Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1489
Xantrex Pro 1800 inverter crazy issue

I have a 2014 Miramar 34.1 and are 2 days into a stay at Disney's Fort Wilderness. Last night about 2am, my Xantrex remote monitor started beeping. I noticed that the fridge was not on but my AC's and outside lights were still on.

Went out and reset the 50amp shore power switch and tried the inverter again. Voltage still bounced from 10.1 to 11.9 and was beeping. The status light was red which indicated fault.

Batteries indicated full charge.

I finally just turned the inverter off and took out a couple of drawers and ran an extension cord from a shore power receptical to power the fridge and a couple more to power the TV, coffee pot, etc.

When the Xantrex is turned on with the green button, I get the red fault light and the unit beeps.

I can start the coach engine and the Xantrex works like it should with 14.3 volts and a green status light. When the engine is turned back off, the voltage starts to drop and get an E02 error and starts to beep at about 11 volts. And get the red fault light.

I found the reset button on the inverter and pushed it in. I couldn't really tell if it had popped but I pushed it anyways. It did not pop back out.

Thanks
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If I am not mistaken E02 on the Xantrex Pro 1800 is a low voltage error (Under Voltage Shutdown).

Have you checked to ensure your use/store switch is in the use position and didn't get accidentally hit and switched to store.

I see 3 things happening here.

First your house batteries are dropping voltage to the point the inverter cuts off.

Second your AGS needs to be adjusted so the generator kicks on before you get the E02 error.

Third, and this is more of a question, why are you using the inverter if you are connected to shore power?

As to the inverter control panel reading 14 volts with the engine running, it is reading the voltage from the engine alternator being used to charge the batteries. The same holds true when connected to shore power and the use/store switch in use it is reading the voltage going to the batteries for charging. To read actual battery voltage on the inverter control panel the engine must be off and you must be disconnected from shore power.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #3

THOR #1489
After doing more test, I find that the batteries indicate FULL anytime I am on shore power. If I disconnect from shore power, the display panel where I check the battery level (and tank,LP,water levels) is completely dead. I assume that this would indicate that the batteries are dead.

If I'm not mistaken, I have always needed to turn on the inverter in order to run the electric only fridge.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar2014 View Post
After doing more test, I find that the batteries indicate FULL anytime I am on shore power. If I disconnect from shore power, the display panel where I check the battery level (and tank,LP,water levels) is completely dead. I assume that this would indicate that the batteries are dead.

If I'm not mistaken, I have always needed to turn on the inverter in order to run the electric only fridge.
It could indicate the use/store switch is not in the use position.

The inverter is not required when connected to shore power or when the generator is running. It is only required when 120 VAC is not available such as when rolling down the road without the generator running or when dry camping.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #5

THOR #6023
Inverter

I have a 2014 miramar and the inverter has burned up twice, when I unplug the shore power it fried the inverter. any ideas why this is happening?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life'sabeach View Post
I have a 2014 miramar and the inverter has burned up twice, when I unplug the shore power it fried the inverter. any ideas why this is happening?
Was the generator running when you unplugged from shore power? Was the inverter on when you unplugged? Did this happen after unplugging and then turning on the inverter or starting the generator? Did this happen every time or did it function correctly for a period of time and then fry?

More details required before speculation can begin.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #7

THOR #6023
The genset was off and the only thing on was the freg. i turned the breaker off at the campsite and unpluged the shore power and the unit started smoking.
this is the second one it lasted about a week.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I dont have your inverter but I can tell you it is easier than you might think to fry one, If your system auto switches to line power when you plug in and then back to the inverter when you unplug and your fridge compressor was running at the time you disconnected the surge could weaken it or fry it. I had a small 200w inverter to run a TV that only needed 50w to run. I made the mistake of plugging in the TV and then turning the inverter on, it promptly fried the inverter. It seems that as the inverter was coming on the TV start circuit was drawing a very large current. I learned that day to have the inverter up and running before any load gets placed on it. Like I say I dont know if your inverter is disconnected when you are on shore power or if it has a time delay to allow it to come on fully like the genset does before it switches, but if not I bet its toast.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #9

THOR #6023
Here is the protection for the unit xantrex 1800 pro.
Battery over-voltage and under-voltage protection
Over temperature shutdown
Automatic overload protection
Short-circuit protection
Ground fault protection
Old 11-29-2016, 01:25 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I've always understood that it is bad mojo to have your inverter on when connected to shore power or on your generator; it doesn't like AC power coming in when its job is to create AC power for devices. My recommendation would be to leave it off unless you need it while boondocking without any AC power coming in.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:25 AM   #11

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I've always understood that it is bad mojo to have your inverter on when connected to shore power or on your generator; it doesn't like AC power coming in when its job is to create AC power for devices. My recommendation would be to leave it off unless you need it while boondocking without any AC power coming in.
Loss an inverter last year when the tempature was over 105 outside running down the road. I also ran the generator for period of time for the AC. Stopped to get gas and shut everything down. The last time that inverter worked.

I never have inverter on when hooked to shore power or using the generator now. Allow some time before swapping to and from each.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:13 AM   #12

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life'sabeach View Post
When you unplug from shore power, are you turning the breaker off at the pedestal before unplugging? 90-95% of time I go to plug in at a campground, I find the 50/30 amp breaker on, which tells me the previous user simply yanked their power cord out. If you don't turn that breaker off, you run the risk of a stray electron or an ark which could cause problems.

Also, I only turn my inverter on after I've disconnected from shore power and turn it off before I flip the breaker on the pedestal.

So, if I'm connected to an AC power source, I leave the inverter off. I too experienced the E02 under voltage warning while dry camping, I had to turn the inverter off, sit a few seconds and turned it back on.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:49 AM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Xantrex 1800 Pro when turned on and plugged into shore power, or generator is running will internally switch to power pass through mode, so even if the inverter switch is on, you are not inverting, only passing power through it. So I was told by the tech that installed mine.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #14

THOR #1530
Hi, I own a 2014 Miramar 34.1 with a Xantrex Pro XM-1800 Inverter. Any ideas why the fans on the inverter are running when the Inverter is turned off and the unit is plugged into shore power? The minute I unplug, the fans go off, and when I plug back in, the fans run. There is also no difference if the house battery switch is on or off. Also, this happens whether or not the Inverter was in use or not prior to plugging in. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:47 PM   #15

THOR #578
If I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure someone will correct me; power runs through the inverter even when the switch is off and you are connected to shore power. So the fan will run to keep the unit cool.

Cheers!!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:01 AM   #16

THOR #1530
Thanks for your response.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:38 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane
THOR #6038
Oh my gosh! After reading this I'm scared to death I'll burn up my X1800 Inverter! I'm reading the manual but you have all made great suggestions/warnings.
So:
1) don't turn it on with generator or shore power
2) turn off breaker before unplugging from shore power
3) make sure use/storage is in use position
4) if I get E02 warning turn it off and back on

Anything else? Thanks!!
Old 03-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #18

THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amespa View Post
Oh my gosh! After reading this I'm scared to death I'll burn up my X1800 Inverter! I'm reading the manual but you have all made great suggestions/warnings.
So:
1) don't turn it on with generator or shore power
2) turn off breaker before unplugging from shore power
3) make sure use/storage is in use position
4) if I get E02 warning turn it off and back on

Anything else? Thanks!!
YES,

Now, go out and enjoy your Hurricane, that's an order!!!

Cheers!!!!
Old 03-04-2017, 05:10 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane
THOR #6038
Yes sir!!!! But only because you ordered me to. Ha ha