Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #17811
very poetic: "the ire fired". I like it. Think I'll work it into a song lyric. thanks

Old 11-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #82

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Delaware
THOR #8127
We had our catalytic converter stolen in late August. It's stored at a lot with many other RV's. I filed a police report and brought it to a Ford Truck dealership repair shop (recommended by our RV repair shop) in mid September. They finally called and said it was done! 9 weeks they couldn't find a cat. converter anywhere. They called a few weeks ago and found one, but they had to charge me more. What started out at about $2100, now will cost $2900! Insurance paid for initial and I will go back to them and try to get remainder.
To say how upset I have been about all this isn't even the start of it. We missed out on camping for all fall too. For some lowlife to get about $100 for scrap of it. I know there is a supply chain issue. Doesn't make it better. The police did catch someone cutting cats in a parking lot not far from us. Hopefully, it was this guy that got ours. Throw the book at them!
I've debated where to store our RV this point forward. All RV lots in the area are open like a store and lock place. They can get to it almost anywhere if they wanted. We've kept our RV at the same place for well over 10 years without incident. Sign of the times? 2020? There are no indoor facilities anywhere near us and HOA won't let us keep it at house.
In any event, I ordered a catstrap and cateye to attach to the RV to at least make it harder. We'll see how that goes when it comes in. A cat cage didn't seem to be as secure when they can cut beyond it. I'm also going to move the RV closer to the lot owners house as well.
Here's to a better 2021!
Old 11-29-2020, 10:25 PM   #83

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #7689
Unhappy Mine too!

Here in Spring Hill, TN, 20 minutes from Nashville.

Mine along with 20 plus were stolen the weekend before Thanksgiving and its been reported also in Franklin, TN and in Indiana. I'm getting mine fixed next week but I'm worried its going to happen again!!
Old 11-29-2020, 10:29 PM   #84
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm starting to think that lowering the RV down closer to the ground; is making a lot of sense.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #85

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
It seems like most if not all of those reporting a Catalytic Converter theft was at a Storage Facility for RVs? Is this true yes or no?

Anyone ever had one stolen at RV Park / Campground, while traveling or at their storage at Home?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:52 PM   #86

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I just snapped a few pictures. Can someone confirm exactly what is being stolen. I assume they don't bother the Muffler or are they taking both Muffler & Catalytic Converter?

Is the Catalytic converter in the top picture where it is standalone and easy cut off front and back? I assume the Muffler is the last piece that vents outs through exhaust pipe.

I may have to start parking with a Rubber Snake draped across the ground and Catalytic Converter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201129_174057.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	27407   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201129_173958.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	27408  

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:21 AM   #87

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Exclamation

Top pic is the money.... Catalytic Converter.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:08 AM   #88

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
From post on IRV-2 also discussed on Sprinter forum. Becoming a common problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	27423  
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:55 AM   #89

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by werbrichfamily View Post
We had our catalytic converter stolen in late August. It's stored at a lot with many other RV's. I filed a police report and brought it to a Ford Truck dealership repair shop (recommended by our RV repair shop) in mid September. They finally called and said it was done! 9 weeks they couldn't find a cat. converter anywhere. They called a few weeks ago and found one, but they had to charge me more. What started out at about $2100, now will cost $2900! Insurance paid for initial and I will go back to them and try to get remainder.

To say how upset I have been about all this isn't even the start of it. We missed out on camping for all fall too. For some lowlife to get about $100 for scrap of it. I know there is a supply chain issue. Doesn't make it better. The police did catch someone cutting cats in a parking lot not far from us. Hopefully, it was this guy that got ours. Throw the book at them!

I've debated where to store our RV this point forward. All RV lots in the area are open like a store and lock place. They can get to it almost anywhere if they wanted. We've kept our RV at the same place for well over 10 years without incident. Sign of the times? 2020? There are no indoor facilities anywhere near us and HOA won't let us keep it at house.

In any event, I ordered a catstrap and cateye to attach to the RV to at least make it harder. We'll see how that goes when it comes in. A cat cage didn't seem to be as secure when they can cut beyond it. I'm also going to move the RV closer to the lot owners house as well.

Here's to a better 2021!

I’m sorry it happened to you too! It’s bad enough that it happens but having to wait maybe months because replacement are back ordered is REALLY frustrating! And of course it might happen again the day after it’s repaired.

I looked up the Catstrap and it does seem like a better attempt than a cage. But it looks like it just attaches with metal zip ties. Doesn’t that defeat the whole thing?
Old 12-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #90

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Last night on the Springfield news they finally caught one crook out of many steeling catalytic converters. Had a rash of around 30 plus over the weekend so ruined many folks holidays.

If we don't get tougher on this kind of behavior it isn't going to stop
Old 01-08-2021, 12:56 AM   #91

THOR #6826
OP closing the loop....two months later I finally tracked down the correct OE Ford replacement converter in stock somewhere. Had to drive 50 miles to get it! Ford is still back ordered with estimated availability now of Feb 8. But it’s been extended twice since I got in line. Replacement is simple enough but the cost will be right at $2,000. Snow bird trip to Texas is saved!!!
Old 01-08-2021, 02:08 AM   #92
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Wow! I can't believe that it's taken this long.
Glad that your trip has been saved.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #93

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
That was a long time to wait. You would think Ford had a supply at the manufacturing plant.

Paul
Old 01-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #94
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
What if Ford's supply plan simply involves "repatriating" catalytic converters sitting unused on RVs that are in storage lots??
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #95

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Are there not aftermarket cats available anymore?
In the past I've had a couple pickups exhaust turned into dual exhaust with hi-flo cats on each side from my local exhaust shop. The entire custom dual exhaust job with chrome tips didn't cost $2000, more like $700-800 along with better sound, performance & fuel mileage.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:31 PM   #96

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
What if Ford's supply plan simply involves "repatriating" catalytic converters sitting unused on RVs that are in storage lots??

It’d be nice but apparently it just doesn’t work that way. The Ford dealers I’ve been haunting are nice as they can be and very sympathetic. Just can’t get them. They blame COVID and the holidays and note that it’s both unusual and probably temporary. It’s pretty easy to find “universal” converters from China. They run only about $300 but I have no idea how well they work and the install would have to be custom welded rather than simple bolt in. Since my coach is only a year old with barely 6000 miles I decided to stay with OE. I’m going to add a product called Catstrap to try to reduce the odds of another theft although I don’t actually have much confidence that it will be effective. Try to hang on to your converters all!
Old 01-08-2021, 08:47 PM   #97
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: it's worth the extra money to keep the important stuff OEM.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #98

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Hi Pete'sMH

I just looked up catstrap that you mentioned. Looks like a good idea and easy install.

Paul
Old 01-09-2021, 07:32 PM   #99

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Hi Pete'sMH

I just looked up catstrap that you mentioned. Looks like a good idea and easy install.

Paul

Yes, though the narrowly focused motion detector/alarm actually might be more useful than the strap. Depends on the thief’s choice of tools. The strap might be effective against a battery powered reciprocating saw but won’t slow down a cutoff wheel much. Gotta try though!
Old 01-09-2021, 09:03 PM   #100

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
It seems like most if not all of those reporting a Catalytic Converter theft was at a Storage Facility for RVs? Is this true yes or no?

Anyone ever had one stolen at RV Park / Campground, while traveling or at their storage at Home?
NEVER< got too many guns on board for that to happen!!!