Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #19670
Tankless Troubles

I have a tankless hot water heater on my new Thor Omni BB 35 super C. It has never worked well. When we turn on the water it switches from hot to cold every few minutes. The hot water heater turns on and off multiple times throughout the shower. This has happened at multiple campgrounds. However, when I take it to Camping World, when they connected to their hose, it seems to work for them. I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions? Do I need to buy a new hot water heater on my own? Would a higher quality tankless hot water heater be the solution?

Old 07-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
There 3,210 posts on this topic. I have a 2020 Magnitude SV34 and this is my second coach with the Girard Tankless Water Heater..... and I love it!!!

1) You need a water regulator set to about 50PSI to provide the proper water pressure and flow for the Girard Tankless Water Heater to work properly.

2) Do not mix cold water. Only turn on the hot water.

3) Set the temperature for your desired use. I use 102 for showers. The wife likes 108 for washing the dishes.

4) Do not turn on any other faucets or flush the toilet when you are using the hot water.

5) Remove the water restrictor / strainers from all your faucets and make sure they are not clogged with construction debris, which will restrict flow and cause inconsistent hot water.

6) Make sure the water valve on the back of the unit is opened all the way.

7) If you have issues when on your fresh water tank, make sure the strainer on the pump has been cleaned out as well.

That should do it..... when we have full hooks up I can take a hot shower for an hour is I wanted to and never run out of hot water.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #3

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Tankless water heaters need a steady pressure of 50-55 psi to work effectively, when taking a shower set the temp at 105 or 106 and use only hot , do not mix with cold and when doing dishes and such set the temp at 115-120 F and again use only the hot. They work OK but if you were used to a 6 gallon tank water heater, its a learning curve to get used to the tankless. I personally was used to the tank type and did have a 6 gallon installed where the tankless one was and am very happy with doing it. The new water heater is propane and electric so when on shore power do not need to use the propane, It was a little pricey but worth it.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 07-17-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yup!
What they said about the incoming pressure!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:53 PM   #5

THOR #19670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
There 3,210 posts on this topic. I have a 2020 Magnitude SV34 and this is my second coach with the Girard Tankless Water Heater..... and I love it!!!

1) You need a water regulator set to about 50PSI to provide the proper water pressure and flow for the Girard Tankless Water Heater to work properly.

2) Do not mix cold water. Only turn on the hot water.

3) Set the temperature for your desired use. I use 102 for showers. The wife likes 108 for washing the dishes.

4) Do not turn on any other faucets or flush the toilet when you are using the hot water.

5) Remove the water restrictor / strainers from all your faucets and make sure they are not clogged with construction debris, which will restrict flow and cause inconsistent hot water.

6) Make sure the water valve on the back of the unit is opened all the way.

7) If you have issues when on your fresh water tank, make sure the strainer on the pump has been cleaned out as well.

That should do it..... when we have full hooks up I can take a hot shower for an hour is I wanted to and never run out of hot water.

Wow! Thank you so much!! This is great advice!
Old 07-17-2020, 05:53 PM   #6

THOR #19670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
Tankless water heaters need a steady pressure of 50-55 psi to work effectively, when taking a shower set the temp at 105 or 106 and use only hot , do not mix with cold and when doing dishes and such set the temp at 115-120 F and again use only the hot. They work OK but if you were used to a 6 gallon tank water heater, its a learning curve to get used to the tankless. I personally was used to the tank type and did have a 6 gallon installed where the tankless one was and am very happy with doing it. The new water heater is propane and electric so when on shore power do not need to use the propane, It was a little pricey but worth it.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB

Thank you so much!
Old 07-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #7

THOR #19670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Yup!

What they said about the incoming pressure!

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
One last thing:
Open whatever cabinet allows you to see the inside side of the heater.
Not the outside with the access door, the opposite side.
On your lower left there's a valve. Opening mine all the way did not cure the problem. Turn it all right, all left, and settle in the middle. Adjust it, after you've done all the othe recommendations, until works for you. That valve kept all else from curing the problem in mine.
And
There is no reason to ever use unknown shore water pressure. If you use your internal pump, pressure is always going to be same whether shore pressure is 20psi or 120psi.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #9

THOR #19670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
One last thing:
Open whatever cabinet allows you to see the inside side of the heater.
Not the outside with the access door, the opposite side.
On your lower left there's a valve. Opening mine all the way did not cure the problem. Turn it all right, all left, and settle in the middle. Adjust it, after you've done all the othe recommendations, until works for you. That valve kept all else from curing the problem in mine.
And
There is no reason to ever use unknown shore water pressure. If you use your internal pump, pressure is always going to be same whether shore pressure is 20psi or 120psi.

