Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2020, 02:49 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #8849
Honda's seem to the converter of the week two more stolen in Kingston last night....two block away.
R

Old 11-21-2020, 04:14 AM   #42

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
And the heck of it is that even if they catch the bad guys they seem to be back out on the street again in no time. Can’t let it get to you though. It’s just life. Some days are better than others.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #43

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Sad state of affairs but not new. In the early years I had owned several convertibles, From 47 Chevy to 65 Caddy. Always told never lock the doors and don't leave anything valuable in sight. Actually only lost an 8 track player.
(But that does not mean you have to take it well.)
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:31 PM   #44

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I had a call from the manager of my storage yard this afternoon to let me know that my catalytic converter (along with most of the others on the lot) was stolen sometime in the last week or so. Argh! Fortunately nothing else seems to have been bothered. Replacement looks straightforward enough but it looks like a new converter from Ford for my 2019 F53 is about $1100. Yikes! I see universal models for under $200 and model specific aftermarket in the $4-500 range. Also need the O2 sensor of course. The selection is pretty vast. Has anybody done this repair and able to offer a specific replacement or a good vendor? My insurance deductible is $500 so I’m not sure it’s worth submitting a claim. Police said there have been dozens of reports in the last several weeks. Argh, again!
When I saw this topic I did a double-take. We just discovered 3 days ago that our catalytic converter had been stolen. There were some other MHs at the storage lot that also had theirs stolen.

We haven't taken ours in yet as we are waiting for a call back from our insurance, but the shop we would take it to said it could cost anywhere from $3,000-$7,000 to fix depending on which of three converters was needed and how much additional damage was done in the process. Of course, a part of that quote would be the labor charge.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #45
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear that you also got clipped...
Old 11-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #46

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
Yes. Time to move.
My son’s was stolen from his driveway in an upscale neighborhood. It takes about 5 minutes.

Police caught them eventually but insurance claims they get paid first if any money recovered (unlikely). His replacement was about $3,000.

There was a billboard offering to buy them. Police squelched that.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:46 PM   #47

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Fight back...

https://getcatsecurity.com/?gclid=EA...SAAEgLP1fD_BwE

You may have to call them to see if they have something that fits your RV.

When I am at home Smith and Wesson protect my RV 24/7.
You are awake 24/7?
Old 11-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #48
Luc

State: Quebec
THOR #3731
Same in Québec
Old 11-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #49
z28

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #9536
After 46 years in the automotive repair business, I can tell you a couple of things about aftermarket catalytic. First the sound level will increase with a less restrictive and cheaply made part. Secondly you will more than likely experience check engine light coming on with various oxygen sensor codes. This is because the converter will not run as efficiently as a factory part. I understand the predicament you are in, however get yourself a factory part ordered as soon as possible to eliminate the problems you will begin to experience.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #50

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A half inch extension nozzle, on some gm vehicles it's actually a spark plug spacer, will move the oxygen sensor far enough back from the exhaust flow so as to counter the false sensor readings.
$12 sparkplug extension if you start throwing codes and care about such a code.
I wouldn't care if it didn't affect my gas mileage.
And if it did affect my gas mileage the THREE THOUSAND DOLLAR cost differential will sure go a long way against losing a tenth of an mpg.

Some of us have been overcoming things like this for almost a lifetime.
But
I'd check with your local smog enforcement to ensure an aftermarket is acceptable.
I would not take the cat makers word for it.

