Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #1
GWS
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
Posts: 2
THOR #10426
Storage Door Replacement

I damaged my left storage door. I ordered a replacement and it is a complete unit with frame. I can't figure out how to get the existing frame removed. I removed the screws, drilled out the fasteners. It is in solid so I assume its secured with silicone. I don't want to damage the body work. Any ideas to get the old frame out? Heat gun?

__________________
GWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Popfla's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
Posts: 670
THOR #14543
Rather than risk damage, can you use the existing frame and the new door, or is the existing frame damaged also?
__________________
Ed
Some Other Brand w/2020 Jeep Gladiator Toad
Living The Dream in "God's Waiting Room"
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 21,736
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Rather than risk damage, can you use the existing frame and the new door, or is the existing frame damaged also?
This would also have been my best guess...
Good luck!
__________________
"What: me worry?"
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 1,644
THOR #11781
I'm not following you. If you have a new door, why not remove the old door at the hinges and install the new door?
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:27 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Popfla's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
Posts: 670
THOR #14543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I'm not following you. If you have a new door, why not remove the old door at the hinges and install the new door?
That's what I was getting at. Unless the old frame is FUBAR, just pop the new door onto the existing frame.
__________________
Ed
Some Other Brand w/2020 Jeep Gladiator Toad
Living The Dream in "God's Waiting Room"
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:47 AM   #6
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
Posts: 37
THOR #22279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
That's what I was getting at. Unless the old frame is FUBAR, just pop the new door onto the existing frame.
Hi-jacking!

I'm in same situation. Have new door in hand. The opening still has the old frame part attached (riveted??).
The new door AND frame are riveted together at the hinge.
Ideally, I have to figure out out to get the old frame out, so new unit can go in. But, then the next question is how to secure frame into/onto body.
__________________
wfrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:50 AM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
Posts: 37
THOR #22279
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS View Post
I damaged my left storage door. I ordered a replacement and it is a complete unit with frame. I can't figure out how to get the existing frame removed. I removed the screws, drilled out the fasteners. It is in solid so I assume its secured with silicone. I don't want to damage the body work. Any ideas to get the old frame out? Heat gun?
GWS -
Did you ever find a solution? Im in same situation, new door hinge is riveted its frame.
Old frame is somehow affixed to surround of the opening.
__________________
wfrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:36 AM   #8
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
Posts: 37
THOR #22279
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrauch View Post
GWS -
Did you ever find a solution? Im in same situation, new door hinge is riveted its frame.
Old frame is somehow affixed to surround of the opening.
In my case, I did not see the screws partially hidden by foam insulation and an aluminum ridge. Can't believe I missed them earlier.
__________________
wfrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Model: Newmar Bay Star Sport 300
State: Alabama
Posts: 4,194
THOR #6826
Rivets are not forever fasteners either. If the new door will fit in he old frame just drill out the hinge rivets and use new pop rivets to install. Cheap, quick and easy. If the old frame is undamaged and not leaking it might be preferable to not disturb it.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
Posts: 1,958
THOR #13362
Yes
Drill-out the rivets and either re-rivet or use a flat head stainless screw to re-fasten
__________________
'17 Vegas 24.1
Fallbrook, CA
taylorbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #11
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
Posts: 37
THOR #22279
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Yes
Drill-out the rivets and either re-rivet or use a flat head stainless screw to re-fasten
Thanks Taylorbob and Pete -
The mounting screws for the frame came out clean and easy, new door and frame are back in, frame was siliconed, self-tapping screws worked great.
Thanks for the assist.

Cheers!
__________________
wfrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2