Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Stranded in Wisconsin

Miserable trip, could write paragraphs, but the biggest issue right now is I am stranded in Wisconsin. My 2022 Thor Magnitude RB34 (F550 chassis) had a power train failure on July 4th while I was driving down 90 W merging into traffic after filling up with diesel. It went into neutral, no crawl mode just neutral, every light on the dashboard lit up, and it came to a stop blocking the entire roadway. I was pulling a tow vehicle and couldn’t make it to the shoulder. Anyone ever block an interstate, not pretty. Needless to say law enforcement was not happy. Exact words “We are not going to duck (not exact word) around waiting for roadside assistance” first words said. So they called the tow, guess who had to pay holiday rate on a tow. Get it towed to nearest Ford, they looked at it thought they found the fix (complete chassis fuse box and wiring harness replacement). Fix completed 4 days later, immediately got back on the road, 8 miles from dealership on I90 same thing. Glass half full, knew what was happening so this time I was able to get into the emergency lane and not block traffic. 3 hrs later towed back to Ford dealership, and since it’s going into the weekend they can’t work on it until Monday.

Any suggestions what is causing this issue. We are on our first ever official trip since buying the unit last year. Been an adventure.

williamprunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:41 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
WOW...worst nightmare anyone can imagine. Did they dealership do the work under warranty? Definitely a Ford issue, not Thor, unless it has to do with something (lockout) Thor tied into the chassis. Can you stay in it for the weekend or are you totally "homeless"?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:05 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
You situation has always been my biggest RV fear. I have had breakdowns that were easy fixes, couple of hours, but never a large failure. I feel for you. Let us know the outcome.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:11 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Man... that just sucks! I have almost 20,000 miles on my 2020 Magnitude SV34 (2019 F-550 Chassis) and have not had any chassis issues.... knock on wood!

I did just read about an issue with F-150 transmissions erroneously kicking out an error code for a low transmission fluid pressure problem and it may cause the transmission to unexpectedly shift into neutral.

I would work with Ford to see if they will help reimburse you for some of your expenses. I have to think you have relatively low mileage and still under the 3-Year / 36,000 Mile Warranty.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:30 PM   #5

THOR #2531
Lodging

Not homeless, staying in a hotel, of course at our cost. One problem after another, now we have a slide failure. Goes out about 4” in front but the backside not moving. Oh did I mention our right rear jack bent when using auto retract, so no jacks either.

Update on chassis, not getting warm and fuzzy: they stated exact same failure as before (fuse box failure). Fix: exact same fix. So how many feel confident in that one.

It is being covered under warranty but I am terrified I am going to have a repeat, and I can only imagine going over some of this mountain passes and have this happen, no drifting over to the emergency lane in that situation. Dead stop in lane. Won’t be able to backup or roll back with tow. Could you imagine trying to disconnect a tow on a grade in traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0561DC83-FC0D-4D51-9A31-4782E2526F28.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	38574  
Old 07-08-2022, 08:45 PM   #6

THOR #12751
First things first……

I would contact Ford directly and explain the situation. Tell them the concerns you expressed and ask if they have any additional support they can provide the dealer given the dealer did not fix it the first time.

Myself and others have experience with the slide so we can offer advice when the time comes. But you might still be under warranty and want the dealer to handle it.

The jack probably bent when leveling the coach. Likely not on a level place on the ground for the foot. But admittedly it is a heavy coach and it should have more robust jacks. That jack will need to be replaced.

Not a good start for your first major trip. Hang in there!
Old 07-08-2022, 08:47 PM   #7

THOR #2531
Initial part of trip

Made it to Nebraska and gad awning issues, closest place we could get into was camping world in Roscoe, IL. After going down road some miles refrigerator started falling out, then when we tried to hookup our tow vehicle no lights. Camping World squeezed us in on the the 4th. Fixed those three Coach issues because they were safety issues. Made it about 1 1/2 hours and then had power train failure. Awning: 6 bolts had come out, refrigerator: never attached to retaining brackets, no lights on tow: wire harness never hooked up to connector on Coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7C4B348B-DAA0-4E7D-B658-ECFB8A667A34.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	38575  
Old 07-08-2022, 08:54 PM   #8

THOR #2531
From the day I bought I felt the jacks were not large enough. They are 8k jacks, and you would think 4 jacks total 32K but unfortunately weight distribution doesn’t work that way since at any given time there may be only 1 8k jack making contact with the ground in the auto mode.

