Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #15113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
I have had our Miramar back to the dealer 3 times for this water leak. They can't fix it and the last time said they couldn't even find the leak. We took a trip this weekend and, sure enough, it rained. When we got to the RV park, my wife stuck some thin cardboard between the slide ceiling and the valance cover over the blinds. It rained pretty good the first night. When we got up the next morning, she pulled out the cardboard and it was wet. Here are the before and after pictures.

Cardboard placement.

Next morning after the rain.

It's like the water slowly weeps into the corner. In the first picture, you can see the water stains on the valance so it's been leaking here for some time.

After awhile, the water gets into the top of the window frame and starts dripping on the inside of the window. In the following picture, you can see the blue tape on the window right below where the water is dripping from the frame. I also tapped a paper towel to the window to catch the water. You can see the brown stain from the water on the towel.

We kept putting more cardboard between the ceiling and valance to try and soak up the water. I have calked about everything I can outside and I can't figure out where the leak is coming from. Camping world supposedly took out each bolt that holds in the slide topper and caulked each bolt before they reinstalled the bolts. They also caulked around the window frame. I don't think the window is leaking as it doesn't seem to leak when the slide is retracted. Although the only time it has rained with the slide retracted is when the motorhome is being driven as the motorhome is stored in a garage when not in use.

I really need to get this fixed and I am starting to worry about long term water damage. If anyone has any ideas on how to repair this leak, please give me some advice as I am not taking it back to the dealer again.

I know that sometimes Thor reads these forums so if they have any advice, please contact me. I'm about at my wits end trying to get this fixed. I can't enjoy using the motor home since I am always worried about it raining.

Burch

Burch... try this...
put white paper towels in that corner

I would get blue food coloring ... and some of the rope caulking tape...
I would create little barriers with the caulking , to wet a zoned area, while keeping everything dry around it. ... and with either a spray bottle or whatever , saturate that zone .

I’m sure the dealer sprays everywhere , it can leak 2-3 feet oh more, or what looks like a tight slide out joint could allow water..,

You’ll find the area using this area.. it’s a slow process.. once you wet an area, and test fails... it will have to dry well before next test

Old 09-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #42

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Did you do this with the slide open, closed or bith ways?

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #43

THOR #15113
Does your slide have an awning cover over it?

I would do this with slide open ..
Are you able to get up and take photos?
My experience, these slides are made with interior OSB wood that crumbles when wet so any trapped water inside a wall isn’t good. You didn’t say, or I don’t remember if you said if this is warranty work?
Old 09-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #44

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Did you do this with the slide open, closed or bith ways?

It only leaks when the slide is open. No leak when closed.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #45

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetmkr View Post
Does your slide have an awning cover over it?

I would do this with slide open ..
Are you able to get up and take photos?
My experience, these slides are made with interior OSB wood that crumbles when wet so any trapped water inside a wall isn’t good. You didn’t say, or I don’t remember if you said if this is warranty work?

The slide does have a slide topper/awning over it. That's what makes it hard to seal as the topper is in the way. I could only calk the seam on the outside of the slide roof about 2-3" on each side. Even though there is a slide awning, water still gets on the top of the slide roof and it puddles on slide roof near the outside seam. I believe that might be where it is coming in since it didn't leak near as bad this last rain after I calked as far as I could reach under the topper.

I found a local RV service center that will take off the topper and seal the entire length of the seam on the slide roof. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

I do worry about water damage from this leak but the good thing is the motorhome is stored indoors so the only time it gets wet is when we are using it.

Burch
Old 09-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #46

THOR #15113
Is it highly probable the awning channel which is attached close to roof lines was installed dry, with no caulking.... so when water runs off roof , it runs behind your awning.. hence the water on top of your slide.
My MH has been stored inside from day one ... used 8 times but I’ve found a little unnecessary wood damage . Tap on perimeter of that corner , under the slide.. see what you got.. if it’s all solid...
mine wasn’t, hence my aggravation and rant on another post ..
Old 09-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #47

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetmkr View Post
Is it highly probable the awning channel which is attached close to roof lines was installed dry, with no caulking.... so when water runs off roof , it runs behind your awning.. hence the water on top of your slide.
My MH has been stored inside from day one ... used 8 times but I’ve found a little unnecessary wood damage . Tap on perimeter of that corner , under the slide.. see what you got.. if it’s all solid...
mine wasn’t, hence my aggravation and rant on another post ..

I haven't noticed any soft spots so far. I have knocked on the area around the leak and it's still solid. But if this continues, I am sure I will have issues.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #48

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Yes indeed, we have a full wall slide with the awning covers on all slides, Palazzo 36.1 2018.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #49
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Traveled in driving rain and leaked agin. Only seems to be when closed. Ugh...
Old 09-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #50

Model: HURRICANE 35C
THOR #16807
Where are you located in Florida?

North Brevard RV in Mims, Fl has a vacuum machine that detects leaks. Worth a try if you are still having a problem.

Bob
Old 09-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #51

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Where are you located in Florida?

North Brevard RV in Mims, Fl has a vacuum machine that detects leaks. Worth a try if you are still having a problem.

Bob

I live in Palmetto which is about 40 miles south of Tampa.

I am taking the motor home to a local dealer tomorrow. I am going to have them remove the slide topper and seal the outside seam across the entire length of the slide roof. If that doesn't fix it, I give up. Not worth the stress anymore.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #52

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
I live in Palmetto which is about 40 miles south of Tampa.

I am taking the motor home to a local dealer tomorrow. I am going to have them remove the slide topper and seal the outside seam across the entire length of the slide roof. If that doesn't fix it, I give up. Not worth the stress anymore.

Best approach! This should take care of it. there's a "bead" of white tape they run across that area...I would just tell them to completely remove it, clean the surface and replace it. You'll spend as much or more paying them to "try finding the leak". I'd bet a hundred dollars against a stale doughnut with a bite out of it...this is the problem area!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #53

THOR #6451
I dropped off the Miramar yesterday afternoon at a local RV service center. It's only about a 25 minute drive from our storage garage. It's a small family owned business. I told them about the leak and showed them where it was coming in on the inside. They asked if there was anything else we wanted them to look at. I have a problem with the door handle assembly moving sometimes when you open the door from the inside. They said they would look at it. My wife asked when they thought it would be done and the service rep said we will start on it right now! I was shocked! Every time I have taken the motor home to camping world, it has sat in the parking lot for at least two weeks before they even put it in a service bay. When we left, I could see our motorhome had been pulled into a service bay and they were already working on the door. Hopefully they can get the leak fixed and now it looks like I have a good local service center where I can take the motor home in the future and not have to wait a month to get it back.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #54

THOR #6451
I picked up the Miramar on Friday afternoon. The repair facility only had the motorhome for 2 days. When I have taken the motorohome to Camping World in the past, they never got the motorhome back to me in under 3 weeks!

The repair facility took off the awning topper and sealed the outside seam the length of the slide. They also found a screw/nail sticking through the top of the slide roof which they repaired. The cost was much less than I was expecting. I really hope the leak is fixed. I have a week long trip planned next month and I am actually hoping it will rain one day so I can see if the leak is repaired.

I was very happy with dealing with this RV service center.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #55
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to hear that they got right to it!
Not that we're hoping for bad weather; but we hope that you're soon able to see that their work solved your problem!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote