Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
JRA

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Gemini 23TB
State: Georgia
THOR #17642
Spare Tire/Jack Not Included I New RVs?

OK, I'm a brand new, first time purchaser of an R . 2019 THOR Gemini 23TB. Going over the unit I find there is no spare tire and no jack provided for changing a tire even if I had a spare. My question; is this a normal OEM scope of supply ommission? And also, do other Gemini owners keep a spare on board?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
As with most all rv's, you are on your own for a spare wheel and tire. I bought one, and not from the dealer. Think about the weight of these units and the torque specs on the wheel lugs. A roadside service is your best bet. Having the spare for the service to change makes it easy for them.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Very few RV manufacturers provide a spare or a jack. The Class C I had about 8 years ago came with a spare mounted under the coach but no jack. The spare was on a Ford spare tire mount system that could not be accessed to lower the tire. If I would have ever needed to use the tire I would have had to cut the cable to lower it.

I make sure I have a good road side assistance plan because I am not going to even try to change an RV tire on the road.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
This isn't something exclusive to RV's. Many new cars today do not come with spares...or jacks. Our (new then) 2009 CTS didn't come with a spare. It had a very nice compressor in the spare tire well with 2 functions...it had a "green slime" sealer option and it also worked as a normal compressor. Our new 2019 XT5 has the same thing.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #5

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
My 2018 3500 Sprinter came with tire and jack.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #6

THOR #11130
It must have to do with whether the finished product started as a "complete vehicle" (Sprinter) or if it started as a "cab and chassis" or incomplete vehicle.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:34 PM   #7

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
It must have to do with whether the finished product started as a "complete vehicle" (Sprinter) or if it started as a "cab and chassis" or incomplete vehicle.
Mine was definitely a cab and chassis. I was thinking it was how ordered. Many dealer stock would delete options to cushion their profit.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:21 PM   #8

THOR #11130
That's it...$60K Cadillac but dealers saves $200 by not ordering a spare. They're all the same!
Old 12-28-2019, 02:56 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
As for no spares in new cars I read somewhere it was for CAFE compliance. As for RVs, it's probably for weight savings or maybe a liability issue.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #10

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I bought a spare tire and rim from my local Ford dealer and got a Curt hitch mounted carrier and tire cover from Amazon. It works well and even had to use the spare when the inside dually had a valve problem. I have CAA with RV coverage and had good service from AAA in Alaska, so it was worth spending $500 for everything
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 12-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #11

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
My 2016 Thor Siesta 24ST. Came with spare tire behind rear axle and a jack..
RV discussions that some Sprinter based RV's -the spare is moved or removed to position the leveling jacks or sway control add-ons.

I assume Those without a jack have looked in the under floor tool compartment in front of passenger seat.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #12

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
On the Ford Transit the chassis batteries are under the front drivers seat and only a Ford dealer or someone with know how, could get at them.
Coveman2
Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 01-04-2020, 04:05 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
At least on mine, Mercedes Benz put the stock bottle jack and tools under the passenger's feet. Just pull out the floor mat and there is a access cover in the floor where passenger would put their feet. Jack and tools are all in there.

I don't think the bottle jack would handle a fully configured Class C MH, but it helps me get the spare back in after taking it out. The spare is stored toward the rear of the MH frame, behind the rear wheels. The spare tire frame is a wonder of German engineering as you loosen two nuts and it hinges down and allows you to slide the spare off at ground level. Instructions are all in the Original Sprinter Owners manual, which came with the MH, but you can download a PDF version from the Sprinter owners website.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #14

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
At least on mine, Mercedes Benz put the stock bottle jack and tools under the passenger's feet. Just pull out the floor mat and there is a access cover in the floor where passenger would put their feet. Jack and tools are all in there.

I don't think the bottle jack would handle a fully configured Class C MH, but it helps me get the spare back in after taking it out. The spare is stored toward the rear of the MH frame, behind the rear wheels. The spare tire frame is a wonder of German engineering as you loosen two nuts and it hinges down and allows you to slide the spare off at ground level. Instructions are all in the Original Sprinter Owners manual, which came with the MH, but you can download a PDF version from the Sprinter owners website.
Same with mine. Luckily havent had reason to use.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Spare tires are an option on Ford Cutaways. Apparently, most RV manufacturers don’t order them at time of chassis purchase. I would guess that it’s because spares add cost, weight, and require a place to store.

On new 2021 E-350 and E-450, it should be noted that the spare does not come with TPMS. For those wanting a spare, it’s unfortunate it can’t be ordered with chassis because cost seems much lower than buying new from Ford after motorhome is built. Buying used may be cheaper though.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
My 2018 Thor Siesta built on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis did not come with a spare. I bought a rim from a company in Oklahoma (M/B knock off) for $47.00 including shipping to California and a Curt hitch mount spare tire holder. did have to relocate the rear license plate with an led license plate holder from etrailer. I bought the matching tire had had it mounted and balanced. In total around $350.00 plus some time to plug in the license plate holder to the trailer hitch plug and a couple of zip ties.

Paul
Old 01-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #17

State: California
THOR #15490
I would advise against puting tire sealants such as slime in any vehicle with chrome, alloy, or aluminum rims as it wi eat the metal steel seems to be safe but tire shops will hate you.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #18

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
My 2018 3500 Sprinter came with tire and jack.
Where is the jack located?
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:54 PM   #19

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GU...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered the tool in the above link today. This and a battery powered drill motor would allow a six year old child to break loose lugs.

I had a 1" drive model but it was too big for anything I have so I gave it to a friend. The 1" is what diesel pusher and maybe f53 might want.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HT...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I suggest the same even if you have roadside assistance.
There are few tools as poorly executed as a vehicles oem lug wrench.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #20

State: New Jersey
THOR #13774
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
OK, I'm a brand new, first time purchaser of an R . 2019 THOR Gemini 23TB. Going over the unit I find there is no spare tire and no jack provided for changing a tire even if I had a spare. My question; is this a normal OEM scope of supply ommission? And also, do other Gemini owners keep a spare on board?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Yes they do not include Jack's or tires. I have a chateau 31w. Would you want to jack up a rv on a highway to change a tire. No way.