Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2023, 03:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Arizona
THOR #11568
Inverter issues?

I’m at the Thousand Trails in Cottonwood AZ and temps are in the 90’s and 100’s. I have had two times now where the lights on the microwave have started flickering and the AC’s have shut down. It was later in the evening as things were cooling down. I look at the firefly and it shows no charge and house batteries are below 12 volt. I can turn off the house power switch and leave it off for 30 second. When I turn it back on, everything comes back and voltage is back to normal. The only thing I can think of is the light on the microwave above the stove is on. Has anyone had this issue and have a fix. Thanks

Old 06-23-2023, 07:05 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Have u check to see if any updates for your firefly?

Have had some issues with firefly and AC
lastest update has fixed it so far!
Old 06-23-2023, 09:49 AM   #3

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo53AZ View Post
I’m at the Thousand Trails in Cottonwood AZ and temps are in the 90’s and 100’s. I have had two times now where the lights on the microwave have started flickering and the AC’s have shut down. It was later in the evening as things were cooling down. I look at the firefly and it shows no charge and house batteries are below 12 volt. I can turn off the house power switch and leave it off for 30 second. When I turn it back on, everything comes back and voltage is back to normal. The only thing I can think of is the light on the microwave above the stove is on. Has anyone had this issue and have a fix. Thanks
Sounds like an issue with the shore power. When it is extremely hot, like you are currently experiencing, the voltage can drop very low on the input shore power because of high demand. Most air conditioners will not work below 90 VAC. If you have a power quality monitor it may actually be terminating the connection due to low voltage. That would explain why the air conditioners turn off. Your lights and many things that work on 12 VDC will still work but you will start to draw down your house batteries. That sounds like the case since the battery voltage is below 12 VDC. The inverter will often stop working when the house batteries go below 11 VDC. If you have the ability to charge the house batteries from the engine then I would suggest you start the engine to charge them back up. You should be able to charge them by starting the generator.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 01:58 PM   #4

THOR #11568
Inverter issues?

Thanks for the quick reply. The issue happens late in the evening after the sun goes down. I did have a firefly issue about year 1, but they installed a new one and everything has been fine since. I only look at the screen to check AC and DC power readings. The only things on were tv, microwave light on high setting and front AC. I was at Verde Valley Ranch the 1st time and TT the second time. The microwave light would begin to flicker and then the AC compressor would shut down but the AC fan would continue to run. Checking the readings the AC power was at 120 V + but DC voltage was low and charger showed no charge. As mentioned before, I just shut the house master switch off for 39-60 seconds to reboot. Everything comes back to normal almost immediate. I’m just not sure why the charger is shutting down
Old 06-23-2023, 04:38 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
What year is your rig?

Can update FF 2021's and up yourself via usb port on console.

I had FF turn everying on and everything off. Took a few years for them to figure out issues!
Why I never leave propane on!
I have 2020 1st generation!
Old 06-23-2023, 09:11 PM   #6

THOR #11568
Inverter issue?

I have a 2018 Thor Aria. I don’t think I have a USB port but will check. I may have to contact Firefly to see if they can help troubleshoot. They helped when the unit went bad and slides wouldn’t retract. Will keep you posted. Thanks
Old 06-29-2023, 06:33 PM   #7

State: Idaho
THOR #16876
Check your batteries

I chased my tail on inverter problems that come and go. Many sleepless nights about why stuff happens when you least expect it. Turns out I had lead acid batteries (stock batteries from Thor) that I thought I didn't have to maintain. They were completely dry and bulging (according to my dealer). I replaced them with AGM batteries and all has been very well.

I went through 2 coffee makers, 2 wall outlets in the bathroom, unexplained charge cycles and several whole coach spontaneous power losses even an instrument panel power issue on those old batteries. So, before spending too much time on stuff like this, make sure your coach batteries are well maintained.

The original dealer where I bought my coach told me:"Maintenance Free" lead acid batteries. Fooey baloney!
NG7V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 11:15 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG7V View Post
I chased my tail on inverter problems that come and go. Many sleepless nights about why stuff happens when you least expect it. Turns out I had lead acid batteries (stock batteries from Thor) that I thought I didn't have to maintain. They were completely dry and bulging (according to my dealer). I replaced them with AGM batteries and all has been very well.

I went through 2 coffee makers, 2 wall outlets in the bathroom, unexplained charge cycles and several whole coach spontaneous power losses even an instrument panel power issue on those old batteries. So, before spending too much time on stuff like this, make sure your coach batteries are well maintained.

The original dealer where I bought my coach told me:"Maintenance Free" lead acid batteries. Fooey baloney!
How do you know when a salesman/dealer is lying?....................
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 01:01 AM   #9

State: Idaho
THOR #16876
Duh... When they open their mouths?
NG7V is offline   Reply With Quote