Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2023, 04:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #31490
Electric Stabilizers on Axis/Vegas

Has anyone added electric stabilizers to their Axis after delivery. Is the wiring in place under the coach to connect to the control panel?

Old 12-24-2023, 12:26 PM   #2

State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Do you mean hydraulic jacks? There is no factory wiring to support this.

David
Old 12-24-2023, 12:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
Has anyone added electric stabilizers to their Axis after delivery. Is the wiring in place under the coach to connect to the control panel?
No there is no factory wiring. To my knowledge Thor doesn’t install electric stabilizers on any E Series based Motorhome. It’s either manual stabilizers or factory installed hydraulic.
Old 12-24-2023, 02:14 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
No there is no factory wiring. To my knowledge Thor doesn’t install electric stabilizers on any E Series based Motorhome. It’s either manual stabilizers or factory installed hydraulic.
Not true. And I have the electric stabilizer jacks taken off my E-350 24F class C to prove it. They're manufactured by MORryde.

The setup consists of a steel bar with an electric scissor jack mounted near each end. The entire assembly is bolted to the frame roughly halfway between the rear axle and rear end of the frame rails.

Each jack has it's own motor. Wiring is ran under the frame and enters the coach from the battery bay under the entry steps to rocker switches - which are mounted on the side of the cabinet in the doorway.

If I remember correctly, fused power was wired directly to the under-steps battery.

I removed mine last year because they were just excess weight. I had Big Foot hydraulic leveling jacks installed a couple years ago.

The assembly is in storage taking up space... just waiting for a new owner!
Old 12-24-2023, 02:51 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Not true. And I have the electric stabilizer jacks taken off my E-350 24F class C to prove it. They're manufactured by MORryde.

The setup consists of a steel bar with an electric scissor jack mounted near each end. The entire assembly is bolted to the frame roughly halfway between the rear axle and rear end of the frame rails.

Each jack has it's own motor. Wiring is ran under the frame and enters the coach from the battery bay under the entry steps to rocker switches - which are mounted on the side of the cabinet in the doorway.

If I remember correctly, fused power was wired directly to the under-steps battery.

I removed mine last year because they were just excess weight. I had Big Foot hydraulic leveling jacks installed a couple years ago.

The assembly is in storage taking up space... just waiting for a new owner!
Like I said “ to my knowledge”

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-24-2023, 03:36 PM   #6

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Like I said “ to my knowledge”

Thanks for the info.
No problem. For me, it's a wasted day if I don't learn something!

The "key words" are waiting for a new owner.
Old 12-25-2023, 03:00 PM   #7

State: South Carolina
THOR #31490
OK, I guess I mean hydraulic stabilizing jacks. My 24.1 does not have them. The control panel shows controls for the stabilizers. Can I get them installed now?
Old 12-25-2023, 03:28 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
OK, I guess I mean hydraulic stabilizing jacks. My 24.1 does not have them. The control panel shows controls for the stabilizers. Can I get them installed now?
Looking at the brochure electric stabilizers are an option. Download your electrical diagrams and then crawl under your rig to see if the harness connections are there.

Or, you can take it to your selling dealer to se if they can install the optional jacks.

Most folks have installed after market leveling systems such as big foot.
Old 12-25-2023, 03:33 PM   #9

State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Ok, I think that there are two types of “stabilizers” for RVs. The first type, rightly called stabilizers have a leg that is pushed down by an electric motor. They are not designed to take the full weight and lift thr RV, just to keep it from moving up and down on the suspension when you move around inside, ie stabilize it. Here is one example:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Stabi...B&gad_source=1

The other type has a heavy hydraulic system powered by a central electric pump. Hydraulic lines go to each lift cylinder on the four corners. These are designed to fully lift the RV off of the ground, but that isn’t a good idea because then the RV will be teetering on four points. One or two wheels off of the ground is ok. Here is one manufacturer’s system:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Ford-...B&gad_source=1

Even though there may be a place on your control panel for the electric stabilizers I don’t think there is factory wiring to each corner. My 2021 Axis doesn’t have it. And since you want the hydraulic type, that is controlled by a panel supplied by the jack manufacturer. The hydraulic pump does need to be wired to a heavy circuit, but I am sure that Thor doesn’t supply that from the factory. Mine doesn’t have it.

So to wrap up this lengthy post, buy a hydraulic jack system. Bigfoot’s Platinum is a good one. And either install it yourself or hire someone to do it for you.

David
Old 12-25-2023, 06:18 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.3
State: Alabama
THOR #25790
Ditto; I ordered my Vegas with the same electric stabilizers. They are only designed to stabilize the coach, not to lift it off the ground. ��
Old 12-25-2023, 09:36 PM   #11

THOR #16721
My Chateau 24F came with electric stab jacks standard. Every new 2020 class C we looked at had those.

For comparison, stabilizer "jacks" are scissor style. They are NOT designed to level or lift the motorhome in any way. Installed on opposite sides of the coach, when extended to firm ground contact, they work in pairs to help eliminate the natural suspension movement - which you DON'T want when camping.

The same scissor style stabilizers are installed on nearly every towable camper. Some are manually operated using a drill, while others have integrated electric motors.

In contrast, motorhomes use HYDRAULIC jacks for LEVELING... and leveling by nature will stabilize. Electric "jacks" are NOT designed for leveling a heavy motorhome. Although a small degree of leveling can be attained using electric stabilizer jacks, there is a high risk of damage to them attempting to lift a coach for leveling.

Bottom line... If you want just want "stabilizing" to minimize the rocking motions, ELECTRIC stabilizer jacks are the answer

If you want "leveling" (which ALSO stabilizes) to LEVEL the motorhome, you need HYDRAULIC jacks.

Hydraulic jacks are always going to be quite a bit more expensive, and more involved installation.