Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2020, 10:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Tankless Girard can't lower temp

2019 Thor Challenger Girard tankless water heater has been working great for 14months fulltime,suddenly I set my temp at 98degrees but water goes to 110 or higher and won't go any lower then 110 even when set to 96,doesn't make any difference on city or water pump or both together .

Old 11-15-2020, 11:25 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Where are you camping? If you are in a very warm climate where the city water temperature is very warm, it can overshoot the set temperature.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:22 AM   #3

THOR #13399
We're in key west yes it's hot but this started Wednesday using freshwater tank and pump, now on city water same problem,only change is propane tank down to 1/4 tank first time below 1/2 tank ,don't think that should make a difference, but?
Old 11-16-2020, 02:16 AM   #4

THOR #12751
This is all I can find in the service manual. Most temperature control problems should result on an Error Code on the control panel that will have an "E" followed by a number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 9.15.05 PM.png
Views:	160
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	27179  
Old 11-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #5

THOR #13399
I've checked everything twice,it must be the warmer input water. It's not a big deal just looking for any solution if you mix to much cold water in the heater shuts off. thanks for the help.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #6

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
I've checked everything twice,it must be the warmer input water. It's not a big deal just looking for any solution if you mix to much cold water in the heater shuts off. thanks for the help.
I'm fairly convinced it is the temperature of your incoming water supply.

I'm in Cape Coral, FL and the Gulf water temp is 78 degrees. Day time highs have been in the 80's and night time lows in the 70's so it stands to reason your fresh water tank and probably the city water supply is in the mid to upper 70's. It is going to take very little to heat that incoming water.

I can turn my hot water tank off in my home if I am not here for a week and it takes almost no time to have very hot water when I turn it back on.

You can make sure your supply knob on the back of the water heater is fully open. If it is partially closed (typically for colder incoming water), it will keep the water in the heating element longer. If it is wide open, you will let the water flow as fast as it can through the heat exchanger.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #7

THOR #13399
I think you're right about incoming water temperature,I checked the flow regulator knob yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's fully oopen,but I couldn't move it,didn't want to break it, sprayed with wd40 no luck. I'm going to try again tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
I have seen the problem too when it's hot and the Girard was on the sunny side of the coach.

Pete

Ps. It's 43 in Detroit sure wish I was in they keys!
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #9

THOR #13399
Old 11-21-2020, 10:16 PM   #10

Model: Citation SR24
THOR #13811
I called Gerard for this very same issue. It’s the incoming water temp. Mine will go to 118 degrees during summer months in Fla. I hate the unit overall but unfortunately it’s too difficult to change. You see they have a water heater and build an entire coach around it.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:24 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFla View Post
I called Gerard for this very same issue. It’s the incoming water temp. Mine will go to 118 degrees during summer months in Fla. I hate the unit overall but unfortunately it’s too difficult to change. You see they have a water heater and build an entire coach around it.
You would find it pretty easy to slip a Truma in it's place...
Old 11-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #12

THOR #13399
I have found a work around ,I run the water pump while showering I think it adds some cooler water from the tank and keeps the pressure up so I can add cold water with the handle without losing pressure and the heater kicking off. Plus seeing how I added the shower miser valve for boon docking,If the heater does kick off I can flip the valve until warm again then flip the valve back to shower,and when I'm done I use the valve to refill the tank.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #13

Model: Quantrum RC25
State: California
THOR #14016
We replaced ours with a 6 gallon DSI gas and electric. No cutting required. Replaced water heater, door with trim, switch with gas and electric on/off. Hot water service just like home.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:02 AM   #14

State: California
THOR #19337
heater temp

WE also have the Girard. Set to 107, once or twice it ran up to ~124 degrees. At other times we've been in the desert with temps above 100 and had no issue.

I've considered changing it but it works for a while, and I hate the cost of a new water heater. But it is very frustrating.