Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2019, 11:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Florida
THOR #11144
Step motor

The motor to the step runs on my 2017 ACE but the step is stuck in the open position. Engine running or not makes no difference. When the door opens the light comes on and the motor runs. When the door closes the motor runs and the light goes out. In both scenarios the step does not move. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:07 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Is the motor connected to the steps? Earlier this year the pin that connects the linkage on my Hurricane lost its cotter pin and was in the process of backing out. The step was noisey going in or out. If the pin had come completely out the steps would have stayed extended.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:07 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I think Jerry had a similar problem on his 29m. Search his Hurricane mods thread or he might pop in here.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:35 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I had a different problem my step going in made a ratcheting sound. Ended up being a broken gear tooth In the gear box

If you here the motor turning and the step doesn't move then either the gear in the motor is completely broken off or as said above the pin may have backed out. But if it's the pin the step would move easily by have it even if you step on it

Look at the attaching pin. If its hooked up call LCI very good customer service

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:13 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
I have not had the chance to verify this but if you have the motor off then a trip to an autoparts store would probably be worth it, I was told the motor is a Dorman rear power window motor 97 ford crown vic which side I dont know but there is a right and a left. If you do check it out lets us know!
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #6

Model: HURRICANE 35C
THOR #16807
Step Motor

Sounds like pin that holds the gear in place on the shaft is broken.

Doesn't seem like it would strip "All" of the teeth off the gear. Maybe striped enough teeth so that it doesn't contact the other gear.

The motor is not very hard to take it apart. Just mark where everything is or take pictures so you can get it orientated correctly when you put it back together.

Bob
Old 10-27-2019, 07:55 PM   #7

THOR #11144
Step problem found

I believe I found the problem with the step not operating despite "hearing" the motor running. I "vaguely" remember being in a hurry and exited the coach prior to the step being fully extended. It appears that the nylon/plastic gears are stripped and now are not fully engaged. A new motor on the way..for about $75.00

Attachment 21110
Old 10-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #8

Model: HURRICANE 35C
THOR #16807
Step Motor

Happy to hear you found the problem. I forgot the motors have plastic gears now.

Wait for the step next time! LOL

Bob
Old 10-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #9

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBard48 View Post
I believe I found the problem with the step not operating despite "hearing" the motor running. I "vaguely" remember being in a hurry and exited the coach prior to the step being fully extended. It appears that the nylon/plastic gears are stripped and now are not fully engaged. A new motor on the way..for about $75.00

Attachment 21110
That's the #1 cause of failure for the steps. Nylon gears are weak. But I've never heard of them causing the step to not move at all. Always a first

LCI was positive that the nylon gear was bad on mine after sending me two motors, electric control box and gear box. it ended up being the gear box that they said never goes bad. So I was a 1% now I have two extra motors and a control box. I'm sure I'll be helping someone at a campground since I have the parts

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #10

THOR #11144
Installed the new motor and step works like a charm....that is if you want the steps out when door closed and steps in when door open. Ha. Had to tear apart and reverse. Installing was a challenge seeing that everything is upside down and backwards. Pictures and lots of thinking would have prevented this futile exercise. Finally got things working better than ever and now I feel I am a “Step Expert”. Thanks for all the feedback and support. This forum is great.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:23 PM   #11

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
That's the #1 cause of failure for the steps. Nylon gears are weak. But I've never heard of them causing the step to not move at all. Always a first

LCI was positive that the nylon gear was bad on mine after sending me two motors, electric control box and gear box. it ended up being the gear box that they said never goes bad. So I was a 1% now I have two extra motors and a control box. I'm sure I'll be helping someone at a campground since I have the parts

Jerry
Seems like using the motor to operate the steps should be kept to a minimum. Easy to do when parked to keep the step from going in and out every time you open or close a door. Also, when storing between trips, put the steps in the out position and let it alone. No need to have it run every time you visit the coach in storage.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:27 PM   #12

THOR #11144
We always “lock” it open or closed when camping. Unfortunately I was too anxious when i pulled into dump station and stepped out before step was totally extended. I guess I was too excited about dumping and couldn’t control myself.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:45 PM   #13

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Seems like using the motor to operate the steps should be kept to a minimum. Easy to do when parked to keep the step from going in and out every time you open or close a door. Also, when storing between trips, put the steps in the out position and let it alone. No need to have it run every time you visit the coach in storage.
Dont know if that true. The motors are car window motors and I never hear of them going bad.

It's important to let the step fully open before stepping on it. Probably the main cause of failure

But I alway hit the switch to lock the steps out when camping to keep it from going in and out

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-03-2019, 03:39 AM   #14

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
A different step problem

My step stopped operating either direction. Read up on the LCI trouble shooting, bought the recommended pigtail and determined the motor was "bad". $150 later had a new motor assembly installed, problem fixed.

Opened up the "bad" motor, everything looked good, brushes, commutator, gear, etc. However, could not apply power at connect and make it run?
Long story short, there is a capacitor in series with one of the brushes that is open. If power is connected directly to the brushes, motor runs well.

I think the capacitor is a "soft start" component so, there isn't a hard jolt when motor starts. Working to find another one now. If I can fix it, I have a spare.

Things an engineer with time on his hands get into
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote