Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.4
State: Texas
THOR #11738
Fridge Question

2018 ACE when I switch my fridge to auto it will only work on electric shouldn't it switch to gas when there is no electric connected or do I have to switch it to gas manually. As always, Thanks

Old 08-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
It should switch to gas. Do you get an error light by the switch? Ours had a gas failure light. It would try to light thee times and if it failed it would not try again until switch was turned off and back on.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Are you plugged into shore power? I'm not sure about this; but the "electric" option might be the system's first choice.
Unplug from Shore power, and see what happens. Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #4

THOR #11738
Fridge

Yes I get a blinking error light. Yes I am unplugged from shore power. Not really sure what to check
Old 08-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #5

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chammock View Post
Yes I get a blinking error light. Yes I am unplugged from shore power. Not really sure what to check

Does it start on gas if you move the control to Gas?
Old 08-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #6

THOR #11738
Fridge

Brain Freeze, I'll go try moving switch to Gas and see what happens
Old 08-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #7

THOR #2020
I generally light a burner on the stove first to insure gas supply and purge lines of air.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #8

Brand: Jayco
Model: Entegra Vision 31V
State: Florida
THOR #12040
Make sure that the gas valve is turned on at the tank and the gas line is purged of air.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: fire up your stovetop, and make sure that the gas is flowing!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:03 AM   #10

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Maryland
THOR #12424
I light all 3 burners for about 30 seconds to make sure air is purged, and even then about 50% of the time the fridge doesn't light the first time. When the light starts flashing I turn it off for a few seconds and then back on and it normally fires up.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:48 AM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chammock View Post
2018 ACE when I switch my fridge to auto it will only work on electric shouldn't it switch to gas when there is no electric connected or do I have to switch it to gas manually. As always, Thanks
Check your propane level .. see if your stove will light ..
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
Switch to Gas and retry

I agree with previous posts. I have experienced times when transitioning to gas from electric has not worked as it should. The fridge tries a few times to light gas flame and is not successful so it gives up.

I have found that all I need to do is turn the switch to off and then put it back on auto or gas again. It has always started the second time around.

It does not happen to us too often, but often enough that I always check to insure the transition from electrical to gas happens like it should. If not, I use the off switch to reset things and try again.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Maryland
THOR #12424
I should also add, with my 2018 ACE I discovered when I turn my inverter on it does not automatically switch to gas, it stays on electric (I have watched it go from gas to electric when I turn it on). But I don't believe my inverter is big enough to run the fridge. Not sure if something is slightly off with the way it is wired. So I turn my to gas when we travel. I need to test it and see if it runs on the inverter, but I always forget until it is loaded and we are leaving and really don't want to test it then.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:28 PM   #14

THOR #10788
My 2018 Vegas would not use shore power in Auto Mode unless the gas option was first working.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:55 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Good advice up and down these replies. If after doing previously suggested troubleshooting you still have problems, open up the outside panel where fridge igniter is located. Make sure there are no bugs, spider webs, leaves or other detritus blocking the igniter or gas feed. You may also have a little gas line adjustment knob there - twiddle that sucker back and forth a few times and then ensure it's in the "open" position. We ran into that issue the first time we tried to run our new (to us) rig's fridge on propane.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:52 AM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab3864 View Post
I should also add, with my 2018 ACE I discovered when I turn my inverter on it does not automatically switch to gas, it stays on electric (I have watched it go from gas to electric when I turn it on). But I don't believe my inverter is big enough to run the fridge. Not sure if something is slightly off with the way it is wired. So I turn my to gas when we travel. I need to test it and see if it runs on the inverter, but I always forget until it is loaded and we are leaving and really don't want to test it then.
On "electric" your fridge uses about 400 watts. Not a big stress on an inverter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:37 AM   #17

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Mine is wired to run off the inverter, so unless I switch use/store to store, it will not automatically switch to LP. If I want it running on LP, I can switch to it, but in almost two years, I think I have only run it on LP once for about two hours.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:40 AM   #18

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
It still needs 12v to operate on LP so don't expect it to work on LP if you hit the store switch.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:13 AM   #19

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
It still needs 12v to operate on LP so don't expect it to work on LP if you hit the store switch.
This is true, but if you were In store mode, in theory you would want nothing inside running. I switch mine to LP, only if I am going to be parked for more than an hour or so, with no shore power, otherwise just let it run off the inverter. Engine alternator replaces any power it consumes while underway.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:59 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab3864 View Post
Unless you have replaced the frig, all Thor plant 750 coaches less than 32 ft have two way frigs: propane and 120 volts. The circuit board for the frig is powered by the same unfused circuit that powers the propane detector. The circuit board has its own fuse. Then there is the problem if the coach is above 5,000 ft, the propane usually will not work (it is in the operating instructions). As stated, the frig will try to light on propane when the switch is in the auto position and 120 volts shore or generator power is NOT present. If you are below 4,000 ft and the propane does not light reliable, when you are sure there is propane to the frig; then the air fuel mix probably needs adjusting - it is in the instructions.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote