Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2018, 09:29 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
My wonderful son left a flip flop on the step and when retracting basically killed the motor (sheered it). I had to buy a new motor and replace it which was simple to do. I think three screws and one connector. Steps have worked fine ever since. They seem to be very touchy if anything gets in their way (low ground, curb, flip flop, etc) and it kills the motor.

2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:39 PM   #22

State: Minnesota
THOR #5462
Steps not working

We had the same problem we replaced the motor the harness everything it was none of those try the easy first it was the magnet. Now I have spare parts. The magnet is on the screen u can order a new one on Amazon after I spent a couple hundred on all the other the magnet was only about $25
Old 07-29-2018, 11:46 PM   #23

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyfou View Post
We had the same problem we replaced the motor the harness everything it was none of those try the easy first it was the magnet. Now I have spare parts. The magnet is on the screen u can order a new one on Amazon after I spent a couple hundred on all the other the magnet was only about $25

Do you recall the magnet ’item’ on Amazon?
Old 07-30-2018, 12:39 AM   #24

State: Minnesota
THOR #5462
Sorry no I ordered the 1st one too big but it was a lippert part
Old 07-30-2018, 01:14 AM   #25

THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyfou View Post
Sorry no I ordered the 1st one too big but it was a lippert part

Perfect...Lippert part.
Thank you much, Ken
Old 08-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #26

THOR #5754
As an update, Technical Suppprt at Lippert responded immediately when I called and sent a new step motor assembly. My gratitude to March Stahl at 524 537 8900 at LCI for replacement of the Kwikee Step Series 32 assembly.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #27

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
When our steps stopped working, it turned out to be a pooped fuse. It took CW a couple days to find out that the fuse was located in the engine compartment.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #28

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: California
THOR #8546
2017 Thor Miramar KwiKee Step Problems

I have a 2017 Thor Miramar Coach. The electric steps stopped working altogether and have failed in the fully UP position (thankfully, I suppose). I have followed all of the troubleshooting procedures from Lippert, and am convinced the problem is either the Controller or the Motor. From all that I have read, the motor is most likely the problem, but I nevertheless obtained replacements for BOTH. The only problem is that I cannot reach the motor or easily reach the controller. There is a Clevis Pin with a cotter key, that is supposed to make it possible to disconnect the linkage from the motor so I can lower the steps and easily access both motor and controller. The only problem is that the way Thor constructed the Miramar, I cannot even reach through the front of the step to get to the cotter pin and clevis. I seem to be at a stalemate.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you resolve it? Is there some magic hatch in the stairwell that I cannot see, which would allow me into the guts of the thing?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyOldPeach View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Miramar Coach. The electric steps stopped working altogether and have failed in the fully UP position (thankfully, I suppose). I have followed all of the troubleshooting procedures from Lippert, and am convinced the problem is either the Controller or the Motor. From all that I have read, the motor is most likely the problem, but I nevertheless obtained replacements for BOTH. The only problem is that I cannot reach the motor or easily reach the controller. There is a Clevis Pin with a cotter key, that is supposed to make it possible to disconnect the linkage from the motor so I can lower the steps and easily access both motor and controller. The only problem is that the way Thor constructed the Miramar, I cannot even reach through the front of the step to get to the cotter pin and clevis. I seem to be at a stalemate.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you resolve it? Is there some magic hatch in the stairwell that I cannot see, which would allow me into the guts of the thing?
Can't help with your pin problem except to try from different angles, maybe come at it from behind

One other thing to check is the magnet on the door and its connection. That connection controls the opening and closing of the step

You may want to check the voltage at the wire harness where it plugs into the motor while opening and closing the door
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:33 AM   #30

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Can't help with your pin problem except to try from different angles, maybe come at it from behind

One other thing to check is the magnet on the door and its connection. That connection controls the opening and closing of the step

You may want to check the voltage at the wire harness where it plugs into the motor while opening and closing the door
Thanks for the prompt response!

I did follow all of the trouble-shooting guidelines, including verifying the magnetic door sensor, the step bypass switch, and the Ignition bypass. All work fine, and return the proper voltage readings associated with their operation. The problem has to be either the motor or the controller.... if I could only access them.

I have tried accessing that darned cotter pin and clevis from every available angle. Unfortunately the nature of Kwikee's design makes it impossible to get at the thing easily when the step is all the way up, except from through a crack beneath the coach and the top of the step.... which Miramar has seen fit to totally obscure. I can't reach around the motor and linkage from behind, and the design of the assembly makes access from the sides impossible. SO FRUSTRATING!

I did find one poor soul's video on YouTube who seemed to have the same problem, but on a different coach. He had to loosen the entire linkage mount (motor and all) from four support bolts holding the entire assembly to the plate, until sufficient space appeared between the step and the mounting plate to access the cotter pin holding the clevis in place. Once that was removed, the step (now disconnected from the motor and drive) could be lowered manually, and all of the necessary components exposed for replacement. I think that will be my next step.

I appreciate your thoughtful suggestions.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:49 AM   #31

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyOldPeach View Post
Thanks for the prompt response!

