Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Strange Happening

Yesterday was sitting in the unit during a rain storm, with the AC on. All of a sudden we started to hear what sounded like the clicking of the propane auto pilot trying to lite. After following the clicking found it to be coming from the
furnace. I unscrewed the face plate and unplugged the wires, sound stopped, but then so did the AC. I plug wires back and AC went on but no clicking.

Has anyone had this happen to them, and if so did you find a reason or was it just a hiccup

Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
By chance do you have the outside furnace cover made with the louvers upside down? Many others have commented on how the upside down louvers allow the rain to get on the electronics and cause problems. If this is your case I don’t remember what the solution is but hopefully someone who does know will chime in.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
You can get the clicking noise if you have your Propane OFF & your Water Heater is set to GAS.

That happened to me once.

In order to use Propane the next time, I had to light the stove for a few minutes to clear all the air out of the lines before the Refrigerator and Water Heater would auto light properly.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Yes I have had the problem. Cause is the circuit board on the furnace got wet. The outside cover access to the furnace where it meets the skin is the culprit for a very small leak. It accumulates and then drips on the board. Since your 12v to the thermostat flows first to your furnace then to the thermostat, you loose 12v to the thermostat and then the a/c will not operate, nor will your furnace. Solution is to run a bead of non silicone sealer across the top of the furnace cover where it meets the outside skin. Problem solved.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #5

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
When our circuit board kept getting wet (I had already resealed it) I contacted the company and they said they had a relocation kit. If it is still under their 2year warranty then it is free and you will get a new circuit board with it. On our ACE it remounted so the board is upside down and at a angle so if is does get wet the water will run off it. You will have to have your service department call them to get it if it is still under warranty.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Thanks everyone, I would have never thought about the circuit board getting wet. Looks like a project when I get home.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #7

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Yep been there done that. On my ACE the city water connection is above the furnace access cover. Sometimes the hose connection will drip down the side and across the cover. Or rain of course does too. My furnace was doing the clicking stuff.
I opened it up and found the little slide out circuit board soaking wet and it had funk growing underneath it too. I slid it out and I gave it a shower with WD40, which will displace the water (old distributor cap remedy). I wiped it off and blew it off with an air hose. Good as new. Looks like they could have made it waterproof by immersing the board in epoxy or something like that. Just leaving the connectors sticking out.