic. Lots of previous discussion. I decided early on that I would not be changing a tire on our Axis, short of an extreme situation like an impending tsunami. I did place an unmounted replacement tire (16") behind the gas tank and between the chassis rails just in case I need to have a tow/tire service truck change out a tire. That way I at least won't have to wait days to find a tire.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I use a hitch mounted spare carrier that also lets me carry a pair of bikes. I have no plans to change tires but believe roadside assistance will be easier and faster if I have a good spare with me. Have a good first trip!
Old 07-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 28z
THOR #5745
I did do a search and there is quite a lot of info out there. I will carry a spare. My 28z has a storage area for it. I put new tires on my tow vehicle, jeep wrangler, and the original spare for the jeep is the same size as my coach's Michelins. I just need to find a good price on the wheel.