Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #1
CHS

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
taped light removal question

Hi all,
A while back I installed 3 of these solar lights with the 2 sided tape that came with them. They worked great but now do not work anymore and would like to replace them. Anyone know how to get them off without destroying or delaminating my exterior?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar motion.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	36543  

Old 03-21-2022, 12:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
Hi all,
A while back I installed 3 of these solar lights with the 2 sided tape that came with them. They worked great but now do not work anymore and would like to replace them. Anyone know how to get them off without destroying or delaminating my exterior?
Read the removal instructions for the tape you used. You can also try Go Gone and some fishing line. Also a heat gun at low heat.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:20 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I'd also try the Goo Gone approach... squirt a decent amount down behind where it can contact the tape. Let it soak for maybe 5 minutes or so. Don't let it set on the gelcoat forever... it contains petroleum; which smells like diluted kerosene (IMO ) .

I advise against using a heat gun... you can do some serious damage to the gelcoat if you're not extremely careful. I suggest using a hair dryer on high heat setting... keep it moving around the area where the tape is. It might take several minutes to soften the adhesive.

If the fishing line trick doesn't work, try VERY CAREFULLY using a PLASTIC scraper... NOT METAL... one of those cheap ones you can get at big box stores for paint stripping, etc.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Plastic razor blades
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 05:25 PM   #5

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Hair dryer, good putty knife, and patience.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:00 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Read the removal instructions for the tape you used. You can also try Go Gone and some fishing line. Also a heat gun at low heat.

and plastic razor blades, i used them to remove the old cracked clear bra thing

fishing line to get the big stuff, wet with goo gone and then blade
wash with soap and water when done and apply wax
Old 03-23-2022, 10:48 AM   #7
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Off and replaced.
Thanks for the suggestions. I had a set of plastic chisels from Harbor Freight and took the large one, pushed it up under the bottom and it popped and flew away. I was at first trying to pull and seemed they were on for good. but all three just popped off. Removed glue/tape. Cleaned area and reinstalled new ones from Rural King.

I like them due to having an on/off switch which some do not have. Simple, no wiring. They stay on most of the night at a low light, then when someone or something walks by they get bright for about 30 seconds then go low again. I like them to keep people (or small animals) from going by the electrical and water connections. ALso have one by the entrance door. Works nice when I need to take the dog out early in the morning.

https://www.ruralking.com/solar-powe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 03-23-2022, 01:41 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
Off and replaced.
Thanks for the suggestions. I had a set of plastic chisels from Harbor Freight and took the large one, pushed it up under the bottom and it popped and flew away. I was at first trying to pull and seemed they were on for good. but all three just popped off. Removed glue/tape. Cleaned area and reinstalled new ones from Rural King.

I like them due to having an on/off switch which some do not have. Simple, no wiring. They stay on most of the night at a low light, then when someone or something walks by they get bright for about 30 seconds then go low again. I like them to keep people (or small animals) from going by the electrical and water connections. ALso have one by the entrance door. Works nice when I need to take the dog out early in the morning.

https://www.ruralking.com/solar-powe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
We have one of those by the entry door and like it for the same reasons. Works better than the porch light which is actually on the slide so it leaves the actual entryway in the dark.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:28 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
We have one of those by the entry door and like it for the same reasons. Works better than the porch light which is actually on the slide so it leaves the actual entryway in the dark.
How did you all mount these?
Drill holes in rv?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 05:19 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Attached with double-sided tape, as the OP listed. They are solar powered, so no need to drill anything for mounting or wiring.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote