Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2023, 11:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #29191
Storage Compartment Keys Stolen

Hello friends! I have a 2014 Thor Siesta SR and it was broken into in my storage lot this week. They took my spare keys, including the keys to the outside compartments, which are all still locked (so, I'm hoping they weren't ransacked too).

A locksmith quoted me $400 to make a new key. However, I hear stories that most of these keys are the same/similar. I can't find any reference to the key codes in my manual or online.

Any other Thor Siesta owners out there who can give me a hint as to where to look for these keys?

Thank you!

Old 03-10-2023, 12:50 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #20184
The most common for RV storage compartments is a CH751. You can buy them on Amazon
Old 03-10-2023, 12:53 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
If they stole your spare set then I would guess that you still have your first set.

See what number is stamped into the key and then check Amazon for replacements.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:00 AM   #4

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
Cal Etrailer, they can get you the key you need. But you will need the key number.

Good luck
Old 03-10-2023, 01:57 AM   #5

THOR #29191
I don't have any keys to the compartments so I can't look at the number on them or get one copied.. if I did, I wouldn't be posting here.

Is there anyone out there with the same kind of locks who could post a picture of their key? It's a Thor Siesta 2014.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:09 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinFirepixie View Post
I don't have any keys to the compartments so I can't look at the number on them or get one copied.. if I did, I wouldn't be posting here.

Is there anyone out there with the same kind of locks who could post a picture of their key? It's a Thor Siesta 2014.
Is it a barrel lock or slam shut compartment door lock?

The most common barrel lock, I believe, was a CH 751. Find another RV’er with the same style lock and ask to try their key.

https://www.amazon.com/ch751-key/s?k=ch751+key
Old 03-10-2023, 02:09 AM   #7

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
If you have a lock smith near by, you could take it to them, probably take them only 5-min.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:58 AM   #8

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
The OP stated, "A locksmith quoted me $400 to make a new key."
So for a 5 min job, he would probably make $4800/hr!
Old 03-10-2023, 03:04 AM   #9

Model: AXIS 25.3
THOR #20631
Storage Compartment Keys Stolen

Or he’s just putting a 11,400% markup on the keys he gets from eTrailer. 2 for less than $7 for the CH 751.

Could be a G391. I’ve had both on different rvs.
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:00 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Making this too hard. Just drive up to local nearby dealer and they will have a key to open and then can tell you what key to buy.

Except for the ignition keys, they basically have all of the compartment keys lying around, you may buy a new vehicle and not notice that any given compartment key may already have some wear.

FWIW, we keep 3 full sets, except for the ignition key, we ordered them all off ebay. Good thing too, because once we could not open outside TV compartment, I was about to have the lock replaced and I noticed the key when we bought new was worn. The replacement keys work with no issues, so we bought another replacement key.

If I recall, the ebay seller we bought our keys from verified for us the keys he would send would work based on VIN #. Not sure how that works but the keys all fit.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:42 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds Siesta 24 SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #13919
Keys

I sent you a PM
Hary
Old 03-10-2023, 12:28 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
You can buy all the keys, including the door and deadbolt off Amazon or eBay. Usually you have to verify the door/desdbolt numbers.

Tuscany has electronic compartment locks. However, a backup key is inside and another in the safe place

Like others i have 3 sets, and always entry door keys in case the batteries die or digital lock fails

Would be very aggravating to be broken into, especially if the coach is damaged

A few years ago we had mail stolen twice, including credit cards. Lady was caught however they didn't prosecute her as i wss the only victim willing to testify and they wanted 5

Since that time we have locking mail boxes and also use post office boxes, plus simply use the USPS only as needed

Not a lot you can do when your situation is like the OP's

We do use Ring and Eufy recording cameras and flood lights on all properties plus alarms. Very cheap deterrent in the bigger scheme of things.

Also have motion lighting plus other light sources.

Police blotters are full of theft and burglary in most areas.

Until we prosecute criminals, this issue isn't getting better
Old 03-10-2023, 04:09 PM   #13

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
I bought extra keys from Amazon and ebay. Usually the key code is on the key and lock. Hopefully the op got his problem solved

I have 4 sets of keys for mh and 2 for the jeep. 1 set of jeep is kept in the mh. One set mh keys each for wife and i, 1 set hidden in the mh and the last set in the jeep. I don't have any keys hidden outside the mh yet.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:45 AM   #14

Model: Four Winds Siesta 24 SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #13919
don't you just love it when someone asks a question and a lot of us give our thoughts and they don' t come back to let us know if they got the problem solved,
Harry
Old 03-12-2023, 01:35 PM   #15

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTh View Post
don't you just love it when someone asks a question and a lot of us give our thoughts and they don' t come back to let us know if they got the problem solved,
Harry
My thought a typical drive-by. Also if spares were stolen that means the main keys are somewhere. At least for me it is. Since OP wanted to get snippy with a responder I won't offer any advice.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 01:43 PM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Not just a drive-by. He took his football (picture) with him.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 01:59 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTh View Post
Harry
I think the thinking is that we are all heavily paid for our 24/7 responses. When we get our checks from EA37TS and the ACE; it will not bother so much. I believe the prevailing forum rate is $50/post, $100 for PM, and $200/thank you received (less $500 for each forum violation)

In the meantime; while we wait on our money... it is good time to share that in the future we should NOT need any keys. While, I have not set mine up fully, my SUV has a My Key feature and I can start my car with phone or by using combinations codes on the vehicle. It still has the FOBs, and they can be programmed to limit what the person in possession of a certain FOB may do. And of course if a thief tries to steal, it is connected to Internet while power is on or driving; and it has a active GPS for tracking. They could lead the authorities right to where all of the stolen property is.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 03-12-2023, 02:07 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I think the thinking is that we are all heavily paid for our 24/7 responses. When we get our checks from EA37TS and the ACE; it will not bother so much. I believe the prevailing forum rate is $50/post, $100 for PM, and $200/thank you received (less $500 for each forum violation)

In the meantime; while we wait on our money... it is good time to share that in the future we should NOT need any keys. While, I have not set mine up fully, my SUV has a My Key feature and I can start my car with phone or by using combinations codes on the vehicle. It still has the FOBs, and they can be programmed to limit what the person in possession of a certain FOB may do. And of course if a thief tries to steal, it is connected to Internet while power is on or driving; and it has a active GPS for tracking. They could lead the authorities right to where all of the stolen property is.

As soon as I get my annual bonus the checks will be in the mail.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:25 PM   #19

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

Mine isn't quite so high-tech. It's a sniper in a tree 50 yards away.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:34 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Mine isn't quite so high-tech. It's a sniper in a tree 50 yards away.
Isn't 50 yards kind of a long way to be chest thumping the 10 Commandments? Oh well if you can get thou thieves to not steal; to be honorable, and return or not take the stolen property; you don't need the aforementioned technology

Tags
compartment, key, lost, replacement, siesta