Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
I am going to give it one last shot. I have been fighting this leak for a year no...
Here's to hoping that you're successful!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1567786799
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drink to That.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	20090  

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I gonna take a WAG here. I would be looking at the RV side of the slide roof. Leaking some place at the coach and getting in the ceiling space and running out to the slide wall. I think if you put a level on the slide roof or slide ceiling that it has a slight drop to the outside edge.

That is actually the first thing Camping World tried. They caulked and tapped the entire length of RV side of the slide. Made no difference.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:02 AM   #23

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
See post #18 by Sweetbriar-- The "seal tech" is a good idea.
FWIW- I had a leak in the overhead bunk window on my Siesta. Used a leaf blower inside directed at the window from 2-3 ft away. Sprayed dish soap & water around frame, easy to find the leaks. Direct air into that corner where you have a leak and spray along the outside of the slide. From the amount of water it's a small leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov 9 3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	20099  
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #24

THOR #6451
I brought the motorhome to my house this weekend and calked every area I could see on top of the slide roof. I ended up taking down the valance and the blind on the inside. One of the screw holes near the corner was wet. I stuck a q-tip and paper towel in the hole and after an hour the towel was soaked. I changed out the q-tip and towel several times over the weekend and each time it was wet. I am concerned that there was so much water still in the ceiling. If my sealing doesn't fix the leak, I'm not sure what else to do but give up and get rid of it.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #25

State: Louisiana
THOR #16424
Slide roof leak

I had a leak in the rear driver side slide on my 2014 Tuscany 40RX that initially appeared to be a window leaking. The leak appeared primarily after a strong blowing rain. After several attempts at sealing the window unsuccessfully at dealer and factory service I had a different suspicion. I had a wider strip of “EternaBond “ tape placed over the factory installed tape at the inner and outer edge of the slide roof. This has solved my particular leak issue.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #26

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
How long after it starts raining b4 the wetness appears?

I had a 37 ft 5th wheel that leaked in a similar place, which was about midship. Turned out the leak was coming from the front, where the roof joined the front cap. It took awhile in a good rain b4 it showed.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #27

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Blower door test with bubble soap works every time.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #28
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Our thor freedom elite 30fe leaks but only once in a while. We've had it looked at and they said there was some space in the rubber. Hadn't happened after that till we were traveling in a driving rain. Been told by others it happens on occasion as the rain slips in as you travel and the rig moves. Just going to keep an eye on it.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #29

State: Iowa
THOR #9915
Another possibility . . . I had a leak around the slide out on my Gemini. Started after we had traveled well over 10,000 miles. Got on a ladder and examined the compression seal at the corner, it was very badly fit! I compressed the corner with a s all bard and could see right through between the seal and slide out. A bit of closed cell weatherproofing foam at both upper corners has almost completely stopped the leak.
It is frustrating when you report a problem to a dealer and after a couple weeks they call and say they can't find the problem. For me it worked, I won't go back to RVone, for anything!
Old 09-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #30

Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: North Carolina
THOR #16500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I agree...that's why I suggested using the sticky food wrap stuff to start wrapping different areas along the "tri-corner" area. It's hard to inspect the seam where the slide top meets the slide side as long as the topper is attached...could be along that seam close to the front corner. Not much else it could be. Unless someone has removed the topper and inspected that seam underneath it, it's a very hard area to gain access to.
We had a similar problem with repeated slide leaks on our 37.4 It wasn't until the dealer totally removed the topper and replaced all the flashing tape were they adle to get it sealed. Then of course the next time it rained one of the other slides started leaking... oh the RV life.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #31

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5919
With slide retracted look on inside above water leak the rubber roof on slide out has a metal screw down seal. I sealed mine with the 4 “ roof repair tape and no more leak. Mine was leaking in middle where the 2 pieces of metal came together.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I wonder if the OP has made any more progress on this problem?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:38 PM   #33

THOR #14072
Water leak in slide

I have a 2018 Miramar 35.2 and water leaks and comes under bedroom slide. Used a roll of paper towels to mop up. It has been in camping world for 5 months and now they claim it is fixed. If not I will be looking for a lawyer. Bob. 2522024013
Old 09-15-2019, 03:47 AM   #34

State: Montana
THOR #4727
Leaks

Only one leak?! I have had ten different leaks, interior and exterior two of which resulted in damage to back wall (ladder screw leak) the second resulting in rot in the floor by the bed. Both slides leak, one when it is in and the other when it is out. I appreciate the thoughts on how to figure out where they originate! Purchased with 2000 miles as a used vehicle so no warranty, it's all mine to fix! ACE 30.1
Old 09-16-2019, 12:32 AM   #35

State: Illinois
THOR #12676
Awesome

I have had the same problem on my 2019 Thor 30FE Leaking rear slide had it to CW 3 times they thought they had it fixed and Kaboom leaks again did my own look see and found a seam not properly tapped so I purchased a wider seal bond tape and repaired it my self was happy until the next rain and Kaboom water again was getting ready to call Thor as suggested but thought I would give the leaf blower trick as suggested post #23 above. And I am very hopeful I did find several places where leaks was. Mine was the metal frame that the wiper seals attach to was leaking between the outer wall and the metal frame. and a 1/4 inch gap in the corner where the top wiper seal and the side wiper seal meet. Re-caulked the frame ad filled in the gaps on both corners and cant wait till tomorrow to retest. Thanks Hooligan2 for the suggestion.. It worked for me!!!!
Old 09-16-2019, 01:38 AM   #36

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #13712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Barber View Post
Blower door test with bubble soap works every time.
What is the blower soap test and how does one perform it?

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:16 AM   #37

THOR #12676
What I did was removed the topper and set it on top of the roof, closed the slide had wife inside with a small cordless dewalt leaf blower while I was outside with soapy water in a spray bottle and sprayed the area where the slide seals against coach while she was inside directing the blower where it seals on the inside. Pay particular attention to the corners. if you have a leak it will bubble up. It is an awesome test wish I done it sooner. good luck...
Old 09-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #38

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
I used an electric leaf blower on low setting about 2-3 feet from seals/corners inside. Spray soapy water along seams and openings outside.
One caution, don't go right up against seal inside -you can force air past the seal and get false leak.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #39

THOR #6451
We took the motorhome out for a weekend trip. It rained pretty good Saturday night and we still have the leak. However, it didn't leak as bad as it has in the past. There looks to be a piece of tape the length of the slide on the outside edge. There is a small gap between the outside slide wall and the tape. I calked as far as I could reach on each end of the slide.

After the rain stopped on Saturday night, I got my ladder and looked at the top of the slide. There was a small amount of water puddled on the top of the slide roof. The water extended just past where I calked the seam.

I need to take off the slide topper and calk the entire seam. Has anyone taken off a slide topper before? I have to remove it to get to the seam. The slide is about 12-13' long.

Burch
Old 09-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #40

THOR #12676
Metalgator, Yes I just did it on my 2019 30FE, you have to be very careful, you could lose some fingers if not careful. Not to push you aside, but there is a good youtube video that you can follow just to a search on replacing topper material. If not I can write up exact instructions..