Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2022, 03:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurican 34P
State: Maryland
THOR #17588
Stainless steel sink winterize prep???

As we’re all aware of the quality of Thor products… I’ve noticed some rust stains in my sinks…..As I was polishing, my three stainless steel sinks to protect them for winter… My darling wife, ask what all my little friends do on the forum [emoji23]. Apparently after 30 some years she wants to know how to winterize. All good.

So what is everyone else doing or how do you prep your lovely quality stainless steel sinks for the winter?
I have used mothers… But I’m currently using purple… Mainly because a buddy of mine gave it to me for free And it has worked on a few other things.

Thanks… Bradley

Cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:14 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
There is not much to do with the stainless steel sinks. Just be sure to clean it with soap and water. I’ve yet to see any rusting, that’s one of the qualities of a stainless steel sink. Otherwise, we pour some antifreeze into the p-trap and all is good.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
All lower end stainless sinks, household included, are very susceptible to chlorine and high salt concentrations

It is quite normal for them to develop pits or rust if not cared for very well

You have to get into the high-end tier of sinks or change to a different material
Old 11-24-2022, 06:37 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
All lower end stainless sinks, household included, are very susceptible to chlorine and high salt concentrations

It is quite normal for them to develop pits or rust if not cared for very well

You have to get into the high-end tier of sinks or change to a different material
It sounds like the cure is worse than the disease. Perhaps cleaning it has caused the rusting in this case.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:03 AM   #5

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
You use a product containing chlorine on one, and it pits then rust develops

316ss or synthetic
Old 11-25-2022, 03:45 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeman View Post
As we’re all aware of the quality of Thor products… I’ve noticed some rust stains in my sinks…..As I was polishing, my three stainless steel sinks to protect them for winter… My darling wife, ask what all my little friends do on the forum [emoji23]. Apparently after 30 some years she wants to know how to winterize. All good.

So what is everyone else doing or how do you prep your lovely quality stainless steel sinks for the winter?
I have used mothers… But I’m currently using purple… Mainly because a buddy of mine gave it to me for free And it has worked on a few other things.

Thanks… Bradley
Nothing done in campers and motorhomes for years and still looks good !
Old 11-25-2022, 05:53 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I treat them like sinks in my coach. Rinse them out and use barkeepers friend when dirty.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeman View Post

Thanks… Bradley

Tell her...all your "little friends" sit on their butts all day driving while eating potato chips and junk food...we get to the campground and groan a bit as we get out of the seat, press a few buttons as we set up camp...then we make us a cocktail of choice (or a few), pull out a "settin' chair" and spend the balance of the evening right there. We're proud of all the effort it took to reach 250 pounds of sheer muscle. We don't cotton to nobydee callin' us little!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote