Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2022, 05:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
Tank level sensors not working right

2018 Compass 24tf. I suspected my tank level sensors were not working properly. So I used my garden hose and filled both tanks. The grey tank only read 33% and the black tank stayed at 0%. So a couple of questions: Will fresh water conduct if the sensors are electronic making this test useless? Also, is this worth getting looked at, or is the best avenue to flashlight the toilet to view the black tank level, and to just assume once the 1/3 mark is reached on grey water then it's time to look for a dump station? TIA for replies.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
This has been an RV issue for decades. Check your sensor wiring to make sure you don't have any loose ends. Most issues have the sensors reading higher than the actual level due to crap on the sensors. Otherwise, your alternate plan is what most do.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:08 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I've been able to coax mine back to life with a whole lot of dishwasher soap, and lots of ammonia...
But it is only a temporary solution.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:55 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I learned on my first camper back in 1981 that is was best to figure out how many days it took to fill the tanks and just ignore the monitors.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:13 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
My old Gulfstream we used to use flashlight to look into black tank. This one with a curbside toilet you can't see anything but a 3" PVC 45*. After a few trips we have learned it takes about 2 days to fill the black tank if you do all your business in the RV. With a curbside toilet we use close to 3 gallons of water for a #2 to keep from clogging the tank.
Off hookups to extend that time, when possible, we use campground facilities and save the black tank for night usage.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:49 PM   #6

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
This is our 1st season. We are trying the Calgon and Dawn fix, cure, hope, method.

Sorry for your woes, but also glad this topic is being posted.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #7

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
THOR #17969
Thanks all for the replies and advice. I pretty much thought I would read that the hassle isn’t really worth the effort other than to check wiring. I guess in this case, what Thor installed really wasn’t good for sh**. Lol!
Old 09-17-2022, 07:15 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edensob View Post
Thanks all for the replies and advice. I pretty much thought I would read that the hassle isn’t really worth the effort other than to check wiring. I guess in this case, what Thor installed really wasn’t good for sh**. Lol!
It’s not Thor. From multiple Facebook MH groups I can tell u there apparently is no manufacturer who has solved this problem.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:08 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edensob View Post
2018 Compass 24tf. I suspected my tank level sensors were not working properly. So I used my garden hose and filled both tanks. The grey tank only read 33% and the black tank stayed at 0%. So a couple of questions: Will fresh water conduct if the sensors are electronic making this test useless? Also, is this worth getting looked at, or is the best avenue to flashlight the toilet to view the black tank level, and to just assume once the 1/3 mark is reached on grey water then it's time to look for a dump station? TIA for replies.
Ha, Ha; THEY NEVER DO!!! Get A SEE LEVEL system
Old 09-18-2022, 12:31 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 30D
State: Texas
THOR #26083
Welcome to RVing !
Old 09-18-2022, 03:07 AM   #11
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Most experienced RVers know when the tanks are getting close to full. Never pay attention to them any more myself. If you are not sure, just dump gray every two days or after two long showers. Every four to five days for the black.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:38 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #17647
Tank Sensors

Also check continuity from the tank to the Control Panel. Mine did not work, the Dealer said they fixed them, did not, Thor sent someone out fix them. All they did was replace the sensors and they still did not work. So I started checking continuity of each wire and found that they were not properly seated into the wiring harness connector. Once I located and fix the wiring, they have worked ever sense. Yes, especially the black tank, you will TP hung up on the sensors and they will read different than they actually are. I have yet have anything hang up on the full sensor so I go by that mainly. When it is full it is time to dump! I hope this helps!