These are both great recommendations! Thanks!
Old 07-20-2020, 01:36 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #16050
Ok, so I am at my wits end when it comes to my Girard tankless water heater. The manual states it requires 45 psi for it to work properly. I haven't had any luck staying in any RV campgrounds that provide more than 40 psi. I have tried all the standard fixes and suggestions listed on several threads on this forum (changing shower heads, using only hot water, etc.) But have been unable to check the flow valve located on the backside of the tankless water heater.

Does anyone know how to access the backside of the tankless water heater on a 2020 Vegas 27.7?
Old 07-20-2020, 01:39 AM   #11

THOR #19670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esqui View Post
Ok, so I am at my wits end when it comes to my Girard tankless water heater. The manual states it requires 45 psi for it to work properly. I haven't had any luck staying in any RV campgrounds that provide more than 40 psi. I have tried all the standard fixes and suggestions listed on several threads on this forum (changing shower heads, using only hot water, etc.) But have been unable to check the flow valve located on the backside of the tankless water heater.

Does anyone know how to access the backside of the tankless water heater on a 2020 Vegas 27.7?

I have the same exact issue!!!! I was told by camping world that maybe I should just fill up the fresh tank and use the pump. Is there a better tankless out there that I can buy that works better??
Old 07-20-2020, 01:42 AM   #12

THOR #19670
Quote:

If you go to the area inside your camper that would be exactly behind where the tankless hot water heater is you should be able to find the back of your water heater. For me it was under the kitchen sink. I had to open the cupboard under the kitchen sink and I could see the back of the tankless hot water heater.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:45 AM   #13

THOR #16050
General RV made the same suggestion, however, after spending the amount of money I did on a new 2020 coach, I found the suggestion unacceptable and insulting. I shouldn't have to use the water in my tank when I am in a full hookup site. In my opinion, Girard/Thor needs to make it right. I shouldn't have to go on a forum and try and find a fix/work-around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoromnibb35 View Post
I have the same exact issue!!!! I was told by camping world that maybe I should just fill up the fresh tank and use the pump. Is there a better tankless out there that I can buy that works better??
Old 07-20-2020, 01:47 AM   #14

THOR #16050
Thanks...I think I looked there before and didn't see access. I'll double check.
Quote:
If you go to the area inside your camper that would be exactly behind where the tankless hot water heater is you should be able to find the back of your water heater. For me it was under the kitchen sink. I had to open the cupboard under the kitchen sink and I could see the back of the tankless hot water heater.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:48 AM   #15

THOR #19670
Quote:
General RV made the same suggestion, however, after spending the amount of money I did on a new 2020 coach, I found the suggestion unacceptable and insulting. I shouldn't have to use the water in my tank when I am in a full hookup site. In my opinion, Girard/Thor needs to make it right. I shouldn't have to go on a forum and try and find a fix/work-around.

I’m so glad to have met you here. I don’t feel alone anymore. I have been getting so much grief from Camping World. I felt the exact same thing I bought a very expensive brand new 2021 (not 2020) omni BB 35 motorcoach. The least I would expect is that I would have a working hot water tank. They don’t seem to be very sympathetic to that point. I even emailed the CEO of the company. I don’t know what else to do. Maybe we could brainstorm together how we can fight this problem.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:50 AM   #16

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I changed up my tankless to a 6 gallon propane/electric Suburban and am glad I did.
The only mod was that the tech shortened one drawer four inches to make it fit other than that it no problems. The biggest reason was we were used to the tank and it uses less water and with the electric option can save on propane. If you want unlimited hot water there other tankless heaters out there.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass
Old 07-20-2020, 01:52 AM   #17

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I don’t know what to tell you guys......

I attach my regulator and set it for 50psi at each campground have had yet to have an issue.

I just took a 10 minute shower set at 106 and it never fluctuated.

Maybe you have an issue with your unit or maybe you have a restriction in your plumbing due to construction debris in the water lines or a pinched line.

All I know is this is my second coach with the Girard and when you set it up properly, it works like a champ.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:53 AM   #18

THOR #16050
I plan to call Thor tomorrow and see if I can work my way up the chain of command until someone gives...[emoji1696]

I'll keep you posted.
Quote:
I’m so glad to have met you here. I don’t feel alone anymore. I have been getting so much grief from Camping World. I felt the exact same thing I bought a very expensive brand new 2021 (not 2020) omni BB 35 motorcoach. The least I would expect is that I would have a working hot water tank. They don’t seem to be very sympathetic to that point. I even emailed the CEO of the company. I don’t know what else to do. Maybe we could brainstorm together how we can fight this problem.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:54 AM   #19

THOR #19670
Quote:
Thanks...I think I looked there before and didn't see access. I'll double check.

Let me know what you find. It looks like this. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4568.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	25021
Old 07-20-2020, 01:56 AM   #20

THOR #19670
Quote:
I plan to call Thor tomorrow and see if I can work my way up the chain of command until someone gives...[emoji1696]

I'll keep you posted.

Please let me know if this works and how I can do the same. Thanks!