Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2017, 02:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Illinois
THOR #6402
Steering Wheel & Alignment on 2017 Thor Axis 25.2

I am the happy owner of a new 2017 Axis 25.2 that I purchased a couple weeks ago. When I test drove it at the dealer, I noticed the steering wheel was not centered when driving straight down the road. It didn't feel it needed an alignment, but the steering wheel on an angle bothers me. The dealer didn't offer to do anything. He just said wait 1,000 miles and get an alignment. I later found an alignment sheet in my packet of papers, and it shows red on one part (i don't have it with me now).

So, my question is, would an alignment this early be covered by my dealer, Thor, or my cost? Also, what would an alignment cost on a motorhome? Would it straighten the steering wheel?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
I had my 2016 Axis 24.1 aligned at 7k miles. I also had the same problem with the alignment of the steering wheel. When they did the front end alignment they said it was out of alignment (can't remember the details). They also realigned the steering wheel. It really made a difference in overall steering experience. I was not having to make constant adjustments while driving. I've read on this forum where Ford says you should get the front end aligned when new because adding the coach to the chassis can effect the alignment. Given my experience this sounds right.

One other note, I recently took my RV off road (dirt roads) where it got banged around a little bit. Since then I notice the steering wheel is a little off center again. I guess this is something I'll have to deal with on an ongoing basis. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler
One other note, I recently took my RV off road (dirt roads) where it got banged around a little bit. Since then I notice the steering wheel is a little off center again. I guess this is something I'll have to deal with on an ongoing basis. Good luck!
When I had my alignment the shop instructed me to drive it for ~100 miles and bring it back to check. Said sometimes the Ford's drift.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Many Axis and Vegas owners have experienced this. It has been a general recommendation here on the Forums to have the front end alignment done asap after taking delivery of your coach. While Ford aligns the front end on the chassis, once the motor home body is installed, it nearly always seems to need it again. I had mine done at 300 miles and it made a tremendous difference. I also installed a Safe-T-Plus steering damper and it reduced the see-saw in the steering and gave the front end a lot of stability. I also installed heavy-duty sway bars and that eliminated the roll in curves, etc and also the reaction to passing trucks. I would suggest all three if you are going to be doing a lot of driving.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Axis

If the steering wheel is not aligned that is a sign of needing front end alignment. Personally I would not take delivery of the coach until it was aligned. I put steering stabilizer on and Sumo Springs which made a huge difference.

Kev
Old 02-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiersma View Post
I am the happy owner of a new 2017 Axis 25.2 that I purchased a couple weeks ago. When I test drove it at the dealer, I noticed the steering wheel was not centered when driving straight down the road. It didn't feel it needed an alignment, but the steering wheel on an angle bothers me. The dealer didn't offer to do anything. He just said wait 1,000 miles and get an alignment. I later found an alignment sheet in my packet of papers, and it shows red on one part (i don't have it with me now).

So, my question is, would an alignment this early be covered by my dealer, Thor, or my cost? Also, what would an alignment cost on a motorhome? Would it straighten the steering wheel?

Thanks in advance.
I had the same issue with my Axis because it drifted. The dealer gave me some lame explanation. Then I took it to a professional truck alignment shop and bingo bingo bingo...my rig was tracking straight without the safety steering shock. The truck shop added a caster shim.

Take it back and tell them to fix it. Or, fix it yourself and get reimbursed by the manufacturer or dealer.

You may need to ruffle a few feathers
Old 02-20-2017, 02:32 AM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4119
Steering Wheel & Alignment on 2017 Thor Axis 25.2

hpiersma,

We have a 2015 Axis 24.1 and had our alignment done in San Antonio TX. It was billed directly to Thor and Thor paid. Then we installed Safety Plus. Aligned successfully and no drift in the steering.

Machlin
Old 03-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Illinois
THOR #6402
Well, as the person that started this post, I brought my new Axis to Cassidy Tire in Crystal Lake, only a few miles away. For $150, I now have a really good wheel alignment AND a straight steering wheel. Feels so much better. I am attempting to get reimbursed by Thor.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:20 AM   #9

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
Many Axis and Vegas owners have experienced this. It has been a general recommendation here on the Forums to have the front end alignment done asap after taking delivery of your coach. While Ford aligns the front end on the chassis, once the motor home body is installed, it nearly always seems to need it again. I had mine done at 300 miles and it made a tremendous difference. I also installed a Safe-T-Plus steering damper and it reduced the see-saw in the steering and gave the front end a lot of stability. I also installed heavy-duty sway bars and that eliminated the roll in curves, etc and also the reaction to passing trucks. I would suggest all three if you are going to be doing a lot of driving.
Ditto - did the same except for sway bar. .
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote