Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2019, 03:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
Unhappy Strange GFCI Problem

This one has me scratching my head. We have a GFCI protected circuit that powers a couple of kitchen outlets with the GFCI outlet in the bathroom. On our last trip the GFCI outlet would not reset and the kitchen outlets were dead. This happens on both shore and generator power. I started by replacing it (the GFCI outlet) and it seemed to solve the problem for about a week.

Suddenly the problem is back, the GFCI outlet won't reset, there is no power to the circuit and both Lippert controllers (for front bunk and slide-out) are flashing a code 9 indicating ground fault error.

The over cab bunk and the full slide-out work just fine but they seem to be recognizing the ground fault causing the GFCI to trip.

Any thoughts on the trouble shooting steps I should undertake here?

Old 06-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Had trouble with mine tripping couple of years ago. Found moisture in the outside receptacle.
Kill all the power and measure resistance between the ground and neutral wires, should be no reading.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
On my 2013 all the wires in the electrical distribution panel were loose. The earth ground fell out of my kitchen circuit.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:02 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yep, I would say that the symptoms are indicative of the 'loose' wire syndrome, either in the GFCI main outlet itself, one of the downstream outlets, are more probably the individual BREAKER in the Main Panel... tightening the breaker's screw is the easiest to start with, without any inverter, shore, or generator power, of course.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:47 PM   #5

THOR #14595
Thanks for the replies everyone, I will try all of those approaches. Is it normal for those ground faults to show up on the Lippert displays?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:04 AM   #6

THOR #14595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
Had trouble with mine tripping couple of years ago. Found moisture in the outside receptacle.
Kill all the power and measure resistance between the ground and neutral wires, should be no reading.
Do I need to disconnect the batteries or am I good to just turn off the inverter and be unplugged from shore?
Old 06-07-2019, 01:47 AM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandsmith View Post
Do I need to disconnect the batteries or am I good to just turn off the inverter and be unplugged from shore?
No need to turn off the battery.
this is a 120 volt problem. The GFI needs power to reset. Again the GFI needs power to reset. So that should narrow down your search for the problem. it's a loose wire between the Circuit breaker controlling the GFI and the GFI it'self. Check the connections in the breaker panel. GFI outlet controls any outlet within 6' of a water supply.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:35 AM   #8

THOR #14595
I removed the cover for the outside outlet and released a bunch of water from the electrical box. Turns out the cover has a generous gasket where it meets the wall of the RV that prevents water intrusion but the actual flip-up covers don't have gaskets. Their design allows water easily into the outlet and the box where it can pool. I'm replacing the Thor installed covers with some marine grade covers that will prevent this. Problem solved!
Old 06-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
Looks like Trkyte was first across the line.

IslandSmith, thanks for letting us know.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #10

THOR #14595
I don't want to start a new thread but thought I'd let people know the outdoor outlet covers Thor provides are pretty much useless. The gasket on the back is great but there are holes in the plastic covers that lead DIRECTLY into the outlet and box. There is no internal gasket or mechanism in place to stop the water from pooling in your junction box. The funny thing is these things are stamped that they are suitable for installation in wet areas.

The red arrows point to where water can easily penetrate the outlet covers.