Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Still fighting water leak

I have been fighting a water leak in my 2018 Miramar for some time now. I have had it back to the dealer twice now and it still leaks. I just took it back for the 3rd time and the dealer said it rained for two hours and they can't find the leak. They say there is nothing they can do since they can't make it leak. The problem is, it doesn't leak every time it rains. Plus, the leak is "delayed". We were at a RV park a couple of weeks ago for two nights. Both nights we had a heavy rain. The first night, no leak. The 2nd night, I didn't think it was leaking but when we got up to leave the next morning, the window was leaking. When it leaks, it always seem to be a delayed reaction. It's like is is weeping in slowly somewhere and then will finally start trickling down the window from the inside top of the window frame. There is nothing obvious on the outside that looks like it needs to be caulked or repaired. Also, it only seems to leak when the slide is extended. The window is on our dinette slide. The only time it has rained with the slide in is when we are driving and I haven't had an issue. I keep the motor home stored in an enclosed garage so it's only in the elements when the RV is in use. Any ideas on where to check for leaks? I have posted several pictures below.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well since the water intrusion looks like it is at the top of the window on the inside I would “think” you have at caulking seal leak along the top of the window somewhere. Since you have a delayed inside leak, probably the leak point outside is some distance away along the top outside caulking edge of the window trim. Also possibly it is more noticeable when the slide is out since the topper would redirect more rain water from the roof/topper down the outside of the coach and over the window. Likely more water than just rain running down the side of the coach. I have to wonder if the Dealer actually did anything other than spray water on the window? I would suggest re-caulking the top and sides of the window as a start......also make sure that any water already trapped on the inside window trim space is gone/dry so you don’t confuse old leak water (still seeping out) with a new leak after re-caulking.

Worst case you can remove the window and totally re-install the butyl seal tape around the perimeter; re-seat/install window and re-caulk. A video is attached that shows that process........but the install part starts about half way into the video.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I would do what Javelin said. Either put a bead of silone or the correct caulk over the top of the window frame or remove entire window and start from scratch.

All else fails look on line for leak detetion:
A few month ago MH magazine did a write up on leak detection. There is a company(S) the goes to the Dealerships and I think your home, they took up a pump with some smoke (no odor) and pressurize the RV and then all the of joints, window seals, door seals, vents, holes will leak smoke then they mark the spots for you to be repaired by your dealer (or yourself if you can).

Not sure how much that would cost but it could be an option if all else fails to seal the window.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We had a leak in our 35SF that the dealer looked for and could not find. They finally brought in a moisture meter and found the leak. Not sure what kind of meter but they did say one of their employees was a woodworker and had it to test the moisture of wood. Maybe something like that would help?
Old 08-06-2019, 10:47 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
We had a leak in our 35SF that the dealer looked for and could not find. They finally brought in a moisture meter and found the leak. Not sure what kind of meter but they did say one of their employees was a woodworker and had it to test the moisture of wood. Maybe something like that would help?
Perhaps if your RV was built on this sort of chassis: the moisture meter would work...
Seriously... I hope that you can find it soon. There's nothing more discouraging, than water where it's not supposed to be!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1565131597
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43632_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	19459  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:57 PM   #6

THOR #2020
They found the leak and repaired it. We have found one additional small leak. Could not get it in before warranty was set to expire so we called Thor and they are extending the warranty for this specific item.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:02 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Just for our edification -- was the leak at the window seal? Glad they found it and Thor approved the repair as a warranty item.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:18 AM   #8

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
I had a leak similar on my rear window ......resealed the window only to find out it was from the rear view camera and rear marker lights ... verify it's nothing above making its way down the wall framework to the window.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:13 AM   #9

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Just for our edification -- was the leak at the window seal? Glad they found it and Thor approved the repair as a warranty item.

We had leaks on both sides. Drivers side was caused by failure to seal the bracket for the slide topper. The passenger side was failure to seal the awning bracket. The drivers side was very bad when the MH was in storage because the topper formed a trough that channeled the water to the front and dumped it directly on the bracket. Awning side didtseem to have the same issue.