Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2021, 04:30 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
When thinking about a "ladder option" sometimes interesting to recognize that although a vertical weight, essentially in a static environment is significant. And the ladder itself is "sturdy" .... there is great concern with the fixing points of the ladder to the RV ... combined with dynamic, multi-directional loading.* Layman terms... For instance if I asked someone to stand and jump around, pull sideways etc. for hours and see if they could loosen the ladder with a $10,000 prize if they get it loose ... is there a chance it could happen?* ...**
Or for example take a* nail and tap it half way into a 2x4 ... then just stand on it... get of it and hit it again with the relatively light hammer ... Sooo fixing a spare on the ladder too much of a risky plan for me.* Lawyer time, maybe with an on-the-road ladder fail accident.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
I want to see him attach the spare to the ladder and wait to see what happens so he can show people proof what not to do.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #23

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I have had to repair the mounting on every RV ladder I have had and I am less than 200 pounds
Old 04-01-2021, 11:12 AM   #24

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I have the Curt hitch mounted tire carrier and bought a rim and tire from my local Ford dealer. All in it was $400. i really liked the Roadmaster but up here in Canada it was $1000. The Curt hitch works and did use it while on our trip to Alaska. BTW I also moved the license plate to to the right side be vissable ( the law up here in Canada).
Coveman2
Old 04-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #25

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
THOR #4181
Fold-back spare tire mount on Axis 25.2

Just for interest …

Fold back spare tire mount on Axis 25.2 photos:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=45

Cost of mount etc.:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=49

Works for us, since we access to the rear storage compartment.
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #26

Model: Chateau
State: Arizona
THOR #20670
Spare tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Tomorrow I am heading over to Town Fair Tire to order a spare tire and wheel. About $90 for a new tire, a cheap but serviceable brand, and a new wheel for about $110. So $200 for the package.

I think I can mount it on the rear ladder using a couple of 1/2" J bolts. Easy enough to remove if I need to climb up. The tire and wheel weigh about 60 lbs which is doable.

The other thing I am considering is the ability to change out a tire myself. I will need a 4 ton bottle jack and a heavy duty jack stand. I can get both of those for about $75. I have the necessary 1/2" drive breaker bar and socket. Specs say the lug nut torque is 140 ft lbs which is similar to a big SUV.

Being able to change out a tire without calling for roadside assistance is a big relief for me.

David
I wanted to have a spare tire for my Thor Chateau 24 F. I made the mistake of buy one on Amazon for about $165 . They did not specify the weight limit. As soon as I put the tire on it , it began to sag from the weight. I knew then that it would never hold up bouncing down the road. I returned it for a full refund . I went to Camping World and ordered a Roadmaster unit which attaches into the trailer hitch for about $650. This is heavy duty and handles the weight without any problem. It also lowers the tire to the ground with ease.
Ladders on the back of an RV are NOT designed for hold a tire and wheel. I am certain you will have problems in the long long run if you try.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:40 PM   #27

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Mounting a spare tire and wheel on the ladder is not even an option, its just a disaster waiting to happen, the underside is a good choice if you have some skills, bumper and hitch mounts are an option, the wheel is not your typical E-450 van wheel and its different for the motorhome, the hitch and bumper have been known to come apart with some who have put more than average hitch loads on them, an loads on the rear bumper. after seeing some of the failures posted on this site and looking at the way Thor did the hitch an bumper install I reinforced the hitch to frame and bumper to frame mounting, they did the very minimum when they built the coach, find a good welding shop an tell them what you want and go back and look at some of the mounts some of the members have done an posted on the site, that ladder is not enough to support the weight of the average senior citizen let alone the added weight of a tire and wheel
Old 04-04-2021, 02:13 AM   #28

Model: ACE 30.1
State: California
THOR #5809
Quote:
C’mon guys. That ladder has to be good for a 200+ lb human. The tire and wheel are less than 1/3 of that. No reasonable amount of bouncing force is going to exceed 200 lbs.

But we will see.

David
It doesn't have to be - and isn't! - good for a 200 pound personson climbing up and down for hours a day, every day.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:20 AM   #29

Model: Axis 25.6
THOR #19026
Quote:
C’mon guys. That ladder has to be good for a 200+ lb human. The tire and wheel are less than 1/3 of that. No reasonable amount of bouncing force is going to exceed 200 lbs.

But we will see.

David
Think about you being strapped to that ladder and bouncing down the road. You better have 911 already dialed in. That ladder can't take that amount of weight bouncing up and down the road.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:24 AM   #30

Model: Axis 25.6
THOR #19026
Quote:
I am not yet convinced I can't successfully strap my spare tire to the ladder on my new Axis. The ladder has a support at the bottom and at the top as well as two in the middle. Each support is two 1" tubes flanged to the back or top of the coach. This is about as sturdy a ladder as I have seen. Check out the attached pic.

David
You shouldn't even trust that ladder 100% for you're climbing it much less a spare tire constantly and I mean constantly banging up and down the highway. You will be sorry if you do that.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #31

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I wouldn’t even trust the bumper after talking to
Thor and reading about attachment weld failures. If it would work safely I think Thor would sell brackets or entire spares as a purchase option - it would be profitable for them. Not to be overly critical of my friends here I’m sometimes amazed by the armchair engineering of some owners. It’s my life too if I happen to be behind you when the ladder or the tire falls off!