Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2020, 01:52 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
If your "surge Protector" takes 2 minutes to turn on you have something far more sophisticated that just surge protection.

A surge protector is a totally passive device. Very simple. It only triggers on a over-voltage spike and only for the duration of the spike unless its huge like a lighting strike then it just smokes (along with everything else). In fact one of the problems with a simple surge detector it can go inoperative after many spikes and you will never know it.

Old 09-03-2020, 02:27 AM   #22

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
You need more than a surge protector, get an EMS instead, but they do cost more & take about 2 minutes to connect. It will protect from nearly all electrical issues other than a direct lightening strike.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:50 AM   #23

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koho Camper View Post
Question about surge protector and my new 2020 Thor Delano

On first trip in first campground I plugged in surge protector (SP) and RV electricity did not work. Removed SP and electricity worked. Next night in different campground tried to use the SP and again it did not work. I assumed I had a bad SP.

Got back from trip and ordered new and "better" (aka more $) SP. Have tried using the new SP on two different pedestals and also while connected to my home power and the result is the same - RV electricity does not work. Remove the SP and everything is fine. The new SP's display indicates it is working fine - no issues.

My questions - Has anyone had a similar problem? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this issue? I don't want to keep using my RV without a SP in place.

Thanks!
surge protector has a 120 sec time deley while it is thinking. The surge protector reading "no ground" was doing what it was designed to do. It did not blowing anything out.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #24

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
An EMS is the best way to go. I installed a Progressive Industries hardwired EMS-HW50C. I have it wired on the output of the transfer switch to also protect from any potential issues from the generator (I figure a transfer switch is much less expensive than an A/C or fridge of the generator every malfunctions).

I configured the EMS so it does not supply power to the coach for 136 seconds after it has verified the power coming into the coach is safe. This protects the A/C and refrigerator compressors from damage when power is rapidly cycling on and off.

I just experienced a situation where the EMS did its job very well. We were in Vermont a couple weeks ago and a storm kicked up just as we went to bed. The A/C's were running when the power went out and cycled quickly on and off 2 or 3 times before going out completely for about 2 hours.

The transfer switch is right under our bed and I could hear the relays buzzing and trying to engage as the power was cycling on and off and surging but the delay I have set prevented any of that bad power from entering the coach and causing damage. My EMS paid for itself that night.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #25

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I, too, have the Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS-30amp.
It does take a minute or two before it allows the electricity to run thru the system.
IIRC...it was about $225 (+ DIY install)
But well worth it for prevention.

Like the commercial says: “you can pay me now, or pay me later”
Old 09-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've got a hardwired OEM surge protector, and also use the Progressive EMS.
I'd rather stop the problem at the pedestal; than in my electrical bay...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #27

THOR #6513
My solution to electrical hookup s

Less expensive alternative to a EMS devices that I use.

No doubt they are very worthwhile devices, but very expensive. Do you have one on your house? No probably not. It would cost several thousand dollars and turn off the electricity when a fault occurs which most people would not find desirable.

Now what is the difference between your house service and your RV service? Well the main difference is one is permanently wired and the other plugs in and was used my a 1000 other people before you got there. Ah, there is the rub. That nasty dirty, seldom maintained PLUG!!

So allow me to give you my approach and thoughts. I've been RVing for 48 years and have had over 18 different RVs ( which of course make me an expert ). During that time I have never had a fault that damaged my RV. But that is not to say I have not encountered any problems because I have. My approach is to use a testing device to tell me about the service I'm connecting to and then I decide if I want to use it or or not.

I have one of these to test a service to see if there is a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Name:  circuit tester - 2.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  35.8 KB

Best $13 you will ever spend. I leave it plugged in permanently and check occasionally to be sure the voltage is OK.

You might say this is fine for a 30 amp service but what about a 50 Amp service? Well yes you would have to have 2 of them one on each leg of the 220 v service. But frankly electrically that is for the most part unnecessary since only looking at one leg tells you 90 % of what you need to know. Ground - neutral - reverse polarity - voltage.

Now a word of advice. ANYBODY can use one of above devices safely.

The Following surge protector (or EMS ) device assumes you are a knowledgeable individual and know how to safely open a panel and install this device. If not consult an electrician.

