Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2021, 01:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #19397
Speed Sensor Fault

For all of you who drive RVs on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis, here is something you may not know.

Last week, my wife and I were driving to Silver Springs in Florida in our Thor Siesta. Pulling away from a traffic signal, the engine did two rapid surges. Then everything started dropping off line. Anti-lock brakes gone. ESP gone. Slipping tire icon. Cruise control gone. But the engine worked just fine.

I did some research online and everything seemed to point to a wheel speed sensor. This past Monday I took it into my Mercedes dealers, told him what happened and he shook his head and said "Speed Sensor".

Well, the other thing I'd seen online is that some dealers admit its covered under the emission control systems warranty, and others don't. I looked in my warranty booklet and yea, verily, front and rear wheel speed sensors are covered. I mentioned that to my service rep and he said "Yep, sure is. This won't cost you a dime."

Same day repair. All is well.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:54 AM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Are you talking about the speed sensor in the transmission or a abs wheel speed sensor?
Old 01-29-2021, 01:19 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
What year is your Sprinter? I have heard of this becoming an issue and hope it doesn't happen to me anytime soon.

Paul
Old 01-29-2021, 02:21 AM   #4

THOR #19397
Left rear wheel speed sensor.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:21 AM   #5

THOR #19397
Hi Paul

The Sprinter chassis is a 17, the coach is an 18.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:54 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi CAW2018SiestaSS

I have the same model 2017 chassis and 2018 coach in the Siesta24SS. I just had it in the dealership for the power steering hose recall yesterday. They also replaced(under warranty) the tiny plastic clips that hold the windshield washer sprayers to the wiper blade arms. Mine broke off last year. I had just zip tied them to the wiper arms. Planning on having my Sprinter ECU tuned at another shop to increase horsepower and torque. Getting it tuned on Feb. 03. Planning on towing our car on family trips.

Paul