I did follow all of the trouble-shooting guidelines, including verifying the magnetic door sensor, the step bypass switch, and the Ignition bypass. All work fine, and return the proper voltage readings associated with their operation. The problem has to be either the motor or the controller.... if I could only access them.

I have tried accessing that darned cotter pin and clevis from every available angle. Unfortunately the nature of Kwikee's design makes it impossible to get at the thing easily when the step is all the way up, except from through a crack beneath the coach and the top of the step.... which Miramar has seen fit to totally obscure. I can't reach around the motor and linkage from behind, and the design of the assembly makes access from the sides impossible. SO FRUSTRATING!

I did find one poor soul's video on YouTube who seemed to have the same problem, but on a different coach. He had to loosen the entire linkage mount (motor and all) from four support bolts holding the entire assembly to the plate, until sufficient space appeared between the step and the mounting plate to access the cotter pin holding the clevis in place. Once that was removed, the step (now disconnected from the motor and drive) could be lowered manually, and all of the necessary components exposed for replacement. I think that will be my next step.

I appreciate your thoughtful suggestions.
Good luck with it and keep us posted
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #32

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Well, you’re just going to have to do what you have to do! If you can’t get at the clevis pin you’ll have to try something else. Can you get the lever arm off of the motor/gearbox? Can you get the motor off with it still connected? Once you get it apart anywhere you should be able to extend the steps manually and have access to what you need. Or you might need to unbolt the whole step assembly from the vehicle. When my steps jammed they were out and I expected to have to replace the motor. In reality they were just jammed somehow and once I got the clevis out everything worked fine when I put it back together. I carry a spare motor/gearbox just in case though.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
When our steps stopped working, it turned out to be a pooped fuse...
That sounds like a crappy situation...
Glad to see that it is all behind you now...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:22 AM   #34

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
Steps Not Working

We had the exact same problem as the OP with our ‘18 Miramar (37.1, but probably doesn’t matter). Went to go out when we arrived at a campground, steps wouldn’t extend. I recall the light did come on like it should, which suggested to me the motor was getting power and just not moving. After a lot of cursing, work and trying lots of different tools, eventually got the pin out so I could get to the motor. Pulled the motor off of the gearbox and didn’t find anything wrong (water, corrosion or broken windings). Put it back together and it operated fine for about a year until it happened again with the exact same symptoms and resolution. I suspected at the time that there may be a bad spot on the motor where it wasn’t making contact and removing inspecting the motor moved it to a different position.

A couple of months ago, we found the steps went OUT whenever the key was turned on, which is the opposite of what it should be doing but all other modes worked as desired. Pulled the motor plug when it was in so I could get it home. Ran through the troubleshooting steps in the manual and the control module was clearly misbehaving. Replaced the module which fixed the ignition behavior and it may have been my imagination, but it sounded much better than it did previously.

So, clearly there was an issue with the controller the third time. It’s hard to say whether we’ll see a repeat of steps being stuck in or whether it was also a controller issue. Unfortunately, I wasn’t aware of those steps at the time, so only time will tell at this point.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/C...VAWVWIWYsm.jpg
TheDustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #35

Model: 35.3 miramar
State: Florida
THOR #17329
wires pinched

have not had prob yet but as you can see the main wires are pinched between metal i have tried to protect wires which were running against step and discovered this. fortunately under warranty which i am adding to our very lengthy list of other pitiful mfg if our rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB42C3A6-1577-4A53-BA79-494B1F6BCD81.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	25712  
Old 09-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #36

State: Iowa
THOR #16358
I had read somewhere if someone steps on the steps too soon before they are all the way in or out that will trigger them to stop working until you restart the RV. It resets the steps.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #37

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by steggall7 View Post
I had read somewhere if someone steps on the steps too soon before they are all the way in or out that will trigger them to stop working until you restart the RV. It resets the steps.

Speaking from experience....I stepped on mine at a gas station while they were still moving and it jammed them up. They did t reset or work again until I took them apart a week or so later. Never did see exactly what the jam was but they’ve been working fine since.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:01 PM   #38

State: Iowa
THOR #16358
That’s good!
Old 09-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #39

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Steps Shutdown

My story is when I pulled the MH in front of our house the first time, upon opening the door, the step started to extend, then hit the curb. That jammed them and I freaked. Thinking the motor is fried, I was able to crawl under to disconnect the linkage and tie up the steps in the stowed position. Took it all to the stealer and they put it together and found nothing wrong.??? So as it happens, I have to use the chassis battery disconnect switch to exit the MH when parked on our street so the steps do not extend into the curb.
Well I forgot once and freaked when I opened the door... jammed again. I closed the door and heard the steps retract....! Well, it turns out that when it does jam, the controller senses it and powers down the motor, close the door and it will retract.
As there is no power switch to the steps (I have to hit the chassis battery switch), I installed a wire disconnect in the magnetic switch circuit by the door. Anytime I think of going near our street, I disconnect the wire. I may have to hop in and out a few times w/o the step before I get home, but I am not trusting my memory to do it when I arrive at home.