Slide and jack is suppose to be addressed at camping world. I am hoping it goes smooth. When I called Lippert yesterday they stated they only had two jacks available. First come first served, and they couldn’t cover the warranty due to contract with Thor. Thor has to initiate the warranty process.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:01 PM   #9

THOR #12751
I do feel for you and empathize with your current situation.

Thor quality control and workmanship is non-existent. I had plenty of similar issues with my '20 Magnitude SV34. I did a very long and thorough PDI and had the dealer fix many things before I signed the paperwork but there is a lot of stuff you can't see until you peel back he onion and start using the coach.

I'll first offer a disclaimer... your power train issue is on Ford and not Thor. I also think it is rare to hear of major F-550 chassis issues. Your's is really the first I have heard about other than a few minor Ford issues.

But a major chassis issues like yours can and will happen as rare as they are. Macdaddy is a member here and he had a V10 motor blow on his Class A with only a few thousand miles on it. Ford took care of him and he has been humming along ever since.

The gorillas that assemble the units at the Thor plants use their screw guns and impact wrenches on the maximum setting so more than 50% of the bolts and screws end up getting stripped during assembly. I'd bet the house that's what happened to your awning and fridge.

My refrigerator was poorly mounted too. They stripped out the metal screws in the top of the fridge (the metal roof of the fridge is very thin) so the screws wouldn't bite and the bottom brackets were incorrectly installed as well. I ended up putting RivNuts in the top of the fridge roof so I could uses threaded screws and lock washers on the top mount and then I redid the bottom mounts as well. Now my fridge is rock solid.

Thor also undersizes their chassis to save money. The Omni / Magnitudes should have been on the F-600 Chassis from the beginning and they should be used heavier jacks as well.

I have spent countless man-hours and probably $20K in repairs, modifications and upgrades to get my SV34 where I felt it should have been from the factory. It shouldn't have to be that way for a coach that costs 1/4 million bucks but that's the RV industry. I would have gladly paid $20K more if it was right from day one.

Last October I spent $2500 to have the crappy Schwintek Slide Mechanism replaced with the Vroom Slide System because the Schwintek Slide Mechanism is a terrible design and will not reliably support a heavy full-wall slide. The Schwintek Mechanism will eventually fail in 80%+ of full-wall slides.... IMHO.

We are ultimately to blame because we buy their substandard products over and over again. We don't boycott the RV industry and hold them accountable so they improve their manufacturing standards.

So what's that mean for you? You basically have the following choices:

- You take it in stride and you spend the time and effort (plus the money unfortunately) to get the coach where you think it should be.

- You complain to Thor and the dealer to make it right. I personally would bypass the dealer and contact Thor Warranty Service and request them to schedule all your repairs (except the Ford chassis) in the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa. I never trust any dealer to repair things properly and why I do most repairs myself. I have been to the Thor Factory Service Center twice for major repairs.... including the dreaded front cap attachment repair.... which will undoubtedly happen to you coach at some point. The quality and workmanship is much better at the Service Center than the factory floor and they have direct access to parts... assuming they are in stock. All they work on is Thor products and they know all the weaknesses and how to make things better. The problem is they are likely booked out several months.... but I would trust them (or myself) before any dealer.

- You cut your losses and sell or trade-in the coach as soon as you can. You will take a hit but it may be less of a hit in the long run both financially and emotionally. I know a few Omni / Magnitude owners who dumped their coaches within months of purchase because they were fed up.... and it's not just the Omni / Magnitude with problems.

I had a great boss once and he had a saying that I think sums up your situation perfectly.

You can stay and like...

You can stay and don't like....

Or there's the door!

Unfortunately, that's the harsh reality.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:39 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I would:
Get rolling under warranty
Then
I'd forsake the warranty for the fridge and stuff
And
I'd find a good reliable handyman who we as a forum can walk through the major upgrades and real fixes(like Judges nutserts and my metal bins).

That is all that can get you happy.

The ham fisted Thor guys are solely matched by the transient know-little can't learn of the general cw workforce.

Limp home.
We'll help you get it right.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:45 PM   #11

THOR #2531
Rv Quality

We already are paying for a quality job. $250,000 unit should come with that. Rv will have problems, but this has hit ridiculous. By the way my cap separated the 2nd day after leaving the dealership heading to Thor factory service for the multitude of issues already needing fixed I picked up at the dealership they couldn’t resolve. I went directly to Thor service from Florida.

