Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #3257
Step Dragging when Closing

Our step out of our Thor Chateau RV, when it goes back in, has started to "chatter" loudly after it is all the way in. Stops the chattering on its own. My husband has crawled underneath while I opened and shut the door. There is nothing hanging up on the step. He thinks it is the motor dying on us. Anyone ever had this experience or have any other idea what might be causing it?

Old 12-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I haven't had the experience but if the "chattering" is gear slippage it could be the motor. But if the "chattering" is is more like a stop and go then it may be a sensor or the controller.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #3

State: Utah
THOR #3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I haven't had the experience but if the "chattering" is gear slippage it could be the motor. But if the "chattering" is is more like a stop and go then it may be a sensor or the controller.

It is not stop and go. Step goes in and motor continues and makes chattering sound for about 5 seconds then stops.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
As the ACE says it may be the gears.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:42 PM   #5

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
3 1/4" (IIRC) bolts holds the motor in. It's a tight fit, you may have to pry a bit. Disconnect the motor connector and remove the motor, when the step is out. You can then move the step by hand and look at the large plastic gear inside the gearbox and the motor gear itself.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Motor or gear box is bad. Start by changing the motor first. Its rare for the gear box gear to break but it does happen
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:53 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If it's "chattering" AFTER the step has fully retracted, it might be a sensor switch that's loose or out of adjustment - and NOT the motor.

The step at some point (both when opening and closing) has to make contact with a mechanical switch that stops the motor. If one of those switches is out of position, the motor may continue turning, which could be "jumping gears" and eventually strip the gears.

I'd locate those switches as part of your investigation.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Motor and gearbox are a single component. After 2005 replacement part number is LC 379147. $82 on Amazon. $87 on E Trailer with free shipping. Ask me how I know? I made the error of opening the door with the MH's cover strap over the step. In the ensuing wresting match the nylon cover strap defeated the opener gears.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:13 AM   #9

THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If it's "chattering" AFTER the step has fully retracted, it might be a sensor switch that's loose or out of adjustment - and NOT the motor.

The step at some point (both when opening and closing) has to make contact with a mechanical switch that stops the motor. If one of those switches is out of position, the motor may continue turning, which could be "jumping gears" and eventually strip the gears.

I'd locate those switches as part of your investigation.
Not how it works. The controller senses the higher current load when the step hits the stop, and that's how the motor is turned off. There are not switches, open or closed, on a Kwikee step. That current sense is exactly how the window motor assy works in a modern car.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:03 AM   #10

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Not how it works. The controller senses the higher current load when the step hits the stop, and that's how the motor is turned off. There are not switches, open or closed, on a Kwikee step. That current sense is exactly how the window motor assy works in a modern car.
Which is a damn good feature as I have parked on the street at home and if I neglect to 'disable' the step, when I open the door, the step hits the high curb and stops partially out. I just say @#$%! and close the door... the step retracts back into travel mode and all is well.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:14 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
My bad... just speculation. My Chateau doesn't have retractable steps. I guess sometimes it pays to keep your mouth shut... .
Old 12-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #12

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
My step transmission failed and it did exactly what you describe (ratchet noise on withdraw) before finally breaking. It is not the motor. I was able to swap in a new trans without it being a big deal. Worked great afterward.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:33 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenov View Post
Our step out of our Thor Chateau RV, when it goes back in, has started to "chatter" loudly after it is all the way in. Stops the chattering on its own. My husband has crawled underneath while I opened and shut the door. There is nothing hanging up on the step. He thinks it is the motor dying on us. Anyone ever had this experience or have any other idea what might be causing it?
Had a similar problem on my Hurricane. Turned out to be road grime buildup on the moving joints. I power washed them and lubricated afterwards which cleared the issue
Old 12-08-2021, 09:42 PM   #14

Model: Challenger LX
State: South Carolina
THOR #12124
Step Dragging

I had the same problem after putting carpet strips on the steps. The strips did not allow the steps to make the full retract motion and to lock into position when they retract thus ruining the gear, also never step down on the steps until the steps are fully extended and have locked in place. I replaced the motor and gear assembly, not hard to replace, just make sure it’s in time to lock into position. You will see when you read the instructions.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:50 PM   #15

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
Had a similar problem on my Hurricane. Turned out to be road grime buildup on the moving joints. I power washed them and lubricated afterwards which cleared the issue
Mine say's to lubricate every 30 days so far so good
Old 12-08-2021, 10:04 PM   #16

THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Mine say's to lubricate every 30 days so far so good
Kwikee even has a special lube.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lippert-3...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #17

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
That looks good, Amazon has it for 26.85, I have been using lubriplate but this looks easier
Old 12-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #18

THOR #15042
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenov View Post
It is the motor strpped gear .I painted mine with thick pant in 100. Degrees heat when dried up I start having same problem.I called Lippert they sent motor and gearbox.during Covid-19’s shutdown but I did not get it quickly so l order it again and I ended up with 2 sets ,I put one in that fixed it. Now I have an extra motor and gearbox I can sell it to you for $175.00 I pad $275.00 my email Mgtv53@aol.com. If interested