No smog in our county.
No windshield needed.
No sound ordinance I know of
Hand signals still legal for turn and stop.
So I'm unawares of the workings of a smog/safety inspection.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:28 PM   #51

THOR #2228
Ft Walton Bch. Fl. 100.00 a month gated with cameras asphalt lot. Wow.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #52

State: Ontario
THOR #15013
I’m from Canada and worked as an auto appraiser and had many of these claims. By the time you ad labour, the O2 sensor, the part itself plus if the adjacent exhaust parts have been damaged then you may want to consider an insurance claim. This type of claim is normally classed as a “comprehensive” loss and unless you have many comp claims it should not affect your premiums. ALSO, if your vehicle is still under warranty which it most likely is based on the year, I would keep with an OEM part as it could void the warranty if you have exhaust/engine issues in the future. Just my thought!
Old 11-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Mine is stored at the dealership: 100 bucks for the entire off-season, and lots of security cameras.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:49 PM   #54

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatwate View Post
When I saw this topic I did a double-take. We just discovered 3 days ago that our catalytic converter had been stolen. There were some other MHs at the storage lot that also had theirs stolen.

We haven't taken ours in yet as we are waiting for a call back from our insurance, but the shop we would take it to said it could cost anywhere from $3,000-$7,000 to fix depending on which of three converters was needed and how much additional damage was done in the process. Of course, a part of that quote would be the labor charge.

My sympathies! Suggest taking your VIN to Ford parts counter and getting a price for the actual converter you need. Mine was $1700 including the O2 sensor that goes with it. My lowlife was relatively thoughtful and cut the converter out downstream of the head pipe so putting the new one in will be a simple matter of two bolts. If it had been cut ahead of the coupler it might require huge parts and labor all the way to both manifolds. If I had been able to find a quality aftermarket converter for under $1000 I’d probably have done the repair myself. As it is I’m expecting the bill to be in the $2000 range. We’ll have to see what the shop markup is though. Alas, the Ford parts still are back ordered. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #55

State: Arkansas
THOR #3799
Storage Responsibility

At the rates I'm seeing quoted for storage, is there not some responsibility for security on the facility's part? I've never used commercial storage, but it would seem that would be part of the deal.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #56

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvelosky View Post
At the rates I'm seeing quoted for storage, is there not some responsibility for security on the facility's part? I've never used commercial storage, but it would seem that would be part of the deal.

You’d think so. But the ones I’ve used are crystal clear that they have no responsibility whatsoever. It’s....vexing. My new place does, at least, have high walls, a single, well controlled gate and lots of cameras and signs advising same. It costs $140/mo with 50% off the first month and the 13th month free with a one year contract so maybe not too bad. You do the best you can and don’t suspend your insurance in the winter!!
Old 11-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #57
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
The car dealer I purchased many cars from finally ended the theft problems. It is called razor wire. Lots of it. It works well.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #58
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
The car dealer I purchased many cars from finally ended the theft problems. It is called razor wire. Lots of it. It works well.
It sure does make a statement...
Old 11-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #59

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Razor wire wouldn't slow down anyone but the first timer unexperienced dumb ones.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-18-Vo...id=12021806089
Mine was 44 bucks at home depot and almost silent.
They already own the Sawzall, they're 44 bucks from undefeatable.
This tool goes through chainlink like butter and the same for razor wire.

Losing a cat is like losing hubcaps in the fifties
It's just a thing.
I can't worry until it's gone, then I'll write the check.

Those of you having lost one, I'm sincerely sorry and would be pissed off a bit myself. Not so much the expense and the theft, but the down time and dealing with some shop telling me, without seeing the vehicle, it's up to $7,000. That's potential theft also. But that's a look you in the eye and steal from you instance....
Ripped off by an addict? Shit happens. Ripped off by a mechanic hoping I'm stupid?THAT'S something to be pissed about.

Those of you who haven' lost one:
There're 10,000,000 better things to worry about.
Don't let these stories affect your rv mental health.
And
If you do lose one, don't start the vehicle without a pretty good perusal underneath. A sliced, or even knicked wiring harness or fuel line and the ensuing fire will be your fault.
I'd look, and if unknowing or incapable, I'd have it towed to a shop.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #60

THOR #6826
The place that is going to do my replacement has had problems with customer’s coaches being vandalized and, of course they ARE responsible for that. Owner said he wanted to get a classic junkyard dog to patrol the lot at night but his insurance and lawyer said he couldn’t. Seems like a good plan to me!