Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2021, 05:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #21757
spare tire wheel

hi, we just purchased a 22b chateau and since it doesn't come with a spare tire, we purchased a new tire but I am having difficulty finding the right wheel for ours. it is a chevy chassis with 8 lugs. I know that one size doesn't fit all. I am reaching out to find out the exact size. I asked Thor as well as the dealer I got it from but have not got any satisfactory answers. please advise if you know what or where to purchase this wheel/rim. I know it's a 16 in and 6.5 inches but I need more specific info. thank you.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:40 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Jerrysim

I don't have a chevy chassis but what I did was I found a company that sells rims and bought their "knock off" rims. Those are the rims that are taken off of a vehicle when a customer buys custom wheels. They are the factory rims. It was much cheaper than buying a brand new rim for a spare tire. Check around your area for a rim shop. The place I found was in Oklahoma and I only paid less than $30.00 per rim. I ended up buying 3 rims because I had two rims that were leaking air at weld joints plus I wanted to carry a spare.

Paul
Old 01-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
When I had a Ford class C I bought a new wheel from an online company called “wheelsandcaps.com”. They had just the right wheel for $55 (about $80 with shipping) and I found an orphan new tire at discount tires for $50. That was in 2018 though. Mounted and balanced I was done and done for $150. I haven’t bothered with a spare though on my last several coaches. When was he last time you actually changed a tire on the road?
Old 01-30-2021, 10:16 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
All the info you need is probably stamped on the wheels that are on you rv. When i was looking for a Ford wheel I was told to remove the wheel cover from the duals on the rear and look for the information on the wheel. In that position you'll be looking at the inside of the rim where they are usually stamped. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:45 PM   #5

THOR #989
Check with Wheels Now. They were good to work with and had a good price.

www.wheelsnowinc.com
Old 01-31-2021, 01:39 AM   #6

State: Oregon
THOR #20539
I have found a 'take off' collection of Mercedes Sprinter wheels on eBay...tire and wheel for $148...I'm arguing with myself whether I need a spare...I need help deciding...HELP ME!...��
Old 01-31-2021, 04:15 AM   #7

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsy View Post
I have found a 'take off' collection of Mercedes Sprinter wheels on eBay...tire and wheel for $148...I'm arguing with myself whether I need a spare...I need help deciding...HELP ME!...��

Well there’s really no downside to carrying a spare if you have a satisfactory way to do so. I bought one for my first RV and never used it and haven’t bothered since. When is the last time you had to change a tire on the road? I have roadside service and while it would be inconvenient to wait for help and possibly expensive, at least I have a comfortable place to wait. I have a TPMS that might warn me of a developing problem and I carry a plug kit and a compressor so I can repair some punctures. Have never used that either. In the end it all depends on your level of risk tolerance. Sorry I can’t give you a definitive answer.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:40 PM   #8

THOR #989
Pete, I agree that the odds of needing a spare low but I personally do not want to be held up looking for tire or wheel if needed. I also have heard stories of people being charged outrageous prices for a used tire that they probably replace as soon as they get home! After buying our mh I discovered the Ford 10 lug, 6.75" wide, 19.5 wheels for 245 70 19.5 tires were almost impossible to find. The 6" wide wheels are easily found but are slightly different (offset) and shouldn't be used for 245 tires. Ford's price was about $600 with an unknown delivery time a/c back-ordered. Took me over two years to find one. Some aftermarket are now available around $200.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:45 PM   #9

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
Pete, I agree that the odds of needing a spare low but I personally do not want to be held up looking for tire or wheel if needed. I also have heard stories of people being charged outrageous prices for a used tire that they probably replace as soon as they get home! After buying our mh I discovered the Ford 10 lug, 6.75" wide, 19.5 wheels for 245 70 19.5 tires were almost impossible to find. The 6" wide wheels are easily found but are slightly different (offset) and shouldn't be used for 245 tires. Ford's price was about $600 with an unknown delivery time a/c back-ordered. Took me over two years to find one. Some aftermarket are now available around $200.

Glad it works for you. How do you carry it?
Old 02-01-2021, 12:24 AM   #10

THOR #989
I had a an extra receiver tube welded above the one on the Reese hitch to hold the DIY tire carrier we made for the spare. One person can pivot it up or down by using a removable handle. A youngster could probably put the tire up there with out the pivot as there is a small support shelf the tire sits on and then bolt it to the upright. It's given me piece of mind for the last 4+ years.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:36 PM   #11

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Spare Tire for Chateau 22B (Chevrolet)

Dear Owner,

I am on my 2nd Chevrolet powered Thor Motorhome, 1st was 2014 Thor Freedom Elite 23 U with Chevrolet power, and current is a 2020 Thor Daybreak 22 GOC (aka Chateau 22E). The GM part number for the spare wheel is 22820200 and list price for it in Canada is $456.86 . The tire, mounting and balancing are not included in the price. GM uses the same wheel on all 6 wheel locations on the Chevy Express Van chassis

Best price I have found so far for the wheel is $400 delivered to Edmonton AB

It is a 16 inch steel wheel and takes a G225/75/16 inch tire. I bought a replacement OEM tire for $208.90 Canadian.

Rocky
Rocky49 is offline   Reply With Quote