Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2022, 04:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #19355
Strange Water Problem on Hurricane 34F

So I hook up city water and water only comes out of Hot water side of faucets. No flow on cold faucets or toilet. IF i turn on 12volt pump I get full flow in cold lines. I find it strange that city water will flow through water heater but not straight to cold faucets??? Any info or ideas would be appreciated.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:59 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by eparra View Post
So I hook up city water and water only comes out of Hot water side of faucets. No flow on cold faucets or toilet. IF i turn on 12volt pump I get full flow in cold lines. I find it strange that city water will flow through water heater but not straight to cold faucets??? Any info or ideas would be appreciated.
I’m stumped but I’m sure someone has an answer.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:19 AM   #3

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
What is the year of your coach. The valve system could be defective. Can you provide pictures of valve panel.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
That is a stumper since the water heater is fed from the cold water header which is fed from both the water pump and city water connection. Shouldn't be any valves that would cause this.

EDIT: Maybe a low point drain valve left open? Any water leaking below the coach?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 02:34 PM   #5

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
Strange Water Problem on Hurricane 34F

City water check valve on coach or bad pressure regulator hooked up outside or kinked water hose connected to coach. If you started with a full water heater you will get hot water flow for a short period of time with no cold water input.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:32 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
The OP advised that with city water pressure only (12vdc water pump off I assume) he got hot water flow through taps etc without issue......so that should indicate his connected city water hose, valve etc is also fine. It would help to know how the plumbing lines were actually physically run and connected.......for example, if the city water line is T’d with one output of the T to the hot water tank and the other T output port going to the cold water lines of the coach (water pump output).......then if there was a blockage between the city water T and the pump output line, that would allow hot water flow on city, but no cold water flow on city. The OP advised that cold water in the coach works fine on 12vdc water pump, but the question is, does the hot water flow properly when on water pump only? A complete blockage of a water line seems very unusual ( a lot of plastic debris maybe?).......it would be more likely a pinched line (or valve turned off) in an appropriate water line location. I am wondering if a slide positioning change may also be involved (pinched line) in this issue somehow.......or some other recent coach changes? A good head scratcher for sure.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:10 PM   #7

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by eparra View Post
Did this just start (worked good before) or is this the first time you connected up the 'city water'?
When using the pump, is there H2O in the fresh water tank?
Old 06-01-2022, 02:36 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #19355
Sorry for late reply's but I found the problem. After physically tracing the water line here is what I found. The water line comes in on the slide out on the driver's side. It goes towards the back to the water heater which is under the wardrobe cabinet. Just before the water heater the line has a T which sends water to the outside shower (cold water worked there), the water heater (worked fine) and a line that goes through a hole under the sofa on the slide out across to the passenger side of the camper (as does the hot water line also from the water heater). Under the couch where the water lines go down under the floor, there is also a drain pipe for the washing machine (which was added prior to my purchase) and the drain line was sitting on top of the cold water hose pinching it. I guess with the summer heat, the line got soft enough to allow the weight of the drain pipe to smash it down. Turned out to be an easy fix just took a little effort. Thanks for the replies.
Forgot to mention, the electric pump is on the passenger side and ties in to the water line on the passenger side so it was allowing the water from the potable water tank to get to the sink, toilet, etc.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:29 AM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Wow. Thanks for coming back and letting us know.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:41 PM   #10

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Glad you returned to tell how you solved the issues
Old 06-09-2022, 08:58 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Thanks for the update. We sometimes forget to post the solution.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote