Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #1

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Store switch

In what position should the store switch in TV setting in driveway plugged in to house power.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31A
State: Texas
THOR #1743
Use, the store does not allow the batteries to charge.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 35.1
THOR #368
Leave the battery switch on if you want them to charge when plugged in. Make sure you check the water level in those batteries every month or so. Letting the water level get down to the plates will ruin them and they are very costly.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Bosty, I think you may have helped me out as well. I have my Hurricane plugged into 110 AC with xantrex 1800 inverter switched OFF and the battery switch in STORE position. The house batteries are brand new and test OK but keep discharging. If I am interpreting what you are saying I should have the Battery switch in the USE position? Should the Inverter be left ON or OFF?
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #5

THOR #368
If you are plugged in you can turn the inverter off, but leave the battery switch on. I understand your previous problems as I experienced the same dilemma, and had discharged batteries too in my previous RV which was a Thor Four Winds Super C with the same set up you have.

You see, when you are plugged into 110v you no longer need the inverter on because you are running 110v through the system just as if you were plugged in at a campsite. There is no need for the inverter being on in that situation. The battery charger is running on 110v and now charging your house batteries. You can verify this by pushing the button on your panel that indicates your battery condition. The fourth light indicating charging should be lit now. Just make sure you don't run any high power appliances in that situation while you are plugged in with a simple 15A extension cord or it might pop the GFI or breaker.

If you follow this procedure you should be fine unless your house batteries have been discharged so many times they may need replacement. That's what happened to me until someone set me straight. It's too bad they don't explain this in the owners manual.

One more thing, this will have no affect on your engine batteries. They are only charged when the engine is started. So if you have a switch for them, you can leave it off. Live and learn my friend....
Old 01-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

THOR #368
One more thing Brakeman48. If your batteries are ruined, and less than a year old, they should be under warranty. They didn't put the greatest batteries in my Four Winds, but they were replaced under warranty with name brands.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #7

THOR #3227
Bosty, thank you! Now I better understand the system. And, your right about the owners manual could have explained this... And many other things for a newbie. I recharged the batteries with my portable battery charger and they check out OK. Now I have the battery switch on USE even though in my mind I am STORING the MH. It is definetly a Live and Learn experience so far. Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2016, 12:42 AM   #8

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Don't think of the switch as using or storing. Just remember the switch has to be in USE to charge the batteries from the converter. Also remember when connected to shore power, the AC power is being converted into DC in the converter to charge the house batteries.

When storing the coach, AND NOT PLUGGED IN TO SHORE POWER, the switch should be in STORE. And also remember, even in STORE there will still be a minor drain on the house batteries.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:44 AM   #9

State: West Virginia
THOR #2027
I have a 16 Thor ace. After I hit the store switch, I have to crank the engine and hit "use" and wait about 20 seconds before the power will restore. Why do I have to crank the engine?
Old 01-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onroadagain View Post
I have a 16 Thor ace. After I hit the store switch, I have to crank the engine and hit "use" and wait about 20 seconds before the power will restore. Why do I have to crank the engine?
The only reason I can think of is the house batteries are dead and are not being charged until after the isolator time delay allows the alternator to charge them.

Other than that scenario I cannot think of a reason why you would have to crank the engine to get power to the house.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:16 AM   #11

State: West Virginia
THOR #2027
That's a good thought. Thanks. But my register says my batteries are fully charged. Weird.
Thanks.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #12

THOR #3227
Thanks to all that responded to my post. I think I have the USE/ STORE switch straight in my head now.