In regards to the chassis, I was advised they are having more and more issues with electronic components failing repeatedly. Some of the components have been on a “stop” order because of failure. It’s today world, unfortunately. When I was told to scrub the bathroom with a toothbrush it sparkled when I was done.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:46 PM   #12

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
From the day I bought I felt the jacks were not large enough. They are 8k jacks, and you would think 4 jacks total 32K but unfortunately weight distribution doesn’t work that way since at any given time there may be only 1 8k jack making contact with the ground in the auto mode.

Slide and jack is suppose to be addressed at camping world. I am hoping it goes smooth. When I called Lippert yesterday they stated they only had two jacks available. First come first served, and they couldn’t cover the warranty due to contract with Thor. Thor has to initiate the warranty process.
I'm sorry for your loss, I know how it sounds but they have children working there in Roscoe, and usually can't fix anything except a fuse, sorry they can't fix anything. I really hope they can fix it and you can be on your way. There is a motel on rt 75 by the tollway just south on the left. Finnegans rv on the right, they have been in business forever. In Rockford there is Collier's rv off harrison they also carry Thor and have been in business forever
Old 07-08-2022, 11:47 PM   #13

THOR #2531
Duckface, I would love to limp home, but when the power train fails it won’t even limp.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:51 PM   #14

THOR #2531
CW Roscoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I'm sorry for your loss, I know how it sounds but they have children working there in Roscoe, and usually can't fix anything except a fuse, sorry they can't fix anything. I really hope they can fix it and you can be on your way. There is a motel on rt 75 by the tollway just south on the left. Finnegans rv on the right, they have been in business forever. In Rockford there is Collier's rv off harrison they also carry Thor and have been in business forever
They actually got me back on the road and they were the only Rv service willing to squeeze me on warranty repairs. Things just keep happening . Running out of toes and fingers to
Plug the holes in the dam.

By the way I love Finnigans, they got me out of more than one jamb on my previous units.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:07 AM   #15

THOR #20274
Quote:
They actually got me back on the road and they were the only Rv service willing to squeeze me on warranty repairs. Things just keep happening . Running out of toes and fingers to
Plug the holes in the dam.

By the way I love Finnigans, they got me out of more than one jamb on my previous units.
I'm glad your on your way, safe travels
Old 07-09-2022, 12:17 AM   #16

THOR #2531
Still stranded

I’m still stranded with the power train failure
Old 07-09-2022, 12:27 AM   #17

THOR #20274
I can't imagine
Old 07-09-2022, 01:23 AM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I’m still stranded with the power train failure
Welcome to the club. Three DEF breakdowns last year with one tow. First breakdown we boondocked in the Freightliner dealer’s lot. Last two dealers would not allow it. Total of 11 nights in hotels. Luck would have it I’m lifetime Titanium Elite and Diamond at Marriott and Hilton respectively.

I posted a thread titled “Are you ready for a mechanical breakdown.”
Old 07-09-2022, 01:52 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
To the OP, get your coach as operable as you can and then get rid of it. This kind of crap on a $250,000 coach is unacceptable. If I was you, I would park it for sale with a big yellow lemon sticker on it right in front of the factory. Or go easy on Thor and trade it in for a Winnebago.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:20 AM   #20

THOR #12751
Quote:
In regards to the chassis, I was advised they are having more and more issues with electronic components failing repeatedly. Some of the components have been on a “stop” order because of failure. It’s today world, unfortunately. When I was told to scrub the bathroom with a toothbrush it sparkled when I was done.
You make a good point......

I have read that in several industries they are changing things on the factory floor to accommodate "substitute" parts. This is happening in the RV industry but also the auto industry.

Ford and GM are either shipping vehicles and telling dealers and customers certain features won't be available upon delivery or they are building them as far as they can and storing them in fields... buildings.... parking lots.

I had to replace my truck unexpectedly back in January. My choice was a certified pre-owned 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 with 30K miles... built before the major parts shortages and with all its published features. Or I could purchase a 2022 GMC Sierra SLT for the exact same price that was built but didn't have some of the published features. They also couldn't tell me if it would be 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months until it would show up at the dealer because they can't find truck drivers to make the deliveries.

I don't think I'd be purchasing anything new right now that was built in late 2021 through the next couple years.

I purchased a $2800 fridge last year and have had 4 service calls for 4 different issues and while waiting for the latest repairs I found water all over the kitchen floor. The water valve for the ice maker and water dispenser cracked and according to the website its back-ordered for a month. It takes 1 - 2 months to get the tech here. Then they carry no parts and all the parts are backordered for a month or more. Between the parts failures and time it takes to get parts and a service tech, I have been trying to get them to replace the fridge but they won't.

Tags
power train, thor