Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Spare Tire and Wheel or just the tire?

Our 2021 28A came with a spare tire well in the "garage", but, of course, no spare tire.

My first thought was to just get a tire alone to save weight and cost of buying a tire in a desperate situation, assuming that the tire guy would be able to mount my tire on the appropriate wheel.

Are they usually equipped to do this, or should I get the wheel too?

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:43 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
If you always want to depend on roadside service changing out your tire then a tire only is fine. They will have the tire removal/replacement tools to do this.

I went a further step in tire independence and got a tire and wheel, a jack and breaker bar and socket to be able to change the tire myself. I can handle a 60# wheel and the 140 lbs or torque for the lug nuts. A big tire, maybe not.

David
Old 07-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It comes down to how comfortable you are with relying on others...
I don't carry anything; because there is simply no room in our little rig.
But if you carry a tire: being fully prepared doesn't really take up a whole lot more space and weight...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:37 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
We travel far distances and have several trips planned over the coming years of up to two months or more. While I have AAA RV and Good Sam, I purchased the Roadmaster Spare Tire carrier and carry a full spare that is mounted, balanced and ready to go.

Almost any service should be able to replace a flat or damaged tire in short order. If push came to shove, I could use the jacks to raise the tire an inch off the ground and do it myself.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There are far better things to consider in rv life than a 45 pound(ish) wheel upsetting some weight restriction decided by some dweeble engineer working in a cubicle farm.

Make.life.easy.

Have a wheel and tire properly inflated and ready to mount(if you have the room)
There is NO reason to go half way on this. A flat tire could very possibly damage the wheel it rode off of.

Even though I have Good Sam and State farm and extended warranty coverage (and the cash to handle it all if those somehow fail), I carry a spare and associated tools... because I can.

I haven't had a flat on a motored vehicle since 1977.
It hasn't kept me from carrying a spare to convenience ME when I need convenienced.

Judge:
Look up and tool called a
Torque multiplier.
It guarantees when you have to do the change yourself, that you can take off any lugnut applied by any teenage hamfisted air wrench wielding tire installer.
80ish bucks.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We're in an RV...
If I have to wait for someone to come change a tire: I'll just fire up the griddle, and cook something; while I'm waiting...
Oh! and maybe grab a cold Barley-Pop out of the 'Fridge...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:20 PM   #7

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
There are far better things to consider in rv life than a 45 pound(ish) wheel upsetting some weight restriction decided by some dweeble engineer working in a cubicle farm.

Make.life.easy.

Have a wheel and tire properly inflated and ready to mount(if you have the room)
There is NO reason to go half way on this. A flat tire could very possibly damage the wheel it rode off of.

Even though I have Good Sam and State farm and extended warranty coverage (and the cash to handle it all if those somehow fail), I carry a spare and associated tools... because I can.

I haven't had a flat on a motored vehicle since 1977.
It hasn't kept me from carrying a spare to convenience ME when I need convenienced.

Judge:
Torque multiplier.
It guarantees when you have to do the change yourself, that you can take off any lugnut applied by any teenage hamfisted air wrench wielding tire installer.
80ish bucks.
All good points. I've blown out my shoulders and my upper body strength is not what it used to be. I'm just thinking of worse case scenarios in that I get a blowout in the middle of a rainstorm in nowhere Kansas and the tire guy shows up three hours later and says I need a new tire, he just happens to have one on his truck for $400.

I guess push comes to shove, I get the spare tire/wheel exposed so that all that has to be done is have the spare swapped out.

Tire/wheel it is.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 07-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

Judge:
Torque multiplier.
80ish bucks.

I will check that out. I carry a large tool box that has over 50lbs in tools and I hate taking a breaker bar that won't fit in it. This may be a better option just in case I ever need to break the lugs myself.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:12 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I carry mounted spare along with long breaker bar and speedy rail for torque multiplication. Also have 12 ton bottle jack that tire installer tested when installing new tires.

May or may not wait on roadside people depending on race/vacation schedule.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:25 PM   #10

THOR #21941
Thinking of getting a tow truck for my toad. Just trying figure out where to put the driver.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:29 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How much outside storage do you have?
Old 07-21-2021, 11:14 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I negotiated a tire and wheel from the dealer when I bought new.
It came in very handy when I had the blow out...I carry no tools to change it, rely on roadside service instead but don't have to rely on them to find a spare in a warehouse...just come and change it.
I'm glad I have the wheel but If i had it to do over, I would probably go for just a tire to save weight.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:55 PM   #13

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
Our 2021 28A came with a spare tire well in the "garage", but, of course, no spare tire.

My first thought was to just get a tire alone to save weight and cost of buying a tire in a desperate situation, assuming that the tire guy would be able to mount my tire on the appropriate wheel.

I was staying at a KOA and a tire company came out and removed the front tires on a class A and replaced them at the campground in about 3 hours
Old 07-24-2021, 08:08 PM   #14

Model: 22 Freedom elite
State: Virginia
THOR #21610
https://buytruckwheels.com/
i bought a rim for my2020 thor MH Part number off rt. front wheel,while at home, took to tire place added tire & balanced it--- feel safer now. did buy Jack and socket to fit lug nuts and 2 ft breaker bar. can't trust Good Sam to find me on a rural road.
sparky322 in Va.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:31 PM   #15

THOR #20674
be careful buying good sam wheel and tire insurance ,they use bait and switch.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:38 PM   #16

State: Georgia
THOR #5083
Quote:

I would get the entire set up. Remember Ford roadside is free for 5 years 60,000 miles but you must have the wheel and tire. Call them for lock out, tow, jump, gas , tire change
Old 07-24-2021, 08:38 PM   #17

Model: 22 Freedom elite
State: Virginia
THOR #21610
thanks

just have GS tow & break down insurance
Old 07-24-2021, 11:20 PM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #20920
Driving anything including an RV without a spare, wheel, and means to change it is risky. Relying only on the roadside assistance is not the best choice. I know from experience and I now carry it all and can change my RV tire.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #19

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:

. I have a 2018 Windsport 29m. We went from NC to California, over 7750 miles and I was not about to be stranded on the side of the road with a flat and maybe have to have the correct size tire shipped and be off the road for days.!I got a rim and tire and a tire carrier from RoadMaster, over $500 but how much is piece of mind worth???? Bob Trice
Old 07-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #20

THOR #21941
My point exactly! Also thought that if I just had a tire, it would not be balanced by the road repair guy, so wheel and tire it is!