Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #3766
Surge protector

I have a 2013 challenger. Does it have any kind of built-in surge protection? If not, what surge protector do you recommend?

Old 06-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I doubt any gas class A has one. I chose Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C with the remote monitor. It has a lifetime warranty. There is a portable version, also. I installed it myself and it has worked flawlessly. Two nights ago at the KOA in West Memphis it shut down power about 6 pm. Low voltage (PE-04) - 92 volts, We had to shut sown everything and check the line voltage - 113 volts. With only the front A/C on, we were able to keep the voltage at 108 volts. At about 9 pm the voltage at the pedestal had risen to 119 so we to run everything normally the rest of the night. So far no current surges or lightening strikes.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Doubt your Challenger has a surge protector. I have the same protector that Beau has, wired in permanently and has a digital readout. Worth every penny of protection it provides.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I went another route and bought the Hughes Autoformer RV220-50SP that is both a voltage booster is surge protector. A bit pricey, but I have been at way too many campgrounds with low voltage. It's not a permanent install, so I can move it on to the next motorhome. Here's a link with some information: https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...ter-and-surge/
Old 06-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #5

State: Louisiana
THOR #3766
Thanks you guys. Good information.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I doubt any gas class A has one. I chose Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C with the remote monitor. It has a lifetime warranty. There is a portable version, also. I installed it myself and it has worked flawlessly. Two nights ago at the KOA in West Memphis it shut down power about 6 pm. Low voltage (PE-04) - 92 volts, We had to shut sown everything and check the line voltage - 113 volts. With only the front A/C on, we were able to keep the voltage at 108 volts. At about 9 pm the voltage at the pedestal had risen to 119 so we to run everything normally the rest of the night. So far no current surges or lightening strikes.

Good t know
Old 06-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #7

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Had the Progressive hard wired into two of our fivers while full timing. Now with just using the RV part of the year we use the Progressive plug in style. It does the same thing for less money. Would never be without one.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
We have a progressive hardwired unit as well. Bought it on sale during there Black Friday sale.

KC