Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2021, 09:06 PM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
NEVER< got too many guns on board for that to happen!!!
I wonder if you could just put a straight piece of pipe in and clamp it til you get a converter. Will that hurt anything??? Bob

Old 01-09-2021, 10:24 PM   #102

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Stolen catalytic converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I wonder if you could just put a straight piece of pipe in and clamp it til you get a converter. Will that hurt anything??? Bob

It’d run and drive though you’d have a check engine light on all the time since there is an O2 sensor in the converter. I ended up driving mine about 30 miles with just the open down pipe while relocating to a more secure storage facility and bringing it home to fix it. Sure is loud! Even knowing that it would be I jumped about a foot every time it started lol.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #103

Model: 29M
State: Ohio
THOR #21318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I’m sorry it happened to you too! It’s bad enough that it happens but having to wait maybe months because replacement are back ordered is REALLY frustrating! And of course it might happen again the day after it’s repaired.

I looked up the Catstrap and it does seem like a better attempt than a cage. But it looks like it just attaches with metal zip ties. Doesn’t that defeat the whole thing?
I think the zip ties are just to secure the wire rope from rattling. The clamps tighten down with "thief proof" bolts so the entire assembly doesn't move. At least that's my hope.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #104

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKen2 View Post
I think the zip ties are just to secure the wire rope from rattling. The clamps tighten down with "thief proof" bolts so the entire assembly doesn't move. At least that's my hope.

On the Catstrap it comes with a heat activated glue that is supposed to permanently bond to the exhaust system and they also recommend using exhaust clamps instead of just the metal zip ties that hold it in place while the glue bonds. If the thief has to unbolt or cut a half dozen clamps perhaps she’ll be discouraged enough to move on. It’s all sort of iffy and optimistic that anything will help. To me, at this point, it’s worth a try.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:29 PM   #105

Model: 29M
State: Ohio
THOR #21318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
On the Catstrap it comes with a heat activated glue that is supposed to permanently bond to the exhaust system and they also recommend using exhaust clamps instead of just the metal zip ties that hold it in place while the glue bonds. If the thief has to unbolt or cut a half dozen clamps perhaps she’ll be discouraged enough to move on. It’s all sort of iffy and optimistic that anything will help. To me, at this point, it’s worth a try.
Thanks for the info on the Catstrap. I had been looking at the CatClamp but the Catstrap with the CatEye motion detection may be a better set up. Looks lots easier to install too.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:22 AM   #106

Model: Chateau 23U
State: North Carolina
THOR #18547
Here's an article that is in today's Boston Globe online site:

https://www.boston.com/cars/crime/20...nverter-thefts

This problem is not going away soon.

I am now sleeping under my rv.
Charlotte, NC
JGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:43 AM   #107

THOR #6826
Oh goody! It was a MAJOR pain and the only thing I’m glad for is that mine got got in November instead of April or May. Hopefully the manufacturers will do better keeping replacements in stock going forward. It’s still expensive but at least you won’t be off the road for three months waiting.