Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2019, 09:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #17698
Dead battery

I have a Thor Freedom elite and am having electrical problems. Everything works when plugged in. The battery in the coach started stinking and I had to replace it. Everything works on battery until it dies. The generator will not charge it and neither will the engine. I think it is a problem with the invert-er but I have never worked on a motor home and not sure what to look for.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:01 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Probably need some more info. If you plug it in to shore power what happens? Is the chassis battery being charged by the engine generator? I’m not familiar with your coach, so I am not sure if you have a BCC or BIM or BIRD and what is supposed to be charging when you are under engine, generator or shore power. If shore power charges the coach batteries, then it may be in the generator to converter/charger line. There is a circuit breaker between the two that sometimes trips.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:33 AM   #3

THOR #17698
Dead battery

I have a 2018 Freedom Elite on a Ford chassis. The battery charges and everything works fine on shore power. If I unplug it the battery dies in hours. It is a new battery and I had it load tested. The battery will not charge from the engine alternator or the generator.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #4

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Same issue. Was a bad converter.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #5

THOR #1765
It could be a bad converter, however that seems to be working while you are on shore power. That does not rule it out, but it is the most expensive to replace, so I always check the cheap things first. One question I didn't ask - do you have 120v power on generator? Do your microwave and your A/C work? If they do, then the breaker from you generator is not tripped. Next culprit could be the transfer switch which automatically switches between shore power and generator. Many people have had problems with the connections in the transfer switch. Could be the connection to the generator is bad. If not, then it could be the converter/charger.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:38 PM   #6

THOR #17698
Dead battery

I have no DC power. The rec are working 110. I have power to the breakers but none to the fuses. I have no power in or out of the invert-er. The switch that transfers shore to generator is working. The battery is fully charged ( I thought it was dead). I don;t know where the converter is.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #7

THOR #1765
If you have no DC power while under shore power or generator but you have 120v power, check and see if there is a 50 or 100 amp breaker in or near your coach battery box. In the Axis, it is in the back left hand corner and it disconnects the coach batteries from the coach. It has a red or yellow button which, when pushed, lets out a red or yellow flag which shows the the batteries are disconnected from the coach. Push the flag back in and, like magic, everything will work. If that does not solve the problem, the next thing to look at is to see if the use/store switch is working. You should hear a “thunk” when you switch it.