Now what about voltage spikes. Here is a simple device which you can install in your distribution panel. (This is something you should have in your house too and is affordable). They range from $35 and up. Lowe's, Home depot, or local electrical supply house will have many different types. It is a little box or breaker that monitors each leg of the line and when a voltage spike comes it triggers and absorbs the high voltage. (the following is just an example - not an endorsement - there are many types)

Click image for larger version

Name:	hard wired surge detector.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	25959

That's my 2 cents worth
Old 09-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
This is a good topic and one i have been thinking more about.
I have only been using the Camco PowerDefender Circuit Analyzer with Integrated Surge Protection and Indicator Lights - 30 Amp Male to 30 Amp Female (55310) at the pedestal for $60. I looked at the Progressive Industries HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired EMS-HW30C RV Surge & Electrical Protector and its $230. Why would i want to get the Progressive Industries over something like the Square D Homeline 50 KA Indoor Surge Protective Device $90 or a Siemens FS060 Protection Device Whole House Surge Protector where you wire those to your breaker panel $165? I have the Siemens one installed on my house and it works great. I am not sure what more protection you are getting with the Progressive Industries over the other options.
Thanks-
Old 09-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have a PI plug in version of the 50A EMS. The reason I will go with it over others is the lifetime warranty. I am on my third one, first two done in by flash flooding. The company replaced them at no cost to me. One email and they were in the mail. Can't beat them for customer service. The PI's have also saved my coach from terrible electric service at old broken down campgrounds. You plug the unit in, it checks out the service and displays the voltage and amperage and if all is good, clicks on after 120 seconds or so. I don't know about the other brands or cheaper ones from big box stores, but I will not leave home without my EMS from PI.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:30 PM   #30

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I have a PI plug in version of the 50A EMS. The reason I will go with it over others is the lifetime warranty. I am on my third one, first two done in by flash flooding. The company replaced them at no cost to me. One email and they were in the mail. Can't beat them for customer service. The PI's have also saved my coach from terrible electric service at old broken down campgrounds. You plug the unit in, it checks out the service and displays the voltage and amperage and if all is good, clicks on after 120 seconds or so. I don't know about the other brands or cheaper ones from big box stores, but I will not leave home without my EMS from PI.
The lifetime warranty by PI is the selling point for me
I’ve got the hardwired 30amp version
IIRC...I purchased from Amazon as an “open box” reduced price that was under $200
Old 09-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #31

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
The lifetime warranty by PI is the selling point for me
I’ve got the hardwired 30amp version
IIRC...I purchased from Amazon as an “open box” reduced price that was under $200

Curious. If it "clicks off" do you have an override? Ive wondered about the people who have not been able to get power using an EMS. If it is a post plugin type you have the option of not using it. A hardwired unit makes it more complicated.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:06 PM   #32

THOR #13362
Yes, there’s an over ride
It’s a switch on the remote display
Example, if there’s no ground on your 120v connection, the EMS switches off
And I have over-rode that by flicking the switch

(Granted, on that one occasion it was just for 15amp connection to keep battery charged and Fridge running... not for running the AirConditioner)
Old 09-04-2020, 10:08 PM   #33

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I have on every trip at the pedestal plug in surge guard. If by chance something happens and it allows the surge to go through into my coach, anything damaged will be repaired or replaced by the surge guard company free of cost to me. It was expensive at around $260.00 but worth the peace of mind. I do use a cable to secure it to the pedestal and plug to keep everyone honest in the campground(hopefully).

Paul
Old 09-07-2020, 08:12 PM   #34

Model: Delano
THOR #18975
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyBrum View Post
Koho Camper,
Did you wait about 2 minutes after connecting? Our SP takes a minute or two before the electric is turned on.

Kathy
All,

Thanks to the numerous replies to my question about a SP not working properly. If I wait ~1 minute after plugging in the SP to power there is an audible "click" and magically (aka by design...) my RV has power.

Really appreciate it, thanks for the help from all who replied.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:19 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I normally plug mine in, secure it to the pedestal with a chain and padlock, and then I run my cable out to it. That normally gives it the time it needs to get ready to Rock 'n Roll!
Old 09-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #36

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
All Surge Protectors run a scan every time it is plugged into the pedestal. Some take up to 2 minutes before allowing power to flow to the rv. It is a cycle they go through as a precaution.

Paul