Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #21

Brand: DRV
Model: Full House JX450
State: Arkansas
THOR #17747
Tank sensors

Our previous rig was a 2016 Heartland model. We lived in it full time and since I always love a project, I was always doing mods. It treated us fairly well except for the blasted tank sensors. It had a black tank flush system and I added a flush system to the gray tank too. I tried everything to get the black sensors to read correctly, Geo Method, Digest It, etc. I had occasional success with filling & flushing five or six times but the sensors would soon read wrong again. I finally added the Horst Miracle Probes and they worked well for about a week but then they started reading wrong too. I still continued trying everything and anything I could think of but the sensors were never consistent.
We finally traded up this year to a 2020 Full House that has the See Level system and love it. The sensors are mounted on the outside of the tanks and have performed flawlessly for the six months we’ve owned the new trailer.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #22

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
LPG isn't calibrated yet but I love our new tank sensors. Garnet See Level with Bluetooth. Can't get image to attach.

Only dumped once our last trip when I probably would have dumped twice or three times assuming we were close to full.

How many people use additives with every tank versus just while in storage?
Just curious!
Have you compared the amount filling to the amount drained & compared to the the levels the sensors show? Such as, you put 20 gallons in your 40 gallon tank it reads 1/2, 10 gallon reads 1/4, then drained it reads 0.
Or because the sensor actually changes, unlike the originals, when filling/draining they are better not necessarily more accurate.
The reason for asking is that those that went to trouble & expense seem to say they work better than the originals, does that mean that they actually work, are very accurate or that it's just fun to be checked from your phone
I drained before relocating every time, not on quick overnighters, so draining a little or a lot was normal, never paid any attention to the sensors.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
Most probably do not have the fun Bluetooth feature yet [emoji3].

That is a good question. I'll try to test it out on the grey tank closer to our trip next month.

I would imagine the fresh water would be pretty accurate and uniform throughout due to the shape. However, it seems like the grey and black tanks are wedge shaped so that would probably affect the readings slightly?
Old 06-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #24

State: Florida
THOR #15668
Quote:
Originally Posted by donblanco View Post
So our new used rig shows the black tank to be 2/3 full even after visiting the dump station this morning and having it connected directly to a sewer drain in our current RV park. So other than ignoring it, what is the easiest way to remedy this situation?
If you have outside flush hookups, Try flushing /cleaning the tanks for 10 min. Sometimes toilet paper gets on the sensors
Old 06-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #25

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
LPG isn't calibrated yet but I love our new tank sensors. Garnet See Level with Bluetooth. Can't get image to attach.

Only dumped once our last trip when I probably would have dumped twice or three times assuming we were close to full.

Every time!
Old 06-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #26

THOR #6845
Black tank sensors

When my sensors get things attached to them and read incorrectly I usually clean them headed out on a trip by putting about 5 gallons of water in the tank (through the toilet) and I usually put 3-4 bags of ice down the toilet and by the time I get to my destination the inside of the tank is pretty washed down and I dump this upon hookup. It’s always worked good for me.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #27

State: Colorado
THOR #19181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolbert1 View Post
If you have outside flush hookups, Try flushing /cleaning the tanks for 10 min. Sometimes toilet paper gets on the sensors
As mentioned in post #3, I do not have those...
Old 06-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #28

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
We have never filled our black tanks before our gray tanks filled. Like many others our black tank sensors arec stuck on 3 lights, so we just ignore it.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #29
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Inside tank sensors always get coated and do not function long. I had to really clean out a poop tank that would not drain. Oh boy not one drop! Added a liquid quart of home septic tank enzyme treatment. Kept it in for three days and drove it fifty miles. Pulled that handle and bam! That tank emptied without any problem. The sensors worked for several weeks as well.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:52 PM   #30

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by donblanco View Post
So our new used rig shows the black tank to be 2/3 full even after visiting the dump station this morning and having it connected directly to a sewer drain in our current RV park. So other than ignoring it, what is the easiest way to remedy this situation?
They never work. Look down the hole if you think its filling.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #31

