Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2015, 03:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Question Surge Protectors

I am new to this and have read several articles on the importance of a surge protector. I see prices rangeing from $70 to $400, good and bad reviews on all of them. What are the best brands/models? I have a 2016 Hurricane 35C so I think I need a 50 amp?

Old 12-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Here is the one that I use and so far it has served me well.

Portable Surge Guard Protectors, 50 amp - TRC 44270 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

When I bought mine in February I only paid 89.00 at my local RV dealer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Dakota
THOR #3001
Spend the money and get an Electrical Management System (EMS). While an electrical surge can ruin your day, you will encounter high voltage, low voltage, and Ground issues far more often and those problems can cause a lot of damage. Surge protectors only protect against electrical surges (usually lightening).

Figure on over $300. TRC and Progressive Industries are the main players in this market.

They can be wired into your coach with the advantage of a remote display someplace convenient inside.

Or you can get a portable unit that plugs into the power pole and then you RV power cord plugs into it. One advantage of a portable unit is that you check out power poles without moving the RV when you run into a bad one in a park.

Examples
Old 12-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
Surge Protection

Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C. This one does it all. High, Low, Spikes Etc.... Get the Permanent mounted one and you'll never lose it. 30-60 minutes to install, dependent on your knowledge. Progressive Industries stands behind their product and service is great. Compare the specs.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
I've had the progressive in every RV I've owned. Would not be without it. I have come across two campgrouds that had their elecric wired wrong, that is in 10 years, but none the less, it saved me. I have the hardwired EMS-HW50C. Go to their website and read about it.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:48 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Thanks to all for your info. I tend to "error on the side of caution" so I ordered the Progressive HW50C this evening at Amazon for $301. Progressive has a good installation video so I will install myself this weekend. Thanks again fellow RV'rs.