Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I did a test on how much cold water there is before the hot water is up to temp for us and our tankless water heater.
It's 20 ounces in the shower.
It easily pours into the VERY nearby toilet to assist the next flush.

I suggest we all do the shower test and post results In a specific thread so the facts come into exact play. We all have the ability to do the test, tanked and tankless folks alike, it'll be fun and educational.
A list of
Cold water amount
Heater type
Heater brand
Coach type.
We might find it's a poorly routed line or a missized filter. Who knows what we'll find if the info is gathered.

I nominate Bob to start and administrate the thread. I'm too jaded by my own test to start it.

I don't get the expense, the initiative, or the lack of understanding about what to do with 20 ounces of cold water.

If I were truly interested in saving water when boondocking, interested and flummoxed to the degree of spending hundreds of dollars so I don't have to collect 20 ounces(this is my test. let's say its a gallon of cold and it needs to sit in a bucket until the next flush) of water and then put it in the toilet, I'd run my gray water through a reverse osmosis and use it again and again. This is why I don't think it is truly a water saving thing to swap heaters. They thought of a heater swap but didn't think of the reverse osmosis almost 100% cure?

We all know. I'm all about modifications. If the water heater folk had 100 other mods... Maybe... Possibly... I'd understand they have ran out of projects and, well, art is for arts sake.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Those 20 ounces of water could be used to water-down the drinks of your uninvited party-crashers too!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
If I were truly interested in saving water when boondocking, interested and flummoxed to the degree of spending hundreds of dollars so I don't have to collect 20 ounces(this is my test. let's say its a gallon of cold and it needs to sit in a bucket until the next flush) of water and then put it in the toilet, I'd run my gray water through a reverse osmosis and use it again and again. This is why I don't think it is truly a water saving thing to swap heaters. They thought of a heater swap but didn't think of the reverse osmosis almost 100% cure?
Interesting thought. I wonder if the gray water is typically "too dirty" for an RO system to process. I know my house well water after softening is on the high side for my RO to process. It's working pretty hard and my TDS is not that low after processing.

Plus you would need a second water pump to pressurize the RO unit feed from the gray tank. Sounds easier to keep a small bucket in the shower. Or carry a solar shower bag.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #24

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Check out the Aqua View Shower Miser, get shower temp where you want push button water returns to freshwater tank,soap up push button water resumes at same temp. Doesn't fill grey tank. $60.00
Old 01-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
That's what my post was for:
To generate interesting thought(and to maybe get some added information from those who changed to tanked from tankless. I already have plans for the tankless in case I'm convinced to change to tanked. I convince easily and do mods for fun. )

https://www.amazon.com/Max-Water-Alk...9&sr=8-4-spell

The above link is the ro unit I have in my home.
It has a built in pump.
I don't have an ro in the rv. 16oz Bottled water is too easy.

The ro can allow close to 100% water savings from the rv shower and sink. You can run ro expelled water right back through an ro.
Or
Run the expelled water through a Brita for drinking.

I try to post alternatives as a service to newbs and people uncomfortable with thinking beyond what's initially presented.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:55 AM   #26

State: Florida
THOR #12281
Tankless Waterheaters Temperamental

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKamper View Post
I hope I am not the only one with this problem. When taking showers in our 2019 Thor Palazzo with a tankless water heater, the hot water cuts out about two times during each shower. I think I have checked everything. Anyone out there have any suggestions. These colds spots in the shower are brutal even in Florida. Thanks much
Tankless water heaters are a great new invention but the technology is still in its infancy. They are temperamental in that any change in water flow or pressure confuses them.

I have them in my house and my RV and I set their temperature and run them full hot and full open and beg everybody not to use the water while I am showering.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:29 AM   #27

Model: Outlaw 29H
THOR #10400
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
Check out the Aqua View Shower Miser, get shower temp where you want push button water returns to freshwater tank,soap up push button water resumes at same temp. Doesn't fill grey tank. $60.00
That's actually a pretty cool idea. Install might be a PITA depending on access to the back side of the shower control wall area.
azadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:11 AM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Truma has this technology built into their system.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:33 AM   #29

Model: Outlaw 29H
THOR #10400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Truma has this technology built into their system.
Yeah, looks like the 'Comfort Plus' model with the circulating water feature is only available in OEM systems? From what I can see the 3 models start at around $1200, not installed of course. German engineering is expensive.
azadv is offline   Reply With Quote