Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Stem valves

Hi, I have a 17 gemini. Bought in feb. Being anal about tire pressure ,discovered how difficult it is to fill and check . Thinking of aftermarket extension valves for rear dual tires , along with pressure monitoring system . What are best reliable poducts out there. Ford dealer down the road will install. ( for a small fee) I'm trying to make this a 1 time thing.
Thanks......

Old 08-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkirk View Post
Hi, I have a 17 gemini. Bought in feb. Being anal about tire pressure ,discovered how difficult it is to fill and check . Thinking of aftermarket extension valves for rear dual tires , along with pressure monitoring system . What are best reliable poducts out there. Ford dealer down the road will install. ( for a small fee) I'm trying to make this a 1 time thing.
Thanks......
I'm no expert, but based on other posts here and reviews online, I recently bought the EezTire TPMS on Amazon, made by EEZ RV Products. The one I bought has 6 sensors for my Challenger. Install was EASY! Great peace of mind.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
I also bought the EEzTire TPMS system. Easy to program and great customer support if you do have a question. I recently had one tire not reading on gauge. I called and left message. In less than an hour I had a call back from EEZ. The internal battery in the sensor will last 12 to 18 months before needed to be replaced. Part number is 1632 readily available at hardware store, Walmart, etc.
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I think the "best" extentions are likely those by duallyvalve
Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis
They are the kind you need a tire shop to install by removing the tire from the rim.
although I never got around to getting them. I planned for a long time to do it, though.

My braided hose extensions from the factory leaked, and I pulled them off after much grief.

I modified my wheel simulators trying to get access. Better, but not a fix

I bought some rigid valve extensions from ebay, along with some rubber insert stabilizers form duallyvalve. Better, but they didn't play well with my TST sensors. The valve stem (push wire inside the extensions) was a bit too long, and would either damage the sensor, plug the sensor, ar just plain not work sometimes.

I eventually decided that these wheel simulators were the cause of all my grief. They may look pretty, but not pretty enough to offset all the headaches they give me....so mine are currently stored in my attic. Honestly, I wish I'd done this years ago!
Old 08-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #5

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Had valve extensions installed on my 22FE Freedom Elite yesterday at Les Schwab in town. Installed new metal ones that are accessible now. Total bill $82. and change. Just me, but I don't have the confidence in the extensions and don't want any unforeseen problems that I've read about with them.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
They are the kind you need a tire shop to install by removing the tire from the rim.
although I never got around to getting them. I planned for a long time to do it, though.. QOUTE

The problem I see with these is you wouldn't be able to rotate the front tires onto the rear without dismounting & moving valve stems. Maybe you don't move the fronts to the rear or include the spare while rotating, but some of us a do & I don't know if those are moveable/reuseable even if you wanted to go that route.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
although I never got around to getting them. I planned for a long time to do it, though.. QOUTE

The problem I see with these is you wouldn't be able to rotate the front tires onto the rear without dismounting & moving valve stems. Maybe you don't move the fronts to the rear or include the spare while rotating, but some of us a do & I don't know if those are moveable/reuseable even if you wanted to go that route.

That's what I did. Mine cost $110 from "Your Tire Co" in CA by internet and $100 for a local tire shop to install on the four rear wheels. I have much more confidence in rigid long valves than flexible extensions. You're right about rotating tires. I'll just swap the rears left to right. I probably will replace my tires "early" (whatever that means) as a precaution. I also have a Tire Minder TPMS which I consider essential kit. I also carry a spare. Im a bit anal about my tires....!
Old 08-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post

I recon that's more of an issue for you towing a 5th wheel where your dually is more likely a daily driver, in which case rotation is maybe more necessary.

In my case with the MH, I don't put enough miles on to even consider rotating so its a non-issue.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #9

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I had the same problem with our Gemini, no way to get to any of the rear valves. I had a tire guy, I have dealt with for years, come out and re-engineer it. Now all four valves are easily accessible from the side of the outside tire. That IMO should be part of how they are delivered.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #10

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I had the same problem with our Gemini, no way to get to any of the rear valves. I had a tire guy, I have dealt with for years, come out and re-engineer it. Now all four valves are easily accessible from the side of the outside tire. That IMO should be part of how they are delivered.
Our 2017 Challenger came with the extenders. The two inner tires' valves are accessible at the outer wheels. Made it very easy for me to install the Eez Tire TPMS.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Bought a 2017 Challenger 37 TB with 5045 miles , no sign of inner valve stems, guess they've never been checked ! Thought I saw on a YouTube review that they came with extensions, musta, dreamed it
Old 04-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #12

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Complain to Thor, I did and they reimbursed me for the work I had done.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #13

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
Bought a 2017 Challenger 37 TB with 5045 miles , no sign of inner valve stems, guess they've never been checked ! Thought I saw on a YouTube review that they came with extensions, musta, dreamed it
That’s odd. Mine have the valves for the outer tire as normal, and an extended valve coming through the wheel from the inner tire as well. Came that way on my 37LX.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #14

THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
That’s odd. Mine have the valves for the outer tire as normal, and an extended valve coming through the wheel from the inner tire as well. Came that way on my 37LX.
Nope nothingClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180430_100638.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	9997Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180430_100725.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	9998
Old 04-30-2018, 08:47 PM   #15

THOR #7863
I will share a pic of mine in a couple days when I bring it home to load for our next trip.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:51 PM   #16

THOR #11321
Got inter valve extentions installed.
$100+Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180515_075124.jpeg
Views:	111