Model: Four Winds
THOR #12097
I have the same issues with the tank sensors. I'm sure the enzymes work. It's just a matter of having enough gunk in the tank for them to munch on. If you're going to use them, be careful when pouring them down the toilet. If you have a wax seal under your toilet, it'll eat away at the seal too. Ask me how I know. I just use the toilet wand the the end of a hose and that cleans them every time. Much simpler. And yes, there are sonic sensors. $$.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #32
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCouch View Post
I have the same issues with the tank sensors. I'm sure the enzymes work. It's just a matter of having enough gunk in the tank for them to munch on. If you're going to use them, be careful when pouring them down the toilet. If you have a wax seal under your toilet, it'll eat away at the seal too. Ask me how I know. I just use the toilet wand the the end of a hose and that cleans them every time. Much simpler. And yes, there are sonic sensors. $$.
RV toilets are supposed to use rubber seals, not wax seals. I know this by reading RV toilet installation instructions and understanding the reason why wax seals are no bueno in a moving house that can easily reach well over 100 degrees even at floor level.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:09 PM   #33

Model: Four Winds
THOR #12097
Agreed. I thought it was weird.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #34

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
I think Travelin’ Texans touched on something that might have been lost in all the discussions. If you left your black tank valve open while being connected to the sewer in the park, you likely have an issue with stuff stuck inside on the walls of your tank.

We notice in our RV that the monitors seem to jump in increments. Ours always goes from 0 to 33%. We have never had a reading that is in between those two numbers. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes for the monitors to register the empty tank, but it eventually goes to 0.

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:04 AM   #35

Model: Vegas Windsport Chateau C
State: Texas
THOR #14643
The Dump King

One of my titles at work
https://share.icloud.com/photos/04ny...qF-MDzzq-ROhEg

Are my photos available to view?

I take pride in the sensors reading accurately in the rental fleet I manage.
I use a clear elbow on the outlet and watch what comes out.
I fill the tank full up into the toilet over and over until clean water comes out. Usually the sensors read correctly after that. I’ll leave the valves open and the cap off to let them dry.
Sometimes the sensors do need to be replaced
If yours don’t read correctly you have solids caked to the walls of the tank or they are just broken. A lot of tanks have a second place ready for new sensors to be installed. The thin wires are fragile and may be the problem.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:18 PM   #36

State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Tank Sensors

My 5th wheel is almost 2 years old. Both gray & black tank sensors have always worked perfectly. When I am parked, I keep the gray valve open & the black valve closed. The black valve stays closed until the sensor display reads 100%. Then I open the black valve and dump into the sewer stem where I am parked. My procedure may not be the best, but it works. I use 1-ply toilet tissue. 2-ply is too much paper.

When the black tank sensor reads 100%, open the black tank valve & drain.
My black tank sensor reads 0%
Pour 2 buckets of water into the toilet & let the water drain out.
Close the black tank valve
Pour 1 envelope of Thetford Campa-Clean Original dry powder into the toilet.
Pour 1 bucket of water into the toilet.
Pour 1 bucket of water into the kitchen sink (rinses out the sewer hose)
My black sensor reads 6% to 8% from bucket of water added to toilet after powder
DONE

I always follow this procedure whenever the black sensor reads 100% and also before towing. I have tried liquid chemicals instead of powder and other brands. The Thetford Campa-Clean Original dry powder just works best. Whatever you do, do not just leave the black tank valve open while you are parked and dump when you leave. At least for me, this is guaranteed to foul the tank sensors.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:29 PM   #37

Model: Delano
THOR #18821
Quote:

I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and drop one in with a bit of water before every trip. No issues so far, but its also just the wife and me for weekend trips so we haven't actually filled it up with much.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #38

State: Alabama
THOR #5803
Cool Tank Sensors

Would you please identify the product (name, manufacturer, etc.) you are using. I tried the Amazon link in your message and it came up "Page Not Found".
Old 07-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #39

Model: Delano
THOR #18821
Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Diane View Post
Would you please identify the product (name, manufacturer, etc.) you are using. I tried the Amazon link in your message and it came up "Page Not Found".

Weird, i just clicked it and it worked. Maybe a weird forum things. Anyway was "Walex TOI-1090250 Porta-Pak Holding Tank Deodorizer Drop-Ins, Sunglow Scent (Pack of 50)"
Old 07-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #40

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
In regards to using Veggie oil in the tanks, I was told that you should use a cup of mineral oil in both black and grey tanks twice a year, but it you live and travel in areas where its unlikely the temps go below freezing veggie or coconut oil is also OK. I live in Canada so I do not have to say which one I use.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB