Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2022, 11:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
Exclamation Loose wires can start fires!

Over the past few days ago I've been using my tried-and-true 30-to-15 amp dogbone and a heavy gauge extension cord to intermittently provide shore power from one of my home's 15 amp GFCI-protected outdoor outlets to the 2019 Chateau 31W parked in my driveway. I noticed that the blue LED on the Chateau's Furrion 30 amp power inlet was no longer illuminating when I was connected to shore power. Also, when I manhandled the end of the 30 amp power cord where it was plugged into the power inlet to insure that it was securely connected, the GFCI on my home's outdoor outlet would sometimes trip. I assumed the Furrion must be on its way out and ordered a new one.

Here's where things got interesting...and downright frightening. Yesterday I went to remove the old power inlet to see if I could figure out what had gone wrong with it (and to facilitate installation of the new one once it arrived). I unscrewed it from the outside wall of the motorhome and then unscrewed the back of it to access the wiring. I was shocked (no pun intended) to discover that both the ground wire and hot wire screws were loose -- and in the case of the hot wire screw, really, REALLY loose. Boy, did that explain a lot. Without a solid connection between the power inlet's hot terminal and the hot wire, that connection could -- and almost certainly did -- get hot. And if enough current were being drawn for a long enough period of time...well, if you were trying to start a electrical fire, this would be a great way to do it.

Most of Thor's widely discussed quality control and assembly issues are annoyances varying in severity from major to minor. This one could have proven to be deadly.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #2

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Checking all electrical connections for loose wires is an annual maintenence item for me. Electric panel has torque settings. The vibrations and rough roads are not kind to our house in wheels.
TripleGGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:24 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Maine
THOR #27530
TripleGGG Other than the transfer switch manual, I haven't been able to find any torque specs for other electrical connections. Where did you find all of yours? Do you mind sharing a list of all of the connections you check each year? Thanks!
Old 10-07-2022, 01:11 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I've never seen an electrician carrying a torque wrench around with him. I've done nearly all my own electrical work on everything I own and never worried about proper torque of soft brass, copper and aluminum parts and pieces. Basically, tight is tight and loose is loose.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote